Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Interesting that most people record live sporting events.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Interesting that most people record live sporting events.

Old 07-12-2016, 15:20   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Interesting that most people record live sporting events.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201612074...#axzz4SAHSZruL

I remember when TiVo first started that there wasn't a reminder function, which was eventually added.

One of the reasons for this was people who wanted to watch sporting events live.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 15:25   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Interesting that most people record live sporting events.

When you look at the details it's not simply recording them for the sake of it.

Quote:
The reasons for this are myriad: 75% said they use the DVR as a back-up when they can’t watch the game live, 58% use it as a back-up when they might miss the start of a contest, and 58% like to skip ads.
TiVo got the reminder feature purely because V+ users missed the feature and moaned loud enough that VM got TiVo to add the feature. Although it functions differently and also records the program anyway.
Old 07-12-2016, 15:32   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Yep, but I'm still surprised that most people record live sporting events.

I had assumed that they would simply watch them as they happen and use Delay TV to watch anything that they want to see again.
Old 07-12-2016, 15:35   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well they mainly do watch them live. Most people will record them just in case they miss the start or skip adverts.

Most people don't record them as a matter of course.
Old 07-12-2016, 16:09   #5
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

with the hours I work, recording live sports is often the only way I can watch them
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:14   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I had assumed that they would simply watch them as they happen and use Delay TV to watch anything that they want to see again.
I know a lot of people think like that, but a football match watched as a recording is just as exciting as watching it live if you don't already know the result.

The main problem is when your friends ring up before you've had a chance to watch it and give the game away.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:30   #7
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

With 3 kids and a wife that works shifts I nearly always record midweek football as I'm very rarely finished bedtime/housework before a game starts. There is the risk of finding out the result from various sources....or worst of all switching everything on to find the tuner being shown on the telly is the one recording but it's either that or miss half the game. Plus the addition of not having to listen to punditry is too much of a bonus.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 20:21   #8
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

I record boxing when it's on either Boxnation or SKY. The show tends to last about 4 or 5 hours. Usually there's maybe 4 or 5 live fights on the card but I really only want to watch about 2 of them. Generally the chief support fight is on around 9:30pm with the main event around 10:30pm. I'll let the show run for a couple of hours and will fast forward through all the adverts and pre-fight build up of the lower fights. I'll watch maybe a round or 2 of the undercard fights but if they are boring I'll fas forward to the result. I'd say 9 times out of 10 I'm usually through all of the undercard stuff within about 45 mins and caught up with the live broadcast in time to watch the fights I want to see live. A 5 hour show watched in less than 3 hours.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 21:52   #9
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I watch sports live, but record just in case.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 22:06   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well they mainly do watch them live. Most people will record them just in case they miss the start or skip adverts.

Most people don't record them as a matter of course.
But if you're watching it live you wouldn't be able to FF the adverts

There again, people probably pause it to go to the loo, make a drink, answer the door etc so FFing through the adverts allows them to get up to speed with everyone else.

This reminds me of when Peter Kaye said that his mum doesn't like to pause her programmes as other people in the country might want to get on with watching it
Old 07-12-2016, 22:39   #11
MisterQ

I guess it is difficult with Virgin Media as you have to rely on old fashioned Padding for overruns. I tend to use other sources for free channels as it tends to be more reliable and has dynamic epg etc. and Now Tv for sky sports as it is a fraction of the price of a monthly subscription.

P.S. Has most of Virgins' web sites been down today, or just my internet? Getting to the homepage is ok but trying to login or access webmail or service status or anything else doesn't work. Spinning circles and errors on Pc Anywhere but that seems to be normal?

Oh, Finally got an error:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I watch sports live, but record just in case.
+1
Old 08-12-2016, 07:54   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
I guess it is difficult with Virgin Media as you have to rely on old fashioned Padding for overruns. I tend to use other sources for free channels as it tends to be more reliable and has dynamic epg etc. and Now Tv for sky sports as it is a fraction of the price of a monthly subscription.
It's easy enough to extend a live recording. That is a non issue.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:09   #14
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's easy enough to extend a live recording. That is a non issue.
Speak for yourself! It is a massive improvement having this basic feature on all the other platforms except Virgin Media. Sometimes American sport can overrun 3 or 4 hours or more. Sometimes you want to record a program later in the evening that is delayed due an earlier program being extended. You cannot extend everything. Much better for the recording to automatically start and stop at the correct times.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:16   #15
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
Speak for yourself! It is a massive improvement having this basic feature on all the other platforms except Virgin Media. Sometimes American sport can overrun 3 or 4 hours or more. Sometimes you want to record a program later in the evening that is delayed due an earlier program being extended. You cannot extend everything. Much better for the recording to automatically start and stop at the correct times.
Its been a bug bear of mine for years! A Dynamic EPG would improve VM tv service IMO.
Yes there is extra padding , but you cannot do this for every event, there would not be enough space on the HD.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote