Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 2

Old 10-03-2012, 22:05   #1
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Superhub 2

What features would you like to see in the next superhub?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 22:08   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Superhub 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post

Simple i want a modem not a hub. they have tried it once it does not do what they intended it to do according to most users.

All they need do is issue a modem and then ensure that the only support given is to the modem. If there is a issue with the customers router then it is the customers responsibility to get it fixed.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:28   #3
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

agreed
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:12   #4
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Full event log data.

Full stats including correctables/uncorrectables. Cynically suppressed in the current SH.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:14   #5
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
i want 900mbits on it for every one
Old 10-03-2012, 23:19   #6
cookdn
Inactive

cookdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Simple i want a modem not a hub. they have tried it once it does not do what they intended it to do according to most users.

All they need do is issue a modem and then ensure that the only support given is to the modem. If there is a issue with the customers router then it is the customers responsibility to get it fixed.
I agree but this isn't going to happen as the mass-market now expects a hub.

Maybe a strategy would be to develop a new business orientated modem-router as this market is not interested in a hub. I know that the reason they have moved from modems to the business variant of the super-hub (BSHUB?) is so that they can provide static addressing via L2TP for business customers. I cannot see why this cannot be a hardware device that focuses on core functionality at the expense of consumer orientated hub features such as firewalls and wireless. This could be then become an requestable option to more technically minded non-business customers who would rather provide their own solution.

The issue for VM would be that technical support for the consumer market would have to handle two devices and they are clearly attempting to consolidate onto a single standard device.

Best regards
David
cookdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:23   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Give customers the choice between a hub and a modem - hub for most consumers, modem for prosumers.

One size obviously does not fit all.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:26   #8
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

i think they shoudl develop a staratgy that amkes the superhub 2 teh hub and is thre default for all cusotmer but.... and big but

i think they should maybe either have off the shelf modem only or one they have coinfigured so people who do not want the superhub would ahve alternative that they probally pay for so in adsl example

you sing up for isp get adsl rotuer with modem and rotuer you dnt like it so by a new one yoru self and plug it in

only problem is virign wont allow oyu to do that so by them having a modem that they knwo themself they sell it to the costs but ti remains there property and when the cusotmer leaves they ge the money refunded so it be like buying oyur own adsl rotuer but in this case i you leave you get your money back and virign actively looks for it to be return or collects it
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:28   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Give customers the choice between a hub and a modem - hub for most consumers, modem for prosumers.

One size obviously does not fit all.
What he said. Though that's kind of what they tried to do with "modem mode"

Though if they're going to force a Superhub 2 on customers, I'd like them to provide the equivalent of my Ultimate SuperHub mod as standard. And fix the seriously broken software bridging code.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:30   #10
cookdn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookdn View Post
[....]Maybe a strategy would be to develop a new business orientated modem-router [....] I cannot see why this cannot be a hardware device that focuses on core functionality at the expense of consumer orientated hub features such as firewalls and wireless. This could be then become an requestable option to more technically minded non-business customers who would rather provide their own solution. [....]
Sorry to reply to my own post. VM could market this as a SOHO (business-lite) solution at a modest premium over the consumer tariffs. I for one would be willing to pay for a service more focused to my needs with a better quality (UK based?) level of support should I need it.

Apologies if I am dragging this off-topic.

Best regards
David
Old 10-03-2012, 23:30   #11
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

BT infinity still install a stand alone modem so its as though VM have joined the all in one clang then got left behind or even mugged themselves.

Am I right in believing that when Sky, talktalk etc. fibre product come into play that they will have the stand alone modem fitted too?

Whats funny is whats written on router boxes, ADSL only and Cable only but now BT has put itself on the cable only boxes so what now, what was the plan? to let BT and those that use their line take over the router market too?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 00:02   #12
cookdn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
BT infinity still install a stand alone modem so its as though VM have joined the all in one clang then got left behind or even mugged themselves.

Am I right in believing that when Sky, talktalk etc. fibre product come into play that they will have the stand alone modem fitted too?

Whats funny is whats written on router boxes, ADSL only and Cable only but now BT has put itself on the cable only boxes so what now, what was the plan? to let BT and those that use their line take over the router market too?
The consumer home hub supplied by BT Retail does standard ADSL and VDSL for the BT Infinity (FTTC) service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub). Openreach provides VDSL routers for business FTTC, the customer then has to provide a PPPoE router.

I imagine that the likes of TalkTalk will have to provide their own VDSL capable kit for home FTTC connections provided through BT Wholesale. I'm not sure how LLU providers such as Sky (Easynet) are going to do FTTC as the service at present depends on direct connectivity to their exchange equipment with the subscribers copper pair. They could go down the sub loop unbundling route, effectively unbundling at the street cabinet level, but that would get expensive very quickly (Openreach Doc).

Best regards
David
Old 11-03-2012, 00:09   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The BT stand alone modem is actually a router with the router disabled - the router is actually quite fast, robust and reliable, but requires a firmware hack to enable.

The BT stand alone router is actually a router with a built-in modem as well, so it's both ADSL and cable.

But the "Openreach fibre modem" as it's called is compulsory for all operators using BT Openreach FTTC infrastructure.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookdn View Post
The consumer home hub supplied by BT Retail does standard ADSL and VDSL for the BT Infinity (FTTC) service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub). Openreach provides VDSL routers for business FTTC, the customer then has to provide a PPPoE router.
Wrong on both counts.

The Home Hub is not capable of VDSL. It requires an external modem for VDSL. Openreach supplies the external modem for all FTTC VDSL connections.

They also do not provide VDSL routers for business FTTC. The standard FTTC modem is supplied by Openreach for both. The ISP (not Openreach) optionally supplies a router for any and all connections. There is no distinction between business and residential.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 00:22   #14
cookdn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Wrong on both counts.

The Home Hub is not capable of VDSL. It requires an external modem for VDSL. Openreach supplies the external modem for all FTTC VDSL connections.

They also do not provide VDSL routers for business FTTC. The standard FTTC modem is supplied by Openreach for both. The ISP (not Openreach) optionally supplies a router for any and all connections. There is no distinction between business and residential.
I stand corrected (on both counts) first a misunderstanding (maybe I'll clarify things a bit on the Wikipedia article), second a misnaming.

I guess it should be easy for wholesale providers to supply PPPoE capable kit to work in-conjunction with the Openreach supplied VDSL modem. It is just the LLU providers that are a bit stuck without starting to make significant investments in new infrastructure.

Best regards
David
Old 25-07-2012, 06:30   #15
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

What features would you like to see in the next superhub 2 or 3?

Simultaneous Dual Band
Gigabit WiFi
Up to 450 (2.4Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) for speeds up to 1750Mbps

better WiFi coverage throughout your home
USB ports
Router that Features Torrent App
external aerial so you can upgrade it in the future
5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
Double firewall protection
Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Security WPA/WPA2—PSK
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote