Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with Thomson ST585v6 config.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Recommend a cable router with QoS

Old 29-07-2008, 20:50   #1
dan84
Inactive

dan84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommend a cable router with QoS

I'm looking at buying a cable router with QoS controls and don't know where to start.
I have virginmedia cable connected to a dlink di-524 router. I share a house with 3 other people and need the QoS to make sure everyone can use the internet for what they want when they want.
My house mates mainly use it for facebook and downloading while I only use it for gaming and email. I often find gaming impossible and forgive me for being selfish but I would like to use QoS to make my games playable again but still let them upload photos or whatever and then have torrents and p2p getting whats left.

I cant find the feature on the current router or on any firmware upgrades available so I was wondering if someone could recommend a similar replacement that has QoS or something else that would help. (I did look through the router recommendations sticky but cant find anything on QoS).

Thanks in advance.
dan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2008, 21:15   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Recommend a cable router with QoS

If you go for the Linksys WRT54GL, you can upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT or Tomato.

Guides for QoS setup are here for DD-WRT & here for Tomato...

to the forums by the way...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 21:43   #3
dan84
Inactive

Thanks very much . Was actually just reading a similar post where you mentioned tomato. Shame the 3rd party firmware doesnt already support my current router but this is a nice (read cheap!) solution. Say I wanted to get it right now at a certain "Computer Superstore" rather than order one online would I be able to use the firmware on a WRT54GSUK. I noticed dd-wrt supports WRT54GS but not sure about this extra UK bit.

I love forums but I doubt I can be much help here.
Old 29-07-2008, 21:45   #4
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan84 View Post
Thanks very much . Was actually just reading a similar post where you mentioned tomato. Shame the 3rd party firmware doesnt already support my current router but this is a nice (read cheap!) solution. Say I wanted to get it right now at a certain "Computer Superstore" rather than order one online would I be able to use the firmware on a WRT54GSUK. I noticed dd-wrt supports WRT54GS but not sure about this extra UK bit.

not all this Linux firmware works with the whole WRT54G* range btw. v1-v4 is only supported or something. look at the links and it'll explain it
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 22:01   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Comprehensive supported devices article for DD-WRT here and basic Tomato here...

UK suffix shouldn't matter as I believe this just has different channel support to the US version, 13 channels in Europe 11 in the US.
Old 29-07-2008, 22:20   #6
dan84
Inactive

Thanks again. Tomato looks very decent for 3rd party.
Old 29-07-2008, 22:25   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks again. Tomato looks very decent for 3rd party.
I think a few other members here would back that up...
Old 03-08-2008, 20:46   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
Yep Yep and Yes...

I'd be using it myself but my current router doesn't support it (yet!) so using dd-wrt.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 16:46   #9
dan84
Inactive

Just to let you know I got the WRT-gl and the tomato setup was a breeze. Seems to be working ok when house mates are just surfing but the connection still gets hammered when they start using "unclassified". Just need to tinker with the settings and find out which ports they are using I hope. The router itself is great by the way .
Old 07-08-2008, 23:10   #10
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
Im using it at this time on a WRT54/GL and have never had a problem with it .
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 23:57   #11
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Does anyone know if the QoS handling is less CPU intensive on Tomato than it is on DD-WRT?

I'm running one of the old V4 WRT54G routers and the CPU struggles with QoS and 10meg maxing out at about 7meg.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 14:15   #12
gigeorge
Inactive

gigeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone used ddwrt on a wt320n ?
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote