Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 04-08-2009, 10:40   #46
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
OK have googled RAW. I take it that my choices of new camera will probably not be advanced enough to take pictures in the RAW? So maybe I had better stay with Paintshop.
The Olympus E-420 takes RAW images, as does the Sony A200.

The advantage of RAW is the ability to tweak the image in a program like Photoshop or Elements to get the most out of it, or to be able to recover from a mistake you've made when taking the original shot. You can do that with a jpg of course but the RAW image allows for much more manipulation without adding digital artefacts to the final photo.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12   #47
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

That's interesting DW. Looks like I will also have to factor the cost of Photoshop in to my budget.
I see I can get a free trial of Elements 7 so I will have a play with that as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:48   #48
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's interesting DW. Looks like I will also have to factor the cost of Photoshop in to my budget.
I see I can get a free trial of Elements 7 so I will have a play with that as well.
You may want to play with these 2 other Free alternative Image Manipulation programs:
Paint.Net - www.paint.net/
GIMP - www.gimp.org/windows
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00   #49
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I already have both of those. I do use paint.net but started using Paint Shop Pro again a couple of weeks ago (I used to have it years ago and somehow, probably during a computer upgrade, I managed to loose it. )

I'm not too happy with Gimp. I have used it after Maggy recommended it months ago, or rather tried to use it, but it doesn't think the way I do and it seems like I'm using a massive sledge hammer to crack a peanut, and most of the time I can't even find the hammer.

It looks like I have plenty to play with whilst my wrist heals.
Old 04-08-2009, 13:18   #50
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Just been having a play using Paint.net and it's great for manipulating photos. Don't know why I didn't do it before. Great fun.

Really pleased with this one. ( photo taken with my Nikon L2 )

Last edited by joglynne; 12-09-2017 at 20:41.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 14:09   #51
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just been having a play using Paint.net and it's great for manipulating photos. Don't know why I didn't do it before. Great fun.

Really pleased with this one. ( photo taken with my Nikon L2 )
That's rather beautiful.

Unless you're really serious I don't think the huge expense of Photoshop is worth it, you get most of the tools in Elements 7 for a lot less. Amazon have it on offer at the moment for £57 new and £28 used.
Old 04-08-2009, 14:32   #52
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Here's an example of RAW vs JPG recovery. The original image was underexposed by two stops by mistake. Fortunately the D90 can capture both RAW and JPG at the same time so I was able to recover the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoxyOoops.jpg (253.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 14:33   #53
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Wahoo I'm on a roll. Why didn't I try this before. I quite fancy the idea of a series of 5 of these blown up and mounted in my sitting room. Why pay good money when Paint.net does so much for free. I will try the trial download of Elements though. Doing this with the photos I already have has whetted my appetite to go a step further.

Thanks DW for starting me off.

@ DW add...I see, there seems to be more detail in the RAW adjusted photo. Though I do like the depth of colour in the adjusted jpeg image.

Old 04-08-2009, 14:36   #54
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Wahoo I'm on a roll. Why didn't I try this before. I quite fancy the idea of a series of 5 of these blown up and mounted in my sitting room. Why pay good money when Paint.net does so much for free. I will try the trial download of Elements though. Doing this with the photos I already have has whetted my appetite to go a step further.

Thanks DW for starting me off.
Way to go, jo. Excellent.
Old 05-08-2009, 16:43   #55
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Some new Nikon compact cameras announced, including one with a built in projector! http://press.nikonusa.com/2009/08/in...videos_for.php
Old 06-08-2009, 14:16   #56
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

Jo, you just have a natural talent for creating pretty things.

And I got lost on page 2 or was it 3... I give up!
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 13:55   #57
jabtas
Inactive

jabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud of

Quote:
You choose one that you think a rank amateur would have the most fun with. Thanks for humouring me. Sleep tight.

Apologies for taking so long to reply

We been at the caravan for a few days, and I had no web access

What do you actully intend to do with the pic, It may give me some idea of what to send

Is it just one of the firework shots that you are intrested in ??

EDIT

Just read the above posts, and I now see what you are doing

I will PM a couple of shots over
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:10   #58
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks jabtas. Just had a quick dabble and thought I would let you see the result of my first manipulation of one of your photographs just using Paint Shop. The way I have mangled your photo probably isn't your cup of tea but I'm rapidly developing a fascination for the effects that can be achieved.

I had to reconstruct part of the eyelid and it could do with some more work but I was starting to go cross eyed cloning between 2 images on my laptop. Would have been better to use my monitor but I couldn't wait while my main computer fired up.

Old 07-08-2009, 16:23   #59
jabtas
Inactive

jabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud of

Funky

If you want to have a look at a free peice of software for adding effects to pics, much more traditonal results than your are working on tho

Check out Virtual Photographer
http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Here are some of the stuff I managed to acheive with it
http://www.pbase.com/jabtas/virtual_...er_conversions
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:42   #60
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I will have a look at Virtual Photographer over the weekend and see how it works. It was your conversions photos that started me off on this quest to change reality.

Add....Bobbins!!!!! I forgot, I already checked that out and I have to have photoshop to be able to use that program.