Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flashed by a speed camera

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Flashed by a speed camera

Old 26-10-2006, 19:08   #16
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Flashed by a speed camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotnig View Post
Yes, oncoming cameras are a different design, quite distinctive in fact. they don't flash, they use something else.
Forward facing speed cameras are called Truvelo and look like:

They are designed to catch a picture of the driver as well. They produce no visible flash, so drivers won't actually know they have ben caught out, until that NIP comes through the letter box as it uses an infra red flash.

Unlike Gatso speed camera's, Truvelo speed cameras use road strips, these can be seen just before the Truvelo speed camera and in some cases on both sides of the road. They are becoming more favourable over Gatso's.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2006, 19:16   #17
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Yup, those are the very ones, thanks Mick.
Old 26-10-2006, 19:49   #18
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Are you sure there are no temporary speed restrictions in force?

Did the camera flash twice in quick succession did you notice this?
Yes - there are building works nearby by all the signs say 50 - I checked on the way home.

Yes - the camera flashed twice - about 1 second apart...
Old 26-10-2006, 20:37   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Unlike Gatso speed camera's, Truvelo speed cameras use road strips, these can be seen just before the Truvelo speed camera and in some cases on both sides of the road. They are becoming more favourable over Gatso's.
Truvelo cameras still use two lines for double checking your speed (on the photo) - you will see two thin lines just in front of them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 23:03   #20
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Aha the M41...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 23:30   #21
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

I have recently been flashed by a Gatso camera, what happens next? The Police have 14 days to send you a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP). They also get an allowance of a couple of days for the post to deliver it. So if its more than 17days since you were flashed they are too late to prosecute you, unless you were driving a company car, hire car or someone elses car. In these circumstances they are allowed more time to track you down.

daz300
daz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 09:05   #22
LSainsbury

Well I checked agin this moring on the way into work - there no other signs say anything lower than 50mph.

About 50 meters before the camera there is a sign saying 50 mph.

I'm 99% sure I was doing between 39 and 41 mph - there is no way I was going anywhere near 50mph!

We'll just have to sit it out and see what happens - will keep you posted!

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
Aha the M41...
Always know it was the WCR! Never knew it had a motorway designation!

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

YES!!!! YES!!!! YESSSSS!!!!

Seeeeee!! - Look at this!!

Here's the camera in question - and you can see a 50mph sign on the carriageway above.....

Right - come on then Mr Police force send me an NIP and YOU WILL have a fight!!!

Edit - By the looks of the photograph - that's the southbound road - those tower blocks are near the WestOne shopping center - I think....

Edit 2 - nope - it's northbound alright - the continuation of the photos show them traveling north...
Old 27-10-2006, 09:45   #23
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

And is there a sign on the road you were travelling on?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 09:53   #24
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
And is there a sign on the road you were travelling on?

Yep - see post #1 - and confirmed today - there's one before the speed camera...50MPH.
Old 27-10-2006, 10:08   #25
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Right O, missed that
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 15:06   #26
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Has anyone realised that truvelo and specs cameras are ONLY for motorists not bikers?

both take photos of the front of the vehicle, bikes don't have a forward facing number plate.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 17:46   #27
injuneer
Inactive

injuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to behold

We've got a couple of these things sprung up where I live, they're Monitron cameras and contain no film but are directly linked by an ADSL link to a monitoring centre. They are replacing Gatsos with these in London.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm
injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 18:26   #28
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I enjoyed playing the speed trap game, I got 9 out of 19 lol
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 18:35   #29
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Forward facing speed cameras are called Truvelo and look like:

They are designed to catch a picture of the driver as well. They produce no visible flash, so drivers won't actually know they have ben caught out, until that NIP comes through the letter box as it uses an infra red flash.

Someone has painted a £ sign on all of them in Nottingham near the tennis centre Made me chuckle the other day when I went past them.
Old 19-06-2007, 19:41   #30
LSainsbury

Grrrrrrr....what is it with me and speed cameras! I don't drive fast - I think I'm quite careful...most of the time.

Tonight I was flashed by a Gatso camera.
I knew it was there.
I saw it.
I've seen it hundreds of times.
I've been past it hundreds of times.

So what happened then? I accelerated to get in front of a bus which was parked up in a bus stop and probably was about to indicate to come back out.

Now - this camera was on the other side of the road - and there are camera road markings (the dashes that they reference against) on the other side of the road only.

Do you think I just set it off 'cus I was going a bit fast past the bus?

Can they catch up with me and give me a fine / points even though they have no markings to reference the speed against?

I only saw the one flash...