Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

Old 17-02-2012, 08:53   #1
moowow!
Inactive

moowow! is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

I signed up for a trail of netflix at the weekend, and on Sunday i was watching three hours of tv programs in hd then the quality dropped i spend ages fiddling with my signal trying to make it better, but then i turn the pc on and see ive been capped by vm!!!

Virgin media need to sort out there capping system and stop capping the innocent users out there in peak time!
Netflix is meant to be the future of tv? Well not if you got virgin media cas they will cap you!!!
moowow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 09:23   #2
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moowow! View Post
I signed up for a trail of netflix at the weekend, and on Sunday i was watching three hours of tv programs in hd then the quality dropped i spend ages fiddling with my signal trying to make it better, but then i turn the pc on and see ive been capped by vm!!!

Virgin media need to sort out there capping system and stop capping the innocent users out there in peak time!
Netflix is meant to be the future of tv? Well not if you got virgin media cas they will cap you!!!
think about it, you hav just said it, netflix is the future of tv, it is a direct threat to virgin own tv service, so they wont just turn of stm for netflix

it business sense to make sure sometihn that can take yoru business isnt givena free role

find aisp that isnt doign the same
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:33   #3
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Netlfix and Lovefilm are coming to Virgin in the near future from what I hear. However it will be via the TiVo box, which has it's own connection and therefore will not suffer capping.

Unfortunately capping is a necessary evil with Virgin.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:37   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

they arent capping you because of the "competition". Stm is Stm and once you have hit that limit it doesnt matter, whether you was using netflix, playing games of sending a billion emails. I know it sucks ass but it is all part of VMs rubbish traffic management policy to protect bandwidth and availability for all users. You havent stated which tier you are on so the only thing I can suggest is to upgrade to a higher tier like 50mbit which has a higher threshold or 100mbit which isn't subject to traffic management atm. It all depends on how much you think you are going to use netflix going forward.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 10:04   #5
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
think about it, you hav just said it, netflix is the future of tv, it is a direct threat to virgin own tv service, so they wont just turn of stm for netflix

it business sense to make sure sometihn that can take yoru business isnt givena free role

find aisp that isnt doign the same
well im able to sign up sky, and other VM competition, they dont block skys website just the same way they dont throttle the "competition" - think about what you said
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:51   #6
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
well im able to sign up sky, and other VM competition, they dont block skys website just the same way they dont throttle the "competition" - think about what you said
my comment has been took out of context and i think i might have put myself across wrongly.

i was not stating they block there compettion i meant that they are throttling bandiwdht hungier application which are thing like netflix which in turns blocks there ocmpetiotn for ther etv service

does that make more sense if not i am not trying to suggest there delbriate doing it just need to restrict things
Old 17-02-2012, 16:18   #7
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

they manage traffic to lower network load at peak time, which saves them money on the otherwise required network upgrades
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:52   #8
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Once Youview comes out VM will not be able to have everyone using it constantly capped. They would lose business massively. You are a touch ahead of the curve OP, but when IPTV becomes normal usage VM and all other ISPs will change. It makes no business sense to punish your customers for normal usage of your product, not to mention the advertising problems it would cause.

50meg has no downstream STM so I shifted to that in prep for Youview. If you are ahead of the 'normal usage' curve you may have to do the same.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:07   #9
moowow!
Inactive

moowow! is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Once Youview comes out VM will not be able to have everyone using it constantly capped. They would lose business massively. You are a touch ahead of the curve OP, but when IPTV becomes normal usage VM and all other ISPs will change. It makes no business sense to punish your customers for normal usage of your product, not to mention the advertising problems it would cause.

50meg has no downstream STM so I shifted to that in prep for Youview. If you are ahead of the 'normal usage' curve you may have to do the same.
Thats the point, Virgin need to update there system so the cap dont affect things like your IPTV, I only watched it for 3 hours! Could you imagen if a hole family used netflix your internet would be constantly capped!! Whats the point in me having a 10mb internet connection when i cant use it!

They need smart filtering like other isps that give pritory to important traffic like iptv and voip and less importance to mass download at peek like p2p (i use p2p as much as anybody else but i make sure i download in the morning so i have peak speed)
moowow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:20   #10
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
Thats the point, Virgin need to update there system so the cap dont affect things like your IPTV, I only watched it for 3 hours! Could you imagen if a hole family used netflix your internet would be constantly capped!! Whats the point in me having a 10mb internet connection when i cant use it!

They need smart filtering like other isps that give pritory to important traffic like iptv and voip and less importance to mass download at peek like p2p (i use p2p as much as anybody else but i make sure i download in the morning so i have peak speed)

Or they could just do what Sky have done, Provide a big fat over kill of a fibre back haul and just open up all pipes. No traffic management at all at anytime, No usage limits, No traffic shaping its just one big free for all...

Oh and they also offer a "gamers" profile, all for the massive sum of £7.50 a month.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:28   #11
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
Or they could just do what Sky have done, Provide a big fat over kill of a fibre back haul and just open up all pipes. No traffic management at all at anytime, No usage limits, No traffic shaping its just one big free for all...

Oh and they also offer a "gamers" profile, all for the massive sum of £7.50 a month.
virign backhual isnt the problem it is the last mile so to say, from teh node to eth hosue they are contentieneded inteh form virign are sellign to many connection for the line, so increase backhual will improve tihngs but the smt would sitll be needed, and virign already sdhaped p2p during peak hours , they jsut uste stm as a way of limiting there costs not jsut from teh fact of the required upgrades but fromt eh cost of the internet bandwidth to
Old 17-02-2012, 22:39   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
They need smart filtering like other isps that give pritory to important traffic like iptv and voip
Virgin claim the whole point of stm is to stop the minority (something like 2%) of users from negatively impacting network performance to the detriment of other users. What you suggest goes directly against that philosophy atm. They have capped you because of the volume of traffic you are generating, especially on docsis 1, and uncapping it and actually prioritising the traffic screws things up big time.

You have lead us to a very good point though which many of us have raised before. Technology has got to the point now where even the slowest of connections are fast and like many users have argued, what do you need more than 1mb/sec for? The OP shouldn't have to upgrade to 50mbit or 100mbit to be relieved of stm when the speed he is getting atm is more than sufficient. I think it would be a great idea for all the tiers is there was a level 1 and 2 where 1 is the more expensive and un-stm'd and 2 is cheaper and stm'd. As an example (I don't know how much 10mb is so this is an example).

10mbit unmanaged on docsis 3 for £15/month for peeps like the OP for netflix and whatever else

10mbit managed with stm on docsis 1 for £10/month, designed for light/moderate use (like it is now)

Both offer you respectable speed which everyone is happy with however they are designed for different usage patterns. I would say you could do the same for up to 50mbit however I think anyone on 100mbit would argue that they want the speed because they download tonnes and want it done asap so they wouldnt be interested in paying less for thresholds to be impossed which would only screw them over.

(I am charging 10% commision on the above idea )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
virign backhual isnt the problem it is the last mile so to say, from teh node to eth hosue they are contentieneded inteh form virign are sellign to many connection for the line, so increase backhual will improve tihngs but the smt would sitll be needed, and virign already sdhaped p2p during peak hours , they jsut uste stm as a way of limiting there costs not jsut from teh fact of the required upgrades but fromt eh cost of the internet bandwidth to
reminded me of this:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs!

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:15   #13
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post

Fine but we all know how fast the average ADSL speed is compared with VM's average
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:38   #14
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Fine but we all know how fast the average ADSL speed is compared with VM's average
You are making the mistake of confusing speed with bandwidth. Sky can support widespread use of IPTV because they do have the bandwidth. VM won't be able to because they don't have sufficient bandwidth at node level to do so. Most IPstream based ISPs won't be able to support it either because it won't be economic to do so given the BTw charging structure.

Unles YouView pay the ISPs for the bandwidth their service will require they simply won't get it and it will be them that fails not the ISPs.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:58   #15
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Well my ADSL line gives me around 14Mb, your 30Mb will give you 30Mb but..

If we both download a lot in 24 hours you will be throttled by as much as 75% of your speed leaving you with around 7.5Mb for 5 hours, I will be getting 14Mb constantly no matter what I download. Your peer2peer is managed all the time and alsorts of STM kicks in at peak times--I can download what I want via any protocol 24 hours a day.

If neither of us download then speed doesn't matter as browsing the web on 30Mb or 14Mb will give the same results. Or at least not a noticeable difference, If we both have kids streaming HD Youtube, gaming, facebooking both connections will cope fine.

The only real difference will be I pay £7.50 maximum you pay £22ish

ADSL speeds are increase all the time and for those stuck on very long lines fibre from the EXCHANGE is being looked at as a solution. Removing the long poor quality copper line and replacing it with fibre optic.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote