Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving the TV connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Moving the TV connection

Old 26-03-2011, 22:10   #1
Coop78
Inactive

Coop78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving the TV connection

Hi, I'm new to the site, can any one help ? I want to move the cable from one side of the living room to the other. The problem i have is that I dont want cables running around door ways and other openings. I phone Virgin to get another location added into the living room but they want £100.

Where the cable comes from the ground and mounts to the house is where i now need the new connection. Can i buy the cable and connectors and do it myself ? Is it a case of just putting splitters in ?
Coop78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2011, 22:21   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Moving the TV connection

Are you saying you want your TV somewhere close to the box mounted on your internal wall? If so, you should be able to get away with unscrewing the existing cable and replacing it with a short length of pre-made satellite grade coax. The sort with moulded f-connectors on either end is what you need.

Be aware that radically changing the cable length in your house can alter signal levels and this in turn can cause your service to go on the fritz. Replacing the original cable should restore things if this happens though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:42   #3
Coop78
Inactive

Coop78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, The box is mounted on the outside of the house, I need to go through the wall, then to the TV.
Coop78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 00:36   #4
GordonD
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB XXL & Telephone
GordonD is on a distinguished roadGordonD is on a distinguished road

I think you will need to give a bit more info, for example does the existing VM cable run from the outside box along the outside wall to your current point?
GordonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 15:16   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop78 View Post
Hi, The box is mounted on the outside of the house, I need to go through the wall, then to the TV.
As Gordon says, we need more info about your current setup than you have given so far.

There should also be a box on the inside. Where is it? Where is your current TV/set top box in relation to the internal wall box?
Old 27-03-2011, 16:49   #6
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

He has already given enough information just by saying he requires a NEW cable from the omni box outside and requires a new isolator put on the wall inside his room, you need no more information than this.

For this, you have two options.

The first if you want the job done properly, you are gonna have to pay the £100.

The second and the only option if you want to do it yourself will be, run a longer cable from the existing isolator (white box on the wall inside your livingroom) to where you want the TV/Cable set top moved to. Virgin will not mess around with your carpets and will not put anything under any floors for you, it will all be surface mount only, but you seem to already understand this.

If as you say you don't want any wires showing, then these are your two choices. Pull your own flooring up and hide the wires that way would be the cheapest, but maybe not the best.

HTH
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:37   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
He has already given enough information just by saying he requires a NEW cable from the omni box outside and requires a new isolator put on the wall inside his room, you need no more information than this.
Err, no, he actually didn't say that at all - he has not said where his interior isolator is, how long his existing cable is or what it is mounted to. All he has actually said is that he wants his TV against the same part of the wall as where the exterior box is mounted, and that he doesn't want a load of cable all over the place. Everything else is speculation - hence the need for him to say in a little more detail where everything currently is, in order to offer the best DIY solution.