Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

Old 13-03-2012, 18:17   #16
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Why on earth is the government selling council homes a below-market place at times of cuts?

I give in ,why?

would it be because they are part of a social and economic system that has failed perchance ?
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 19:36   #17
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Oh Noes! Not the failed social and political system!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 21:01   #18
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Why on earth is the government selling council homes a below-market place at times of cuts?
Because these schemes, like part buy part rent, create inflation in the housing market so their hope is that they will make the money back through the house market.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:39   #19
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

If this goes through, I would save up and buy this dive and then let it out to people at sky high prices and then sell it off after a few years. Quick buck for me!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:45   #20
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

I am a bit confused, i'v lived in this council house since birth and i am currently paying rent (since 18), would the council know that i have lived here for so long?
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 02:00   #21
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFrankie View Post
I am a bit confused, i'v lived in this council house since birth and i am currently paying rent (since 18), would the council know that i have lived here for so long?
Yes they would however is your name on the tennancy?

Also, they are able to do security checks on you anyway just like a credit check, that is to stop fraud like to see if you own any property, as it is certainly against the terms of your tenancy to own a property whilst being in a council property.
Old 14-03-2012, 02:09   #22
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Yes they would however is your name on the tennancy?

Also, they are able to do security checks on you anyway just like a credit check, that is to stop fraud like to see if you own any property, as it is certainly against the terms of your tenancy to own a property whilst being in a council property.
See i get a bit confused, i pay rent because im a non dependent, when we get a letter from the council concerning rent payments and other things they are addressed in my step mums name and not mine, i would love love love to buy this house in the future.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:59   #23
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I tried to get our twins named on the rent agreement as they now pay part of the rent as non-dependants (but they shouldn't as they receive ESA "Income Related" but the council is adamant that they should whilst the DWP says they shouldn't).

If the tenancy was transferred to them, there would be no rent to pay as THEY are disabled and we would be non-dependants with nothing to pay as WE receive IS. A complicated rule that will no doubt be more complicated with UC.

By the way, the council told me that deductions for non-dependants are rising by around 50% from April 1st!!!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:33   #24
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

I think that the government needs to rethink this plan
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:47   #25
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Why so negative?

If a small amount of discount, and in most cases this is nothing like the £75K that posters are moaning about, can be used to leverage a large investment from private sources e.g. Mortgages and the money is then invested in building new homes then surely this is a good thing for job prospects?

Thatcher's mistake was to let the moneys raised from housing sales be subsumed into the black hole of the Treasury instead of letting local authorities re-invest it in new housing stock as is the current plan.
the problem is controls the finances if the council then they will filter X or all to ofset cuts . Lets not forget we only seeing round one of those cuts.

The other is value if you reduce the stock value so its nice number to entice a person who renting thus can afford to buy. How many homes can you build with labour/materials.

You realistically cant drop the value too low it destroys the income to rebuild enough houses not forgeting we already despare situation.

If we cant build 1 sold 5 new built ratio we in trouble. My fear though is the future creating market boom last thing we need right now. Also we pushing ourselves again fear people who clearly not in position to get mortage its boom or bust scenerio. Crazy have 95% mortage absolute nuts insane leaves no room for flexibilty in income/mortage rates.

They should make it law no more than 50% of income from starting a mortage. Might just smash the housing market back to reality.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:54   #26
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Why so negative?

If a small amount of discount, and in most cases this is nothing like the £75K that posters are moaning about, can be used to leverage a large investment from private sources e.g. Mortgages and the money is then invested in building new homes then surely this is a good thing for job prospects?

Thatcher's mistake was to let the moneys raised from housing sales be subsumed into the black hole of the Treasury instead of letting local authorities re-invest it in new housing stock as is the current plan.
On the face of it it's not a bad idea ,it's only when you start thinking about it that the holes in the plan start to appear .If the LA's will be relying on income raised to build new homes then we won't see any new investment for some years because they will want to be building small estates not the odd house here and there ,so to make that viable they would need to build 20-30 houses minimum which will mean that perhaps 30-40 houses must be sold to raise that money .Land may also be an issue in some LA's it all depends on how much of the land freed up from previous demolitions has been sold off or already re-developed
Old 14-03-2012, 14:58   #27
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
By the way, the council told me that deductions for non-dependants are rising by around 50% from April 1st!!!
It used to be £10.18 rising to £12.40 for council tenants.
£9.40 rising to £11.45 for private.

the average rise for a working non dependant is around £10 a week. which is quite a bit.

Aged 18 or over and in paid work:
Gross weekly income of £394 or more: £60.60 to £73.85
Gross weekly income of between £316 and £393.99: £55.20 to £67.25
Gross weekly income of between £238 and £315.99: £48.45 to £59.05
Gross weekly income of between £183 and £237.99: £29.60 to £36.10
Gross weekly income of between £124 and £182.99: £21.55 to £26.25
Gross weekly income of less than £122: £9.40 to £11.45
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:57   #28
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFrankie View Post
See i get a bit confused, i pay rent because im a non dependent, when we get a letter from the council concerning rent payments and other things they are addressed in my step mums name and not mine, i would love love love to buy this house in the future.
Make sure you do something, as if she passes away, they will claim that the property is under occupied and will try to get you out, the will of course look into moving you into a smaller property, most councils operate under a points bidding system, this is exactly what happened to me.
Old 14-03-2012, 16:15   #29
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Make sure you do something, as if she passes away, they will claim that the property is under occupied and will try to get you out, the will of course look into moving you into a smaller property, most councils operate under a points bidding system, this is exactly what happened to me.
Wouldn't they do that anyway. regardless of whether his name's on the tenancy?
I'd assume he's been living there long enough to count for something anyway.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:21   #30
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Wouldn't they do that anyway. regardless of whether his name's on the tenancy?
I'd assume he's been living there long enough to count for something anyway.
many councils have stopped the automatic right for children of deceased tenants to take over the tenancy .It happened quite a lot that 1 person would end up living in a big 3 bed house after his/her parents had died which goes against most councils housing policies