Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Eurozone will collapse...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Eurozone will collapse...

Old 24-03-2013, 20:08   #1216
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Eurozone will collapse...

The Graun is maintaining a live blog this evening as the EU and Cyprus continue negotiations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ogroup-meeting

And it seems that BoC and Laiki have now cut maximum cashpoint withdrawals to €100.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2013, 20:15   #1217
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And it seems that BoC and Laiki have now cut maximum cashpoint withdrawals to €100.
Are they preparing for no deal to be done?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:19   #1218
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well, latest reports are that Anastasiades has threatened the Troika with his resignation if the deal they push on him is too harsh - he seems to be objecting to Bank of Cyprus being on the hook for a €9bn loan to Laiki. Failure to reach a deal is a distinct possibility at the moment, though recent history tells us the Eurocrats are so desperate to hold the Euro together they are more likely to come up with a sticking plaster at the last moment rather than allow the whole lot to come crashing down.
Old 24-03-2013, 20:39   #1219
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I wonder who's got major deposits with the Bank of Cyprus.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:43   #1220
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Reading that live update shows how much Cyprus are being bullied if you ask me.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 21:09   #1221
Tuftus

So, let me get this right. If they impose a levy on savers with over 100K, surely since they have no choice in this they will simply withdraw the remaining 75% ASAFP and invest it in a more safe environment?

That's madness. By doing so they would be making the long term situation much much more volatile since the banks will suffer a run of epic proportions?
Old 24-03-2013, 21:15   #1222
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

There are bound to be capital controls to prevent all the money draining out of the Cypriot banking system. But capital controls cannot prevent people deciding not to pay money in to the Cypriot banking system. There are a lot of British pensioners and service families out there, I expect HM Govt to make altnative arrangements rather than have their money disappearing into a Cyprioot black hole. Cyprus' days as a banking centre are now well and truly over, which is a double calamity as this was a major source of national income. About all they have apart from that is tourism. And would you go there this summer after the pictures on the news these past few days?
Old 24-03-2013, 21:20   #1223
Tuftus

It could be interesting though Chris, I wonder if some wealthy people will choose to challenge any restrictions in the ECHR on the grounds of it's my money, I'll do as I please with it?

After all it is pretty much theft as I see it.
Old 24-03-2013, 21:28   #1224
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It certainly seems to run counter to the principle of the free movement of goods and services. Interesting times indeed.
Old 24-03-2013, 21:28   #1225
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post

Thats how i see it.

Old 24-03-2013, 22:36   #1226
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Doesn't seem like we will know if a deal has been done until the early hours of the morning but we could well wake to a the scenario of a complete collapse of the Cypriot banking system. It's a bank holiday in Cyprus tomorrow so maybe they'll use that an excuse to extend the deadline for another day.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 22:52   #1227
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The banks were not due to reopen until Tuesday but the ECB is threatening to cut off cash supplies tomorrow.
Old 24-03-2013, 23:02   #1228
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post
Hm, A 10Bn Euro bailout that would mean depositors lose 20% rather than 100% of their savings over 100,000 Euro. That's a definition of theft I'd not come across yet.
Old 24-03-2013, 23:06   #1229
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Hm, A 10Bn Euro bailout that would mean depositors lose 20% rather than 100% of their savings over 100,000 Euro. That's a definition of theft I'd not come across yet.
Ahh, sorry, I clearly do not understand it then. Crack on!
Old 24-03-2013, 23:09   #1230
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post

Then its theft of 20% of there savings, theft is theft no matter the amount