Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is the BBC website down?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Is the BBC website down?

Old 30-01-2011, 20:53   #61
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice
Re: Is the BBC website down?

OH had a problem this morning using Safari.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Down for me now - firefox
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2011, 20:55   #62
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

I just tried it in Firefox, IE8, Chrome. Opera, Safari, Slim Browser and K-Meleon the BBC website worked in all 7.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 23:40   #63
maynas
Inactive

maynas is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynas View Post
I could not access any BBC site last night and it was the same this morning and still is, cannot get iplayer, radio 4, news , anything! Why is this ?

Update: Had 2 hours on the phone with Virgin Bangalore call center , totally useless , their tick box list assumes problem my end when its thiers. It all came back on line later on this evening but has gone again, very weird. Can't face more confusing conversations today, hope its fixed tomorrow. Amazing thing is they said I was the first to complain when obviously others on here had similar problem.
maynas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 23:45   #64
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynas View Post
Update: Had 2 hours on the phone with Virgin Bangalore call center , totally useless , their tick box list assumes problem my end when its thiers. It all came back on line later on this evening but has gone again, very weird. Can't face more confusing conversations today, hope its fixed tomorrow. Amazing thing is they said I was the first to complain when obviously others on here had similar problem.
Try this site http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

If it comes back that it is up and you cannot see it then it will be a routing issue which could be anywhere on the network.

As I said above I have tried to access the BBC using 7 different browsers without any issue.

If it is a routing issue then setting a proxy may work as a temporary fix.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7

Step 1 ? On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
Step 2 ? Under Proxy server, click to select the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
Step 3 ? In the Address box, type the IP address of the proxy server. (e.g. proxy.abc.com or 202.188.17.24)
Step 4 ? In the Port box, type the port number that is used by the proxy server for client connections (by default, 8080).
Step 5 ? You can click to select the Bypass proxy server for local addresses check box if you do not want the proxy server computer to be used when you connect to a computer on the local network.
Step 6 ? Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
Step 7 ? Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Proxy for Firefox

Here is a proxy add on for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464

To enable proxy settings in Firefox 3.0

Select Tools -> Options. ( In some Firefox browser's you have to go to Edit>Preferences usually in LInux )
Select Advanced.
Open the Network tab.
In 'Connections' area click 'Settings' button.
Select Manual Proxy Configuration radio button.
In the necessary proxy field(s), put the same settings in the HTTP field then
Click 'OK'
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:43   #65
unknownsock
Inactive

unknownsock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Try this site http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

If it comes back that it is up and you cannot see it then it will be a routing issue which could be anywhere on the network.

As I said above I have tried to access the BBC using 7 different browsers without any issue.
I am getting the same problem, used your downforeveyone link and it said it was up and just me? Spoke to Virgin Bangalore, Useless, might as well be on mars for the use they are!

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Using Airport wireless router, put your proxy instructions in and seems to have worked, thanks for the info! I note moiraf100 is also a Mac user maybe same problem?
unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 13:08   #66
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

Yeah, both myself and OH are mac users.
It's been intermittant all morning.
I've downloaded the FF add on, but don't understand what I have to put here.....
"In the necessary proxy field(s), put the same settings in the HTTP field then
Click 'OK'" :/
Old 31-01-2011, 13:14   #67
unknownsock
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
Yeah, both myself and OH are mac users.
It's been intermittant all morning.
I've downloaded the FF add on, but don't understand what I have to put here.....
"In the necessary proxy field(s), put the same settings in the HTTP field then
Click 'OK'" :/
Are you using airport?
Old 31-01-2011, 13:29   #68
moiraf100
Inactive

Yes I am
Old 31-01-2011, 13:38   #69
unknownsock
Inactive

In safari click preferences bottom of list click Proxies change settings, will launch system prefs. click on proxies in top tabs, then click on web proxy server enter webcache.virginmedia.com :8080 then click web Proxy (HTTP) in left hand list and apply settings. should work but you may find some others may not but use firefox for them!
Old 31-01-2011, 13:43   #70
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

tracert www.bbc.co.uk
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:45   #71
hemelvirgin
Inactive

Services: tivo & V+HD stb's. BB XL 60 MB ,Tv M+ & VM phone unlimited & VM blackberry contract
hemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the rough
www.bbc.co.uk

hi,

it's happening again

cant open bbc.co.uk.

happened a few days ago.

ANY ONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS ?

all other url's are ok
hemelvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:46   #72
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart
Re: www.bbc.co.uk

No problem here!
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:46   #73
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

It's OK here
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:52   #74
hemelvirgin
Inactive

Services: tivo & V+HD stb's. BB XL 60 MB ,Tv M+ & VM phone unlimited & VM blackberry contract
hemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the rough

nope still cant get through.

what is the ping procedure test,forgot how to do it
hemelvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:56   #75
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelvirgin View Post
nope still cant get through.

what is the ping procedure test,forgot how to do it
look up google for god's sake
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote