Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Playstation / Sony Contact

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

advice on inet setup

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35   #1
Amarules
Inactive

Amarules is an unknown quantity at this point
advice on inet setup

ok so I got my ps3 a few weeks back and decided I want to try out some online fun now but Im not to sure how to go about the setup because of my net situation.

Currently I'm in some private halls at uni and connect to the network using a standard ethernet cable (network is not proxy btw so thats not the prob)
To actually login to use the net I have to goto this site:

http://www.digi-vill.co.uk/Generic/home.aspx

I tried the obvious thing and just connected the ps3 to my access point with the ethernet cable. It detectes the Ip successfuly but fails to conect (authentication prob im guessing).

So do I need a router or will I have to try set up internet connection sharing from my pc? Just want to know what will work given the way I have to logon to the net. Would rather know what the deal is before I spend cash on things.

ty for any help
Amarules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: advice on inet setup

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

From experience - I dont *think* they allow console gaming attached to the network. I friend tried to plug his 360 in and asked Internal IT there where it didnt work and they say, they dont allow it.

However, your Uni may be different. You could ask Internal IT to unlock your port (give them a port number) they may be able to give you "open" access to the tinternet

Just ask em!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37   #3
Amarules
Inactive

Amarules is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think thats the problem.

The halls are private as opposed to university owned so none of the ports are blocked. Everything like p2p, torrents, wow etc work fine here.

I think it is down to the fact I have to login through the website to surf the net. So will a router fix this or is there a way I can redirect my internet conenction through my pc to my ps3?
Amarules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 21:44   #4
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarules View Post

I think it is down to the fact I have to login through the website to surf the net. So will a router fix this or is there a way I can redirect my internet conenction through my pc to my ps3?
I think that is correct. Your PS3 cannot go to that site and 'log in'.
You may be able to install a second ethernet card in your PC and use internet sharing to get round it. A ethernet card costs about a tenner so it's worth a try.

I don't think a router will help at all.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 23:18   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try using the PC to connect to the address