Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | what does a DVD recorder need for connection to Virginmedia cable TV?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot Connect DVD Recorder

Old 23-12-2007, 16:55   #1
peter foster
Inactive

peter foster is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannot Connect DVD Recorder

My problem is that I need guidance, please, to connect a new DVD Recorder to my current set-up. Could some wise man help me at this time of goodwill to all men!

I've got Virgin Media Digital TV Service through a PACE Set Top Box and have currently got the following connected to it-

An analogue TV (TV has two Scart connections)
An analogue VCR (VCR has two Scart connections)
A DVD Player (Player has one Scart connection)

I bought the Wharfedale DVDR24HD160 Dvd Recorder from Argos last week and I'm trying to connect it using the "daisy chain" method.

Currently, the connection situation with my system before installing the new DVD Recorder is as follows-

Connections to: Virgin Media Pace Set-top box-

S1. Connection to the external cable source
S2. Coaxial connection to the external terrestial aerial
S3. Coaxial connection to VCR
S4. - Scart connection to VCR
S5. Scart connection to TV

Connections to VCR-

V1. Coaxial connection to STB
V3. Coaxial connection to TV
V3. Scart connection to STB

Connections to DVD Player

D1. Scart connection to TV

Connections to: TV

T1. Scart connection to DVD Player
T2. Scart connection to STB
T3. Coaxial connection to VCR

What I'd like to do is to replace the existing DVD Player above with the new DVD Recorder. Could you explain precisely, please, how I can achieve this both in terms of the Scart and the coaxial connections. The DVD recorder was supplied with a length of coaxial cable (There are lots of different connection options on the back of the new DVD Recorder.) Thanks.
peter foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2007, 19:18   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Cannot Connect DVD Recorder

Assuming the DVD Recorder has 2 scarts.

Pace STB scart TV out
TO
DVD Recorder Scart 1 (TV In or whatever it's called)

DVD Recorder Scart 2 (TV Out or whatever it's called)
TO
TV Scart 1

Ariel Coax to VCR
VCR Coax to TV
Personally I would take this opportunity to dump the VCR but of course YMMV.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 20:22   #3
peter foster
Inactive

Many thanks for you response, Mick.

Yes, the DVD Recorder does have 2 scarts.

Could I ask you, please, to clarify your instructions.

"Pace STB scart TV out
TO
DVD Recorder Scart 1 (TV In or whatever it's called)"

I have two scart connections currently to the STB. One connects to the TV and the other connects to the VCR. Which of these should I now connect to the DVD Recorder? I assume that the "STB end" of the connection stays in the STB!

"DVD Recorder Scart 2 (TV Out or whatever it's called)
TO
TV Scart 1"

I have two scart connections currently to the TV. On connects to the STB and the other connects to the DVD Player. So I assume that I unplug the one currently connected to the "old" DVD players and relocate it in the DVD Recorder!

"Ariel Coax to VCR"

I currently have two coaxial connections to the VCR. One connects to the STB and one to the TV. Which of these do I now need to reposition, please. Could you explain this please in terms of how "the two ends" of this cable are currently connected (see my description of all the scart and coaxial connections) and how "the two ends" need to be connected!

"VCR Coax to TV"

This is a bit confusing because my current set-up already includes a coaxial connection between the VCR and the TV. Could you explain this please in terms of how "the two ends" of this cable are currently connected (see my description of all the scart and coaxial connections) and how "the two ends" need to be connected!

Sorry to be a pain, Mick.
Old 24-12-2007, 00:25   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

As Mick says, now is the time to take the VCR out of the equation, if only for recording and playback by scart. The picture quality of video tape compared to your DVD recorder/playback means it's just not worth using scart when the DVD can make better use of it. If you still want your VCR for playback of old tapes and stuff, then have it connected using the coaxial leads only.

Scart lead connections:
Set Top Box out #1 > TV in #1
Set Top Box out #2 > DVD recorder input
DVD recorder output > TV in #2

coaxial aerial lead
terrestrial aerial > Set Top Box in
Set Top Box out > DVD recorder in
DVD recorder out > VCR in
VCR out > TV in

The above arrangement allows you the best of all worlds, i.e. you can record on your DVD from the cable TV, whilst watching BBC1 terrestrial using your old aerial connection. Alternatively you could record terrestrial TV on your VCR, whilst watching a cable programme, and so on.

If you wish you can avoid having the terrestrial aerial connection, leave out the DVD, or any other appliance in the middle of that chain of coaxial leads.

Best quality is clearly obtained using scart signals.
Your DVD needs to be tuned to AV#1 to get the STB scart signal
Your TV would tune to AV#1 to get the STB scart signal or AV#2 to get the DVD scart signal.

Lesser quality is available using the coaxial aerial. Here you may find there is a clash of the channel frequency being ouotput by the VCR, DVD and / or Set Top Box. You'll have to read the DVD manual to alter the frequency if you find there is interference (change the DVD given that your pre-existing setup didn't have a problem with the VCR and Set Top Box). However you have your TV channels currently arranged, say "0" is the VCR, "6" is the Set Top Box, don't change, assign a spare channel to your DVD, say "7" and tune that. Watching the coaxial signals on the TV is thus a matter of tuning to 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc. On the VCR again to record, hopefully you have already tuned "0" or similar to the STB output coaxial and can thus tune the programmer to that when needed.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 05:24   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Yup there are more ways than one to connect a DVD recorder.
The only thing to bear in mind with Rob's lay out is that scart2 on the Pace STB is maybe outputting composite video. This is fine for a VCR as it only works in this mode however modern DVD Recorders want RGB and a WS signal. I found this out after a load of faffing about with scart2 on a sky+ while trying to connect up a Phillips DVDR-3480. If however you can get RGB and WS signals from the STB scart2 then you will be fine with Rob's set-up.
To try to clarify my original scheme.
Using 2 scart leads, connect:
STB Scart1<---->DVDR Scart1<>DVDR Scart2<---->TV Scart 1
This will enable you to record from the Pace box (only what you are watching though). When the recorder is off the signal from the Pace will "pass through" to the TV. While the Recorder is active you will be able to watch the signal from the Pace or your Freeview.

Now for your Freeview:
Antenna<---->DVDR coax input1<>DVDR coax output<----->FreeviewSTB or Digi TV.
As you will have a Freeview tuner in the DVDR and the Freeview STB/Digi TV you can watch a freeview source while recording from another freeview channel OR the Pace STB.

You have the TV's scart2, The Pace's scart2 to play about with your VCR if you are set on connecting it. It's been years since I had a VCR so I won't be of much help there.

You really need to forget about VCR's and analogue signals nowadays

Have a look in the Articles section at http://www.homecinemachoice.com/
I went through exactly what you are faced with a month or so ago and found the solution there.
Old 24-12-2007, 08:41   #6
signori
Inactive

signori is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey i`m now thinking twice about buying a cheapie this xmas.
signori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 08:51   #7
peter foster
Inactive

Many thanks for taking the time to hold my hand on this one, Guys. I can't wait to get home from work this evening to put it all into practice!
Old 27-12-2007, 18:53   #8
peter foster
Inactive

Many thanks, Mick and Rob.

Have now managed to connect the DVDR to the STB, TV and VCR so as to allow me to continue to use the VCR and to convert VCR footage to DVD!

Here's the Coaxial connections-

1. Cable signal and terrestial signal cables both feed into the STB.

2. STB to VCR Line In

3. VCR Line Out to DVDR Input

4. DVDR to TV

And here are the Scart connections-

STB

TV SCART ==> VCR Aux In

VCR

TV SCART ==> DVDR In

DVDR

TV SCART ==> TV In
Old 28-12-2007, 20:21   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Good to Hear, well done Peter.
Old 29-12-2007, 10:43   #10
peter foster
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Good to Hear, well done Peter.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for me....