Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband,TV but out with the phone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Broadband,TV but out with the phone

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05   #1
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them
Broadband,TV but out with the phone

Hopefully this is the right place for this post as it is regarding the VM phone service.

I,like most people these days, need to save some cash so I was pleased to see that VM are offering a way to have TV and 10mb broadband without having to have a phone. Saving approx £13 a month.

If all goes well I hope to replace the phone with Skype. I know Skypes limitations but in theory it seems a cheaper alternative to VM phone.

Has anyone used this option yet,can anyone see pitfalls ?

thanks
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: Broadband,TV but out with the phone

http://shop.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:18   #3
Zing

This is what always makes me laugh with VM. Unfortunately you get royaly screwed if you do not have the phone

For example using Voids link

10 meg BB
M+ tv on its own total monthly cost 32.50 and if you are new you pay 40 quid install

Now add the M phone all of a sudden your TV and BB drop from 32.50 to 20 quid Phone is 12.99 and if your new you save the 40 quid install

So you could by dropping the phone save an amazing 49p per month

If you actually have 50 meg you end up paying more by not having the phone

The great cable broadband swindle ( who killed bambi)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:24   #4
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
This is what always makes me laugh with VM. Unfortunately you get royaly screwed if you do not have the phone

For example using Voids link

10 meg BB
M+ tv on its own total monthly cost 32.50 and if you are new you pay 40 quid install

Now add the M phone all of a sudden your TV and BB drop from 32.50 to 20 quid Phone is 12.99 and if your new you save the 40 quid install

So you could by dropping the phone save an amazing 49p per month

If you actually have 50 meg you end up paying more by not having the phone

The great cable broadband swindle ( who killed bambi)
I think that may be a problem with the website. Newspaper ads and leaflets show M+ as half price with BB or landline.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 19:36   #5
badhairday
Inactive

badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

Using the website I could change my subscription to L tv and get the no phone deal but I still had to phone them up.
So I did phone VM and their systems were down. I was told to phone back using the "Thinking of leaving us" option.
Which I am not btw, I have never had any serious problems with VM but it seems to get the no phone deal I'm going to have to haggle with that department. Alas though I'll have to wait until Monday to do that.
I'll post here what happened for any future users to learn from. I am sure over the coming months I will not be the only one wishing to save some cash this way.
Old 09-04-2011, 20:44   #6
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
I was told to phone back using the "Thinking of leaving us" option. Which I am not btw, I have never had any serious problems with VM ...
Yes. That department is not actually called "retentions" or "thinking of leaving" so they really should think up a better name
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 21:40   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yes. That department is not actually called "retentions" or "thinking of leaving" so they really should think up a better name
It is called Customer Relations and many people would not associate it with the job they do but what else can they do.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 23:03   #8
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It is called Customer Relations ...
Thanks. I thought it was but wasn't absolutely sure How about "The Loyalty Team"?
Old 09-04-2011, 23:45   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Thanks. I thought it was but wasn't absolutely sure How about "The Loyalty Team"?
They will be the same people.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:40   #10
badhairday
Inactive

I phoned VM asking to remove the phone section of my package but alas they cannot do it without upgrading my TV from M+ to Large but that incurs an extra monthly charge which by uncanny coinsidence just happens to be what I am paying now with the phone :P

Back to square one. Not being in contract helps if I did jump out and go the Freeview way.
Sky I would never go to or back to BT .
Anyhoo I am very grateful to you all for your help , Thank you
Old 12-04-2011, 18:47   #11
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
They will be the same people.
Sorry. I was suggesting that as an alternate name
Old 12-04-2011, 18:52   #12
badhairday
Inactive

BTW when I stepped through the various telephone options to get to "Thinking of leaving us" That option had changed to "So you want to remove part of your plan " Odd !