Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media considering launching budget brand

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media considering launching budget brand

Old 19-12-2016, 11:12   #16
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media considering launching budget brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Obviously these are just my opinions, but people would just leave VM for the new company, which could potentially cost more money as im assuming the secondary brand would use different equipment to differentiate the 2 companies, so said customer rather than just having a config file sent down will need account closed, new account created billing set up etc equipment swapped. There would be plenty of ways to prevent people just downgrading for the sake of it, e.g. They will lose they bundle discounts etc. That's just my 2 pence worth I'm sure if it is true the accountants have looked at their spreadsheets and decided it's viable
But don't you think if they're willing to switch to the cheaper VM brand that they would have just gone to another budget DSL based brand anyway?
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2016, 12:14   #17
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I can't see many customers downgrading to something really slow, not in this age of Netflix and online streaming. Not when a new customer can already get 50mb for only £18 a month and there are always offers on for the various FTTC providers, especially with cashback, that work out similar. There is no lack of cheap broadband options.

How many people are realistically going to want 10mb? I'd guess only a small percentage of people who live alone.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 12:44   #18
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It might backfire if a lot of VMs current customers downgrade to save some money. Doubtless it will only be available to 'new' customers. Once speeds went above 20MB it all became a bit of a silly numbers game.
I've never worked for VM, but from what I've been told, they actually take a loss on the higher tiers, subsidising them from the profits from the lower tiers, purely because more people buy the lower tiers.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:
I'm not sure why a new brand would be needed, surely just a new tier would do it? I presume it would need to be a standalone BB offering as the V6 requires 100mb I believe
Depends. If they are trying to position Virgin Media as a premium brand, having the bulk of their customers on a low tier will detract from that premium brand. This is why (for instance), Panasonic have two different brands. Panasonic for the low end and consumer stuff, Technics for the high end consumer and studio stuff (although, oddly, Panasonic do a well recieved range of professional video cameras under the Panasonic name). Similarly, TEAC have two brands, TEAC (for the low end and consumer stuff) an Tascam (for the high end consumer and studio stuff).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:23   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I can forsee many customers opting to downgrade as "austerity" bites even more. Increased Poll Tax and utility bills coming early next year, way over official inflation levels.

So having package available for them makes commercial sense.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:38   #20
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not sure why a new brand would be needed, surely just a new tier would do it? I presume it would need to be a standalone BB offering as the V6 requires 100mb I believe
If it's a separate brand they can offer different service levels eg the way that Sky's Now TV offering is entirely online. You don't get VW selling its Bentley cars in its Skoda garages! Yet it owns all three brands which appeal to different markets and it offers different levels of support.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:39   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
How many people are realistically going to want 10mb?
About half the country? Personally I'd be delighted to be able to get 10Mbps.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:36   #22
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

I'd have a third of 77Mb/s for a third of the price.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:03   #23
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps a budget brand would include the data usage caps that Virgin quietly introduced earlier this year, before dropping very soon afterwards. That might reduce the number of customers downgrading, but would put then at a disadvantage versus the other budget brands that offer unlimited usage.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:31   #24
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Perhaps a budget brand would include the data usage caps that Virgin quietly introduced earlier this year, before dropping very soon afterwards. That might reduce the number of customers downgrading, but would put then at a disadvantage versus the other budget brands that offer unlimited usage.
I expect a budget brand would be differentiated by service and speed but not usage caps.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:23   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It's called 'Project Prosecco'!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:14   #26
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Virgin has always touted itself as a premium product with "no limits" (Even when there were limits). They've started doing packages with download caps, but they're not very heavily advertised or marketed - I wouldn't be surprised if those are the precursor to the budget brand.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:13   #27
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

ISPreview are reporting Virgin are going to pilot re-introducing 50mb broadband as a budget broadband service next week:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...et-option.html
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 15:01   #28
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I think it's a good move, what they might lose on more expensive packages they'll gain back from new customers coming onto the smaller ones.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 15:02   #29
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I think it's a good move, what they might lose on more expensive packages they'll gain back from new customers coming onto the smaller ones.
What hub will they use? Wonder if they will use the crappy sh1
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 15:06   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
ISPreview are reporting Virgin are going to pilot re-introducing 50mb broadband as a budget broadband service next week:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...et-option.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What hub will they use? Wonder if they will use the crappy sh1
From the site:
Quote:
Interestingly we also understand that the new budget package is not related to last year’s so-called “Project Prosecco,” which suggests that Virgin Media may also have something else planned for the budget market