Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Application Throttling/Management

Old 21-06-2008, 00:13   #1
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.
Application Throttling/Management

Ok,

As a certain someone has nagged me about this...and others wanting to know where the future holds for VM as far as this goes.

As i have mentioned a few weeks or so back VM have been trialling application throttling/management in lab 3 (for those interested, this is just a name to represent the area where the trial is going on, not an actual lab)

Currently through the trial Usenet ports (including SSL) are throttled (reducing speeds down to 512k)

This, is, as far as one is aware going to be used for both in and out of peak hours for whoever they see "fit" as a heavy user.

I'm sure some of you noticed "Allot" was mentioned in another thread on here and i've had a few people asking me what this is.

It's currently what VM are using to trial application/throttling/management and is to be deployed across the VM network fully sometime either third quarter 2008 or first quarter 2009, the dates are unknown/rough ideas right now as things are being kept quiet over @ VM headquarters.

Now before any of you shout at me or anything i wasnt going to release this information until *certain people within VM* thought it would be amusing to try and release information about me on certain sites, and no this is not revenge on them, but i have had a few people asking me to release this information.

Anyway...you can view more about Allot over at http://www.allot.com/index.php?optio...&id=2&Itemid=4

I would note there is ALSO a seperate trial going on while controls ports speciifcally for games (Wow etc) which affect the pings for said games.

I will add more information to this thread over the coming weeks (i have ALOT going on right now, so dont moan about lack of info just yet)

Just to add, this will be a part of their FUP and completely seperate to STM.
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2008, 00:22   #2
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve
Re: Application Throttling/Management

God with all this crap that VM & alex BROWN are doing, will they have ANY customers at all by the end of this year / begining of next??

If I find out they are throttling ANY port or application on my "unlimited" broadband, I will tell them exactly WHAT i think of them and the way they are screwing customers, and tell them quite plainly and clearly to stick their rubbish (I'm sure everyone knows the word that would come next) and cancel straight away, and if they dare to chagre, i'll take them to the small claims court!

THEY(vm) are in my eyes the criminals here, ripping people off, stealing back most of what is been sold, then there is the blatant lies, treating its customers like dog chod etc...

Looks like I just like many here will soon be an ex-virgin media customer!!!
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:26   #3
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

When this does happen then it'll be the end of VM broadband as a whole. There's not a lot else you can say really.
Old 21-06-2008, 00:31   #4
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

The main problem is that Virgin are the only player in the cable market as everything else is via the BT phonelines, and it is only a relative few people who come on these forums out of over 3.5 million Virgin customers, so the answer is that regardless how much you personally will Virgin to fail, I cannot see that many people going elsewhere for their services as the vast majority are satisfied with their services.
Old 21-06-2008, 00:31   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

This thread has the potential to be quite impressively large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
The main problem is that Virgin are the only player in the cable market as everything else is via the BT phonelines, and it is only a relative few people who come on these forums out of over 3.5 million Virgin customers, so the answer is that regardless how much you personally will Virgin to fail, I cannot see that many people going elsewhere for their services as the vast majority are satisfied with their services.
Have you been taking PR lessons from the news groups? This is being tested, and no they wouldn't tell tech support about it.

Not about wishing Virgin or anyone else to fail the man is simply stating the facts as they stand right now. If you object to your customers being told what's presently on the drawing board for their services that's your prerogative.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:31   #6
zing_deleted

Yeah I will be off to the land of crappy adsl as even the 4/5 meg I can get off them is better than 512
Old 21-06-2008, 00:36   #7
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm happy with my phone and TV service from VM, but if I can't use the main service I pay top whack for then I'll gladly cancel the lot and go back to BT or whoever. Do you think people will still pay £37 a month for something they can't use?

Still, there'll always mugs who'll say "well done virgin, my emails come through so much quicker now, that's well worth £37".
Old 21-06-2008, 00:41   #8
zing_deleted

The BT Total or whatever looks quite tempting at the moment will even take my mobile from o2 as they supply a HTC pocket pc phone for £30 quid a month inclusive of voip package internet and home hub add the 30 quid a month call package in dump vm phone and tv and ill have slower net but actually save a few quid
Old 21-06-2008, 00:42   #9
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
This thread has the potential to be quite impressively large...

Have you been taking PR lessons from the news groups? This is being tested, and no they wouldn't tell tech support about it.

Not about wishing Virgin or anyone else to fail the man is simply stating the facts as they stand right now. If you object to your customers being told what's presently on the drawing board for their services that's your prerogative.
No just stating the facts that we the people who post on here are in the minority and the average person who has services from Virgin are unaware that these forums even exist, if its not MSN or Facebook they do not care but we do in different ways thats why we are here, I expect you will agree on that point.
Old 21-06-2008, 00:44   #10
zing_deleted

But this information will goto press.

There is no defending VM anymore they are screwing their customers over. Ok you can argue Usenet is piracy but even considering throttling gaming ports is just wrong wrong wrong. VM are standing toe to toe to us customers smacking us in the mouth over and over trying to push us as far as they can and so far we are not hitting back
Old 21-06-2008, 00:45   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No just stating the facts that we the people who post on here are in the minority and the average person who has services from Virgin are unaware that these forums even exist, if its not MSN or Facebook they do not care but we do in different ways thats why we are here, I expect you will agree on that point.
Sure, but I've no idea what the relevance is to testing / planned rollout of application throttling / management so let's discuss that
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 00:48   #12
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Sure, but I've no idea what the relevance is to testing / planned rollout of application throttling / management so let's discuss that
I cannot wait to see this thread grow as it should, because what you mention above is going to get worse as the rollout of 50Mb gets closer and we once again get stitched up even further.
Old 21-06-2008, 00:57   #13
xspeedyx

OMFG i have had it with VM do they wanna exsit as a company if they do STOP THE STUPID IDEAS to screw customers over
Old 21-06-2008, 02:35   #14
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

If there are concrete plans to introduce this then I would hope that VM are seriously considering updating their pricing. £38 to be dicated to as to what type of traffic you are allowed to download at 20Mbit/sec is wholly unacceptable. We shall see.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 02:38   #15
Nemeth
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60mb
Nemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
Ok you can argue Usenet is piracy but even considering throttling gaming ports is just wrong wrong wrong.
He didn't say throttling. Sounds more like QoS type rules to prioritise certain gaming traffic and improve pings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
If there are concrete plans to introduce this then I would hope that VM are seriously considering updating their pricing. £38 to be dicated to as to what type of traffic you are allowed to download at 20Mbit/sec is wholly unacceptable. We shall see.
Agree. As part of a Sky type package, £10pm or even free I can understand draconian measures like this. But to charge broadband-only customers £38pm for this is disgusting.
Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote