Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

Old 11-04-2017, 08:54   #31
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era
Re: United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to over booking

Simon Calder the travel guy has been on the radio this morning and he says, although United have mismanaged the whole thing, the one who is totally at fault is the passenger himself. He went on to say that under aviation law, when the captain says to any passenger for any reason, that they have to get off the plane, then they have to get off.
Blimey, I`m off to Egypt soon and I hope Thomas Cook dont use this policy.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2017, 09:50   #32
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
Simon Calder the travel guy has been on the radio this morning and he says, although United have mismanaged the whole thing, the one who is totally at fault is the passenger himself. He went on to say that under aviation law, when the captain says to any passenger for any reason, that they have to get off the plane, then they have to get off.
Blimey, I`m off to Egypt soon and I hope Thomas Cook dont use this policy.
How can he be totally at fault when in the same sentence, Simon said UA have mismanaged the situation?

I'm siding with passenger here. It's not okay to mishandle a situation like this. This doctor is 69 years of age, therefore a pensioner.

Earlier I said the company is now in company damage limitation mode, but after reassessing their PR skills, I'm replacing limitation to overdrive.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:54   #33
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah he probably should have left when asked, however outrageous that demand was, but United are at fault for allowing the situation to develop where a passenger who had already boarded was being asked to leave to make way for United staff. United deserve to be boycotted over this, especially for the way they've handled it subsequently.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:03   #34
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

US Department of Transport have said following:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (113.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:35   #35
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

So that statement from the DOT is just confirming that a flight ticket does not guarantee a flight and that passengers' rights are minimal.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:29   #36
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
So that statement from the DOT is just confirming that a flight ticket does not guarantee a flight and that passengers' rights are minimal.
Something like that but I don't think it says, you are allowed to assault a passenger, drag them by the arms etc. It's outrageous to do this any person but the fact they did this to a 69 year old man is totally out of order and for the CEO to publicly apologise, in a pathetic manner by saying sorry that they had to re-accommodate these passengers and that they want to reach out to the passenger but then he sends an internal memo saying he is behind his staff.

Totally ridiculous. Only thing I can say is, I don't think I could have sat there and done nothing, I know there was passengers being vocal and outraged while it happened but I just don't think I could have sat there and allowed that abuse to happen.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

United Airlines is getting an absolute roasting online and are being absolutely trolled to death at the moment and I have absolutely no sympathy for them, here are a couple of newly invented company mottos that people are making up for them:

Quote:
You carry on, we carry off #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
Normal flights have cabin crews, here at United Airlines, we have bouncers! #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
Board as a doctor,
Leave as a patient. #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
#NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Would you like a neck pillow?

Or a neck brace?
Quote:
If we overbook, you'll catch a right hook. #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
We have First Class, Business Class, and No Class #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
"We have Red Eye and Black Eye flights available!" #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
Flight: $400, checking a bag: $25, getting dragged down the aisle: priceless #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Quote:
You Are Now Free To Get Dragged Around The Cabin #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos
Old 11-04-2017, 13:32   #37
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: United Airlines: Passenger violently removed due to overbooking

That third tweet, "Board as a doctor, leave as a patient" is priceless.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:52   #38
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

if i was a share holder in this company i would demand heads role over this
Old 11-04-2017, 14:01   #39
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

The security police were heavy-handed but:

1. Why didn't the bloke leave the plane when he was asked to?
2. Why was he screaming like a demented polecat?
3. Why did he run up the aisle mumbling "I have to get home, I have to get home"?
4. Who did he suppose was going to disembark because he wouldn't?

Just asking. Don't bite my head off!
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 14:02   #40
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
The security police were heavy-handed but:

1. Why didn't the bloke leave the plane when he was asked to?
2. Why was he screaming like a demented polecat?
3. Why did he run up the aisle mumbling "I have to get home, I have to get home"?
4. Who did he suppose was going to disembark because he wouldn't?

Just asking. Don't bite my head off!
fear- which was justified he got a good hiding
Old 11-04-2017, 14:03   #41
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

When he said he had to go home he appears to be traumatised. He should have gotten off when asked but the rest of it is the fault of the police and United.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 14:05   #42
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
fear- which was justified he got a good hiding
But didn't he bring it upon himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
When he said he had to go home he appears to be traumatised. He should have gotten off when asked but the rest of it is the fault of the police and United.
Traumatised at not being able to get his own way?
Old 11-04-2017, 14:13   #43
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

I think that is far fetched Kursk.

I think you're forgetting he did have his head rammed in to the arm rest in a seat next to him and he was manhandled out of the seat, so much so that he caused his head to bleed, another witness says he could possibly have been knocked out as he went limp.

Stressful incident.. can take it's toll on any body and they can react in any way.

I really do not think this is about getting his own way, he broke no laws, he paid for a ticket, got on a plane and the rest is incompetence by United Airlines.
Old 11-04-2017, 14:13   #44
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:

i don't think there is any justifying this ,you can't treat people this way ,this will damage the airline if they try to justify this act .
Old 11-04-2017, 14:17   #45
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I think that is far fetched Kursk.

I think you're forgetting he did have his head rammed in to the arm rest in a seat next to him and he was manhandled out of the seat, so much so that he caused his head to bleed, another witness says he could possibly have been knocked out as he went limp.

Stressful incident.. can take it's toll on any body and they can react in any way.

I really do not think this is about getting his own way, he broke no laws, he paid for a ticket, got on a plane and the rest is incompetence by United Airlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i don't think there is any justifying this ,you can't treat people this way ,this will damage the airline if they try to justify this act .
Valid points. But he should have just left the plane like an adult (I think his wife already had) and there wouldn't have been the unfortunate escalation.

Given that someone had to get off, would you have given him your seat?