Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Roll Out plans for 300MB?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Roll Out plans for 300MB?

Old 10-04-2017, 15:16   #16
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Roll Out plans for 300MB?

If people are getting 10+% more than the stated download speed (345Mb instead of 300Mb), is the same true for upload? I feel that the upload is really the limiting factor now, especially with the plethora of off-site backup solutions which are becoming more popular, and even everyday things like iCloud Photo Library on iOS or Google Photos on Android - everything is getting uploaded these days!
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2017, 15:44   #17
2pence
cf.member

Services: Gig1 Fibre Broadband
2pence is an unknown quantity at this point

I went ahead and phoned them today, asked them to upgrade me and they immediately upgraded my connection to VIVID 300.

The SH3 now shows...
Primary Downstream Service Flow as "Max Traffic Rate: 345000000"
Primary Upstream Service Flow as "Max Traffic Rate: 22010000"

Speedtest results:

Ping has improved too.

All in all, it's running super.
Old 10-04-2017, 15:59   #18
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pence View Post
I went ahead and phoned them today, asked them to upgrade me and they immediately upgraded my connection to VIVID 300.

The SH3 now shows...
Primary Downstream Service Flow as "Max Traffic Rate: 345000000"
Primary Upstream Service Flow as "Max Traffic Rate: 22010000"

Speedtest results:

Ping has improved too.

All in all, it's running super.
That looks great. I cannot wait for Virgin to go live in my new build. Hopefully not too long to wait, as at the moment my connection is almost unusable!

Old 10-04-2017, 16:08   #19
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson View Post
If people are getting 10+% more than the stated download speed (345Mb instead of 300Mb), is the same true for upload?
Nope, the reason Virgin gives you a good amount of overhead on download speeds is due to ASA restrictions on what you can advertise. Essentially, for Virgin to advertise 300Mbit, they have to ensure that 10% of people can actually get that - so they give everyone a 10% overhead so even during minor congestion/evenings/etc., at least 10% of people still get that headline speed.

Upload speeds aren't advertised as a headline speed, so the overhead isn't added. You get a little bit more but not much.

Coincidentally, upload speeds are the hardest (read: Most expensive) part of the network for Virgin to upgrade, due to the nature of DOCSIS.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:15   #20
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Nope, the reason Virgin gives you a good amount of overhead on download speeds is due to ASA restrictions on what you can advertise. Essentially, for Virgin to advertise 300Mbit, they have to ensure that 10% of people can actually get that - so they give everyone a 10% overhead so even during minor congestion/evenings/etc., at least 10% of people still get that headline speed.

Upload speeds aren't advertised as a headline speed, so the overhead isn't added. You get a little bit more but not much.

Coincidentally, upload speeds are the hardest (read: Most expensive) part of the network for Virgin to upgrade, due to the nature of DOCSIS.
That's interesting to know. I'd love to know if they've got plans to upgrade the upload. It does seem to be the bit that is lacking all over the place really.

I used Google Fibre earlier in the year while we were on holiday at an AirBnB in Austin, TX. Absolutely epic, including the upload! SpeedTest got 414Mb down and 122Mb up!
Old 13-04-2017, 03:49   #21
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

so no "free" up grade ??

72 to 100
150 to 200
200 to 300
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 04:17   #22
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

It is technically free you just have to call up and sign a new contract ending up with you paying the same just with the next tier up.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:55   #23
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidder23 View Post
so no "free" up grade ??

72 to 100
150 to 200
200 to 300
What are these numbers? Isn't it just the 300Mb getting an upgrade?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 11:15   #24
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, seems like the 300MB isn't available in my area yet. It's a bit confusing on the website, though... as if I search for broadband only deals and put in my post code... it's says "Up to 200 MB" available in my postcode but the 300MB shows up in the options list. But when I click on that option, it greys out...

However, it's no biggie... I'm not in desperate need to go from 200 to 300 and can wait until it's available... I remember when the dial up standard jumped form 28KPBS to 56KBPS...
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 11:55   #25
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
What are these numbers? Isn't it just the 300Mb getting an upgrade?
that what I was asking
I get 150 but a new customer get 200 for round about the same price

(update)
a nice man at virgin media has just told me
that they are planning on upgrading my 150 to 200
but it's when they can get around to doing it which is fair enough

Last edited by tidder23; 13-04-2017 at 12:44.
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote