Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 23-04-2017, 22:07   #106
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

It may be listed as a certificate, rather than a profile, though I'm not familiar with Android.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2017, 09:51   #107
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
My initial thought is to ask whether VM WiFi is worth the hassle.
It's probably not worth it today due to the limited rollout, but depends entirely on if there are wifi networks near you and whether you'll use them. I spend most of my time at work or at home, where there's plenty of wifi to be had - the rest is spent on a train, where there's none.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 13:55   #108
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
It may be listed as a certificate, rather than a profile, though I'm not familiar with Android.
Found them listed as connection profiles (Saved Networks) for public and private WiFi, i.e. when you use a friend's WiFi or you connect to O2 via a cafe WiFi, or similar.

I deleted all the profiles cited by the Virgin WiFi app. Still it refuses to configure properly - with the same message.

EDIT.............................................. .................................................. ..............

I also deleted save Virgin Media saved networks profiles then reinstalled the app. The saved network profile for VM returned even though the app said that automatic connecting had not been configured. I guess I need to go find a HUB 3 Hotspot somewhere to see if it works.

Last edited by roughbeast; 24-04-2017 at 14:23.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:13   #109
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I'm using this (more to test than anything) the network connects at high speeds, downloads at 20meg, no issues there.

However when browsing it frequently states the page cannot be displayed. Five of six refreshes later the page appears. This is even with a download running and testing the connection by 'ping'. Strange.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 17:34   #110
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

So it's almost 2 weeks since I got the email saying this was happening, yet there's no hotspots around my area.

Ben mentioned they were looking to have this fully rolled out by the end of the month, cutting it a bit fine now unless they're going to do them all in one go, which surely isn't a good idea...
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 17:39   #111
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Perhaps everyone in your area has opted out?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 18:51   #112
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Perhaps everyone in your area has opted out?
Bit of a coincidence haha
Old 25-04-2017, 19:15   #113
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Despite not showing on the map or area listed on web , the neighbours shub3 has been activated and connects ok
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:08   #114
2pence
cf.member

Services: Gig1 Fibre Broadband
2pence is an unknown quantity at this point

I opted out.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:10   #115
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Looks like they might have extended the areas although I've not had an email but my router has sprouted another network!
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:15   #116
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Came back last night and thought my router had gone to pot with the signal. Turns out I was on next doors guest wifi!
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:39   #117
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
Came back last night and thought my router had gone to pot with the signal. Turns out I was on next doors guest wifi!
How do i tell from my Hub3 settings whether it is setup for hotspots?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:50   #118
Synthetic
cf.geek

Interesting, still not live here yet.
Old 01-05-2017, 14:23   #119
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

A new one popped up here yesterday on my laptop though the signal is weak.
Old 01-05-2017, 17:25   #120
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
How do i tell from my Hub3 settings whether it is setup for hotspots?
I have mine in modem mode, so not sure. I went to my brothers though who's only a mile down the road and his wanted activated, so random next doors is.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote