Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New feature arising from a V6 update.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New feature arising from a V6 update.

Old 16-03-2017, 03:24   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
New feature arising from a V6 update.

Apparently, a new feature has been added to the V6.

If you press play while watching a recording you get the option to select Quick View, where playback is slightly faster than normal, enabling you to watch programmes​ in less time.

I've been told that this was mentioned on the VM forums and that it's a new feature that's being rolled out in updates.

Pressing play on my V6 (whilst a recording is playing) just brings up the red bar at the bottom that tells you how long the programme is & how far it's played up to.

- Has anyone here received this update?

- Is this just for the V6 or is it the TiVo as well?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2017, 05:28   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: New feature arising from a V6 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, a new feature has been added to the V6.

If you press play while watching a recording you get the option to select Quick View, where playback is slightly faster than normal, enabling you to watch programmes​ in less time.
.. and everyone has high pitch voices

Seems a bit of a strange option.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:47   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

My DVD player does that if if you do a fast forward. Eventually it gets to be too fast and the sound stops. Dont really see the point.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:57   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
- Is this just for the V6 or is it the TiVo as well?
Just V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
.. and everyone has high pitch voices
No, it adjusts the pitch to compensate.

Here's a demo from a US TiVo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5BAfLXNp0
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 10:11   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I believe the firmware update (RC4) is only in pilot areas at the moment.
A fix for the re-booting during Elementary and Modern Family is also being tested.
I would think that RC4 won't be pushed to the whole network until this fix is incorporated - RC5??
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:31   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Just V6

No, it adjusts the pitch to compensate.

Here's a demo from a US TiVo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5BAfLXNp0
Thanks for the info. SP.

Do you know if subtitles will still work when in Quick View mode?

They can normally be used when FFing at the lowest speed, but there currently appears to be problems in general with regards to the subtitling service:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33704558
Old 16-03-2017, 22:43   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Yes, subtitles work well in Quick View mode.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:54   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Yes, subtitles work well in Quick View mode.
Cheers Robbo, that's good to know

It remains to be seen if the general subtitle problem that's affecting some customers will affect this new feature too...
Old 21-03-2017, 14:20   #9
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I started the initial thread on the official forums as I was asking the question if I had missed it from the start as I just noticed it.

I have used it a few times as it's not like it makes everyone speak like Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
I have not used it on a drama or a film but I record Steve Austins Broken Skull Ranch and The American Apprentice.
These type of programmes don't exactly need your fullest attention and you can hear everything that is said so they just run a bit quicker.

It's a feature I have used more than I thought I would have.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:50   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I've only recently received this option and I too find that I'm using it more than what I thought I would, in much the same way as trickytree.

Apparently, viewing in this mode speeds up the recording by 30%, meaning that a programme can be viewed about 1/3 faster.

Does anyone know how the V6 Fast Forward options work? Does number selecting one red triangle double the normal speed?
Old 15-04-2017, 22:58   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

According to a Google search ff and rwd appear to be x3, x20, x60
Old 16-04-2017, 18:35   #12
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Nice feature to get through the boring bits of something you are watching if you don't have the time to watch the whole of a programme at normal speed!
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 20:41   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
According to a Google search ff and rwd appear to be x3, x20, x60
If Quick View is 30% faster and the first FF mode is 300% faster, I think I'll use both as appropriate. FF x3 and reading the subtitles V Quick View.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Nice feature to get through the boring bits of something you are watching if you don't have the time to watch the whole of a programme at normal speed!
Exactly, particularly the parts in a drama where they use wistful drawn out moments as filler eg looking out over the ocean for ages
Old 18-04-2017, 20:48   #14
DreamRJ
cf.member

DreamRJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting Feature, I just checked on my new V6 box, I do not have this feature yet.
DreamRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 22:37   #15
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

I find it useful when quiz shows prattle on about a contestant's cat and not actually asking any questions.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote