Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 06-10-2012, 16:16   #751
Jameseh

Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

I imagine the Android version will have the same requirements as Sky Go, certified devices, no rooted phones, disabled HDMI out, etc.
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2012, 16:34   #752
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I imagine the Android version will have the same requirements as Sky Go, certified devices, no rooted phones, disabled HDMI out, etc.
The bolded part worries me.

The existing TV Catchup app can stream 30 live channels to loads of devices, including my phone and tablet. So I'll be disappointed with both devices aren't 'certified' to use the VM TV Anywhere app.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:54   #753
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I'll be able to give some insights into the apps on the 9th of October.

regards

John
Don't you mean the 15th?

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Main addition is the streaming content - which the US app doesn't do
Away access and On-Demand too.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:32   #754
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Don't you mean the 15th?

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Away access and On-Demand too.
You are correct, had to reread my agreement

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 20:08   #755
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I am getting ready to get out of the iOS world and jump feet first into Windows 8 Phoe and tablet. What are the chances of this coming to Win 8?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 20:30   #756
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I am getting ready to get out of the iOS world and jump feet first into Windows 8 Phoe and tablet. What are the chances of this coming to Win 8?
Not a chance in hell. Hopefully they use Flash on the website though (vs. Silverlight) so you could just use that on the tablet. Few companies give a hoot about Windows Phone so that'll be a total no-go.
Old 06-10-2012, 20:49   #757
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not a chance in hell. Hopefully they use Flash on the website though (vs. Silverlight) so you could just use that on the tablet. Few companies give a hoot about Windows Phone so that'll be a total no-go.
I agree, I have to admit Windows phone's have been around for a while and struggled to gain any reasonable market share.
Eventually Windows phones may gain share, but it could be a while for the apps to be available.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:09   #758
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Am sure I read somewhere recently that Windows 8 will be able to run Android apps on it

Here found it -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19756734
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:24   #759
Jameseh

The BlueStacks/AMD virtualization wouldn't show as a certified device though, so the app wouldn't run anyway.

Regardless;

iOS - Q4 2012
Android - Q1 2013
Windows - Use the website
Windows Phone - When pigs fly
Old 07-10-2012, 01:08   #760
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Don't you mean the 15th?
I was told Wednesday just gone, but decided to wait until someone else went first.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was 06-10-2012 at 23:47 ----------

It's been quite a while since I started this thread, so thought I'd take the opportunity to update it.

For a while now, I've been among a number of TiVo users who have played with the Virgin Media TV Anywhere iPad app. I've found that it has become the default interface to our household TiVo and I use it mainly for managing my shows, series links, planned recordings and setting up new recordings, because the interface is so snappy and simple (even on my otherwise sluggish iPad 1!)

It has all series link features, including the extra padding options (which weren't in the US version I believe, due to US sticking to schedules?)

Another thing I use it for is browsing the Virgin "catalogues" which you see on TiVo. Stuff like the pick of series starting this month, or horror films in October etc. Much quicker to scroll through the covers of films and shows, and then tap to explore and record or watch on demand.

The streaming works well, pretty much the same experience as the VM web offering, a bit like TVCatchup.com, but has some non-freeview channels.

I'm not a Virgin Media employee, so I can't personally say dates, but it really is coming soon now, like next few weeks.

I can't do without it now, and look forward to the launch when I can get it on my IPhone again too!

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
The bolded part worries me.

The existing TV Catchup app can stream 30 live channels to loads of devices, including my phone and tablet. So I'll be disappointed with both devices aren't 'certified' to use the VM TV Anywhere app.
Not sure what they mean about certified devices. As far as I know, any iPad, iPhone and touch. My iPhone 3Gs also supported it fine.

Perhaps they mean registering, where you can register a maximum number of devices to access the TV Anywhere service.
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07   #761
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Not sure what they mean about certified devices. As far as I know, any iPad, iPhone and touch. My iPhone 3Gs also supported it fine.

Perhaps they mean registering, where you can register a maximum number of devices to access the TV Anywhere service.
I know that on Sky Go, only the following Android devices are supported:

HTC Desire, HTC Desire S, HTC Desire HD, HTC Incredible, HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XE, Google Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note

There's also no current support for Android 4.1 'Jelly Bean' devices like the Nexus 7.

I'm hoping Virgin TV Anywhere will do a lot better in supporting Android, especially since its market share is above Apple as far as mobile operating systems are concerned:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/18...g-with-google/
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10   #762
Jameseh

You would hope they support every mobile they sell but then the only OS they don't sell is the only one they are launching with.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08   #763
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
You would hope they support every mobile they sell but then the only OS they don't sell is the only one they are launching with.
Indeed.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28   #764
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
I'm hoping Virgin TV Anywhere will do a lot better in supporting Android, especially since its market share is above Apple as far as mobile operating systems are concerned:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/18...g-with-google/
Well by the looks of it the core TiVo app that the VM TV Anywhere app will be based off supports most phones and tablets (including the Kindle Fire) - although TiVo themselves don't yet seem to have updated it for Jelly Bean

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Quote:
And the reasons why that is has been discussed many times over.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54   #765
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I can't believe that this app is almost ready to launch after all this time! Do we have any picture or videos of it in action?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote