Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why does my computer beep all the time?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Laptop hard drive causes Infra Red to stop working

Old 21-12-2004, 23:21   #1
M35A2C
Inactive

M35A2C is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to M35A2C
Question Laptop hard drive causes Infra Red to stop working

Here's a weird one for all you tech-heads out there.

I have two identical laptops here in front of me, both PII 333Mhz running XP pro with service pack 2 but one has a 6Gb Fujitsu MHE2064AT and the other has a 10Gb IBM-DJSA-210 drive in it. Both BIOSes are set identically & HD detection is set to automatic.

The one with the IBM drive won't let the Infrared port start, it shows up with a yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager and the properties brings up a dialogue saying "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Now if I swop the hard drives over between the machines the problem goes away in the computer but occurs in the other computer which means to me that it's the hard drive which is giving me grief.
The odd thing is that the computer which has the 6Gb drive in it (& a working IR port) shows up the infrared as "Built-in Infrared Device #2".

Why is it "#2" ?? I'm not that bothered that it is #2 but what the heck is happening here ???

As I said, the problem most definitely swops machines with the hard drive swap so it is in no way a fault in the hardware on the motherboard. The working machine talks to my phone quite happily.

There are no conflicts and both resource settings are the same;
I/O Range 02F8 - 02FF
IRQ 03
DMA 03

Oh yes, I also have a 4Gb drive which I've formatted & installed XP afresh & tried that too & it works fine.

What is it with this IBM drive that it can stop the infrared port ?

Help....
M35A2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2004, 23:35   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Laptop hard drive causes Infra Red to stop working

Maybe its a configuration error on the installation installed on 10gb also why would you want XP on a 333MHz machine *shudders*
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 23:35   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

It's the XP install on the HDD, not the HDD (probably) that is stopping the IR device.

What happens if you remove the device restart the machine and ask for it to look for new harware?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 23:46   #4
M35A2C
Inactive

M35A2C is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to M35A2C

Both drives were installed fron the same XP disc so I don't understand that there should be any differences at all.
I can't actually remove the IR device as it's a part of the laptop. Ive uninstalled the device then scanned for changes & it redetects it but comes straight back up with me yellow dot again !

Re; the XP on 333 machine, it takes a while to get up & running but once it's going it's reasonably quick. It's only used for email & web browsing so it's perfectly adequate for what its used for.

Which reminds me....
both laptops are 256Meg Ram too (which has also been swapped around to try to eliminate problems.
M35A2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 00:24   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Configuration glitches occur always when configuring hardware and software, i recommend reinstalling Windows on the ailing install drive and I'd wager your problems would go away and im pretty sure that SMHarman meant for you to uninstall your IRDA controller in Device manager and not physically
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote