Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is difference between RG 6 Cable And RG 11

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What is difference between RG 6 Cable And RG 11

Old 09-05-2012, 02:33   #1
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point
What is difference between RG 6 Cable And RG 11

i had engineer round today after problem with signal to my tivo he told he has rang in to get my cable pulled or changed, he also said it wouldn't lose signal as much. i just wonder does my whole cable network in my house have to be rewired with this new cable or just parts. any help would be massively helpful.
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 02:57   #2
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: What is difference between RG 6 Cable And RG 11

Have a look here, it may give you an idea as to what they're talking about.
http://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...num=1314177884
However I doubt that the problem is actually with the cable spec.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09   #3
Harryn9000
cf.geek

it do with the signal isn't holding as far as i no.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18   #4
jempalmer

There are countless reasons as to why your Tivo is not receiving signal properly. My comment was simply that I don't believe that the cable to it is causing your problem. Do you have a good internet connection?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21   #5
Harryn9000
cf.geek

100MB connection mate with shrub. i don't have a clue my self the engineer never explain it very well either just said it need repull or change of cable.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31   #6
jempalmer

I think that you need to speak to someone at VM to find out why a change of cable will resolve your problem. There are other, vastly more informed, people on this forum. See if you can speak to one of them later today. My opinion still stands though, a cable change will not fix it, unless they made a pig's ear of it the first time.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42   #7
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

RG11 should only be used really if you are a fair distance from the cabinet, do you know where your cabinet is, RG11 is a thick cable which can carry more signal than RG6 over distance.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Rg11 is required if your far away from the cabinet, if your already on the top tap and the signal is poor at the end of the drop you need a thicker cable. It's only no our omni box, the insides remain rg6.

---------- Post added at 07:27 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I think that you need to speak to someone at VM to find out why a change of cable will resolve your problem. There are other, vastly more informed, people on this forum. See if you can speak to one of them later today. My opinion still stands though, a cable change will not fix it, unless they made a pig's ear of it the first time.
Dave in India won't have a clue, no point calling them. All they say "your box is old, it's that" or there is a problem with your box.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Attenuation is the main difference .. it's used for low signal situations where they can't turn the signal up anymore at the cabinet.. At for example 100m's from the cabinet it should give you as much as 7db gain on the power figures compared with rg6 (rg6=14db loss @ 300Mhz/100m where as rg11=7db loss @ 300Mhz/100m)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09   #10
essjay
cf.addict

essjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond repute

As others have already stated it's all to do with signal loss and how far away you are from the cabinet, 120m+ and you will have problems with RG6 at the higher end of the spectrum.

A couple of examples.

100m of RG6 would lose approx 16db at 600Mhz

100m of RG11 would lose approx 10db at 600Mhz

That 6db difference is quite a lot.
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 14:36   #11
Harryn9000
cf.geek

as far as i no i'm on the top tap in the cab as it stands and the signal is breaking up on certain channel but i not far from the cab so that what is puzzling me. so it the cable from the cab to my house is getting changed and all the cable in my house will stay in place as it is now
Old 09-05-2012, 14:39   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
as far as i no i'm on the top tap in the cab as it stands and the signal is breaking up on certain channel
Then having RG11 installed will give you a better signal strength

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 14:45   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Perhaps the existing cable is damaged.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 15:59   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Perhaps the existing cable is damaged.
Perhaps, but no harm putting a thicker cable in
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:22   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Easier to drop a signal with attenuators than it is to raise a signal past what the taps can produce... a better coax sounds like a good plan
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote