Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

Old 28-02-2012, 23:25   #1
GJT
Inactive

GJT is an unknown quantity at this point
Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

We recently upgraded to a TiVo box.

Previously, we had V+ downstairs, which was also cabled upstairs to a second TV controlled by a magic eye (all via coax cabling)

When the guy installed the Tivo, he moved the V+ box upstairs as we still had a fair amount of programs on the drive that still needed to be viewed. Now we have cleared these from the V+ box, we want to take this out of the loop and have the TiVo display on multiple TV's.

Currently, as the attached image shows, the virgin cabling comes in downstairs and goes from the virgin box on the wall to a 2 way splitter.

This then goes out of the splitter to the virgin modem and then to another splitter. From here, it goes to the TiVo downstairs and also back outside of the property to the upstairs where it terminates in a further virgin socket on the inside of an upstairs bedroom. From here it then goes to the V+ box.

Upstairs, the V+ box to TV connection is via HDMI cable, downstairs the TiVo to TV is via Scart.

The installer said that when we wanted to take out the V+ we could just remove the coax from the box, connect an adapter he left with us (to allow us to connect to standard ariel input on TV) and it should be as easy as that.

This does not seem to work, as when I attempt to tune the TV in upstairs, it finds nothing....

Does this all sound correct, or do I need something different in the setup?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png cabling.png (40.0 KB, 106 views)
GJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-02-2012, 11:21   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

There is no way you could get a signal to the set upstairs as the second splitter would block the signal with the present setup.

You would need an RF modulator connected to the Scart on the TiVO, as this also feeds the downstairs TV it would have to be a loopthrough device like THIS one. The feed going upstairs would have to be disconnected from the splitter and a female coax plug fitted, and a male plug fitted on the upstairs end going into the TV.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:05   #3
GJT
Inactive

GJT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I will take a look at the set up.

Just wondering how the setup has changed since changing over from the V+ as I was not here when the guy came and did the installation.

GJT
GJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:53   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

If all else fails use an AV sender and forget wires. Works fine on my TiVo from the scart output to upstairs TV scart input, whilst HDMI serves main TV.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:43   #5
jossin
Inactive

jossin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just bought new bush 3d hd tv with freeview and since installing it both tv's upstairs have lost all channels I am on sky at the moment but changing to virgin next week. does anyone know why this would be and if when changing to cable it will fix it or should I investigate it now ?
jossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 21:51   #6
jdwcov
Inactive

jdwcov is an unknown quantity at this point

I have bought an RF modulator (like that suggested by nodrogd ) .Which scart position on the Tivo box do I connect the modulator? Do I connect the scart lead currently connected to the TV to the modulator or do I use the other unused scart position on the Tivo box?
jdwcov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:11   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwcov View Post
I have bought an RF modulator (like that suggested by nodrogd ) .Which scart position on the Tivo box do I connect the modulator? Do I connect the scart lead currently connected to the TV to the modulator or do I use the other unused scart position on the Tivo box?
If your box has two Scart's then you have a V+, not a TiVO. The Modulator should be connected to the VCR Scart. With the Sammy V+ box this will be the top one.
Old 27-03-2012, 18:51   #8
bhandas
Inactive

bhandas is an unknown quantity at this point

I need some help with my tivo box. I had a virgin plus downstairs and wanted it moved upstairs and the tivo to be put in its place. The chap said there is no connection on the back of the tivo box for the outdoor aerial to connect the equipment - which connects two other tv's downstairs with a booster. I therefore had the tivo put upstairs instead but am not happy with this. I have been on the internet and think that this information is wrong and still want it connected downstairs. What do i need to do to get this done. Does anyone know what i mean?
bhandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 19:21   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandas View Post
I need some help with my tivo box. I had a virgin plus downstairs and wanted it moved upstairs and the tivo to be put in its place. The chap said there is no connection on the back of the tivo box for the outdoor aerial to connect the equipment - which connects two other tv's downstairs with a booster. I therefore had the tivo put upstairs instead but am not happy with this. I have been on the internet and think that this information is wrong and still want it connected downstairs. What do i need to do to get this done. Does anyone know what i mean?
I take it that you have one of the old SA V+ boxes, as these are only ones to still have an RF loopthrough built in. The Sammy V+ and the TiVO do not have this facility and you would have to use a modulator as I have described in my previous posts.
Old 23-03-2013, 12:18   #10
sheff71
Inactive

sheff71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looking on girlfriend's behalf - she has a Tivo box and currently a non-HDtv downstairs, and another tv upstairs with HDMI connections. From reading this thread the Tivo only has one SCART socket?

Currently, the main tv downstairs is connected via SCART, and she'd like to connect the upstairs tv too... so, if I purchase one of the modulators referenced in the thread (I have one of these on my V+ setup, and use it to feed to HDMI and RF tvs), would I need to use the modulator with the main tv, and get a long HDMI lead to the other tv?

any thoughts appreciated!
sheff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 12:54   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff71 View Post
Just looking on girlfriend's behalf - she has a Tivo box and currently a non-HDtv downstairs, and another tv upstairs with HDMI connections. From reading this thread the Tivo only has one SCART socket?

Currently, the main tv downstairs is connected via SCART, and she'd like to connect the upstairs tv too... so, if I purchase one of the modulators referenced in the thread (I have one of these on my V+ setup, and use it to feed to HDMI and RF tvs), would I need to use the modulator with the main tv, and get a long HDMI lead to the other tv?

any thoughts appreciated!
The quoted modulator has a Scart loopthrough, so only having one Scart on the TiVO is no problem. You can use a long HDMI to feed the set that has this connection. The only niggle people have been finding is the auto switching facility on the TiVO, which will automatically put it into standby if the HDMI connected TV is turned off.
Old 23-03-2013, 15:11   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The only niggle people have been finding is the auto switching facility on the TiVO, which will automatically put it into standby if the HDMI connected TV is turned off.
I don't know of a feature like that. But a few people get an error message on the SCART when their HDMI-connected TV is turned off. Could you be thinking of that?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12   #13
Daveotto
Inactive

Daveotto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have moved to a VM TiVo box from Sky and was wondering whether I can split the VM signal to other tv's in the house.

With my sky set up I was using a splitter to take the Sky signal to 4 other tv's around the house, via an Rf output to a UHF input in the splitter. Is it possible to use this set up with VM?

Was thinking I could try to split the HDMI output and and have one to the main tv and the other to the UHF input on the splitter, would this work?

The splitter us a remote link A240D
Daveotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 18:57   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
Hi,

I have moved to a VM TiVo box from Sky and was wondering whether I can split the VM signal to other tv's in the house.

With my sky set up I was using a splitter to take the Sky signal to 4 other tv's around the house, via an Rf output to a UHF input in the splitter. Is it possible to use this set up with VM?

Was thinking I could try to split the HDMI output and and have one to the main tv and the other to the UHF input on the splitter, would this work?

The splitter us a remote link A240D
You would need an RF modulator connected to the Scart socket on the TiVO to achieve RF distribution. You cannot connect HDMI directly to the A240D, they are not compatible.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42   #15
Daveotto
Inactive

Daveotto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
You would need an RF modulator connected to the Scart socket on the TiVO to achieve RF distribution. You cannot connect HDMI directly to the A240D, they are not compatible.
Thanks for quick reply and advice.

So using the RF modulator between the Scart and A240D would give me VM signal on all the tv's connected to the A240D but I would loose HD quality, correct?

A secondary question, due to our house location and poor roof aerial the Sky box/dish also works as an aerial giving good quality DTV on the A240 connected TV's. Would I loose the DTV capability on these TV's if I connected to the TiVo box and disconnected from the sky box.
Daveotto is offline   Reply With Quote