Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Credit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Universal Credit

Old 13-03-2012, 12:36   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Universal Credit

I have just read articles on the sky news website www.skynews,co.uk concerning the Universal Credit, which will be announced in the Budget.

This will not help the coalition win new friends, you cannot bring out a new benefit system to try and force people back to work - there isn't any work out there.

People whinge that's why foreign workers are getting jobs, where British workers cannot, simple answer to that one - employers are offering cheap wages to keep themself in business.

To live in this country, you need a decent wage to live on, everything is going up but not wages.

How does this coalition expect people to survive, when they are making cutbacks, they are making people with disability benefit go back to work - to save money. Now they have the Universal Benefit will will hit thousands of people and again people will go onto the poverty line. This is not the 1950's when money was scarce.

This is typical of a Tory government of trying to save money, and the Lib Dems should be totally ashamed of themself for allowing this to happen.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 12:43   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Universal Credit

Jesus when are we going to get a non political thread for once as today it just seems to be a political bashing day.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:47   #3
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I have just read articles on the sky news website www.skynews,co.uk concerning the Universal Credit, which will be announced in the Budget.

This will not help the coalition win new friends, you cannot bring out a new benefit system to try and force people back to work - there isn't any work out there.

People whinge that's why foreign workers are getting jobs, where British workers cannot, simple answer to that one - employers are offering cheap wages to keep themself in business.

To live in this country, you need a decent wage to live on, everything is going up but not wages.

How does this coalition expect people to survive, when they are making cutbacks, they are making people with disability benefit go back to work - to save money. Now they have the Universal Benefit will will hit thousands of people and again people will go onto the poverty line. This is not the 1950's when money was scarce.

This is typical of a Tory government of trying to save money, and the Lib Dems should be totally ashamed of themself for allowing this to happen.
But if they put the minimum wage up, private companies will just put up prices of everything to make up the losses and then the cost of living will go up meaning the new minimum wage will be just as useless as the cost of living has increased again, so that problem is always gonna be around unfortunetly.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:47   #4
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Jesus when are we going to get a non political thread for once as today it just seems to be a political bashing day.
Here you go denphone

A non political thread.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:49   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Yeah there is. People just don't like the idea of not upgrading to a new iphone.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:50   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Here you go denphone

A non political thread.
A blessed relief one must say old chap.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:56   #7
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

By the way Universal Credit, has been an idea which has been on the cards since the DSS was replaced by DWP, it is to make it easier as well as get people off benefits, there is just too many! and some of them unfair, Why should people on Jobseekers Allowance who are genuinely looking for work get less than someone on Income Support, it makes no sense! The cost of travelling to interviews as well as to the jobcentre to sign on as well as buying food,gas and electricity is a lot, £53 per week for under 25's is too low! Those on income support and ESA get up to something like £90 per week which is unfair for jobseekers, those on income support and ESA are likely to be claiming other benefits as well.

I think the current Jobseekers allowance system is encouraging and helpful to find work, but the pay is very low and I really don't think it is very beneficial for those living alone. I was only on it for about 3 to 4 weeks before finding another job, it was very hard!
Old 13-03-2012, 12:59   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
...everything is going up but not wages.
Minimum wage goes up every year

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:00   #9
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Minimum wage goes up every year
And so do electricity bills,bus fares,train fares,virgin media and all other essentials
Old 13-03-2012, 13:02   #10
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I've never been in a position to claim benefits. my father did when I was younger. but I can see how people can't survive/afford to live with the cost of living it is today.

but then you have a lot of people on benefits who blow the money they have got on weed and stuff.

how much is the average cost a week if you're on weed anyway?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:03   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Part of the reason why the old system isn't any good is because people miss out on what they are entitled to because they don't know they can claim and there is also so much confusion in the dept itself as to what can be claimed and what can't
Old 13-03-2012, 13:03   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post

The cost of travelling to interviews!
This is very generously paid back.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-03-2012, 13:24   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This is not the 1950's when money was scarce.
Er um, it may not be the 1950s, but money is scarce. Somehow or other we need to expect governments to balance the books just as a household must. The chickens have come home to roost and we cannot continue to live on the never never both at household and government level.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:48   #14
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
It is?

Not for me it wasn't, they said I wasn't on Jobseekers allowance for long enough.

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Also in London you get half price travel after 6 months of being on JSA. No help otherwise
Old 13-03-2012, 13:51   #15
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
It is?

Not for me it wasn't, they said I wasn't on Jobseekers allowance for long enough.

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Also in London you get half price travel after 6 months of being on JSA. No help otherwise
I was on Jobseeker's for 3 weeks when I had an interview 180 miles away. I drove there which cost me about £50 round trip. After the Jobcentre confirmed I attended they paid me £90 for it. I'm assuming they factored in wear and tear etc on the car but I have no idea why they paid so much. I questioned it but they were adamant it was the right amount.

Vote #AnyoneButTory