Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone line totally dead

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Phone line totally dead

Old 19-11-2010, 15:04   #1
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter
Phone line totally dead

Just noticed in the last couple of days my phone line is totally dead. If I pick up the phone I can't hear anything except a really really feint static sound. Can't call out, there are no dial tones or anything, no sound. If I phone in from my mobile it just rings and rings and nothing happens on the home phone. Tried to access my sky account from Sky+HD box (which is free but uses the telephone line) and it fails.

Can't call Virgin as the phone is down, what can I do?

Ps. have broadband which is working fine.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2010, 16:15   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Phone line totally dead

If you call Virginmedia on your mobile they will call you back as it is a phone fault and that is part of the diagnostics that they must follow so call up now or it will never get fixed.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:54   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Or if you know someone with a Virgin phone line phone use theirs
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 20:50   #4
janipewter
Inactive

janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice

Doesn't it cost £1.50 a minute to call them from a mobile. I don't want to be on hold for 10+ minutes before I even get to talk to someone...no thanks.
Old 19-11-2010, 23:17   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipewter View Post
Doesn't it cost £1.50 a minute to call them from a mobile. I don't want to be on hold for 10+ minutes before I even get to talk to someone...no thanks.
It should be the standard rate for a 0845 number and they will call you back, try just after 0800 tomorrow morning.
Old 20-11-2010, 02:24   #6
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipewter View Post
Just noticed in the last couple of days my phone line is totally dead. If I pick up the phone I can't hear anything except a really really feint static sound. Can't call out, there are no dial tones or anything, no sound. If I phone in from my mobile it just rings and rings and nothing happens on the home phone. Tried to access my sky account from Sky+HD box (which is free but uses the telephone line) and it fails.

Can't call Virgin as the phone is down, what can I do?

Ps. have broadband which is working fine.
What colour is your home phone?
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 03:49   #7
janipewter
Inactive

Black. Are you racist?
Old 20-11-2010, 08:37   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Baa Baa black sheep, am I racist?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53   #9
Arborlinden
Inactive

Arborlinden is an unknown quantity at this point

My phone has been dead for nearly a week. Reported fault by email and received confirmation that the "engineers were on the case". Heard no more until I send a request for progress report and received an email saying that they had "checked the line and it was OK but if I was still having trouble I should reply to email giving times when I would be available for service call. did this 24 hours ago.: no response.
In the past when I have had phone trouble, it has gone dead before, NTL has either fixed it externally or arranged a service call quite quickly. Now that Virgin Media provides has taken over it seems to me that their customer service is much worse that NTL's used to be. To be without a phone for a week can be very serious especially if you are old with a medical condition it could be a matter of life or death. Of course i have a Virgin Media mobile so the longer they delay fixing my land line the more £20.00 top-ups I am having to make to my Mobile and since my mobile reports "limited service" half the time trying to use it can involve standing outside the house in my dressing gown
Any on else find that Virgin Media is any but a "service"
Arborlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arborlinden View Post
My phone has been dead for nearly a week. Reported fault by email and received confirmation that the "engineers were on the case". Heard no more until I send a request for progress report and received an email saying that they had "checked the line and it was OK but if I was still having trouble I should reply to email giving times when I would be available for service call. did this 24 hours ago.: no response.
In the past when I have had phone trouble, it has gone dead before, NTL has either fixed it externally or arranged a service call quite quickly. Now that Virgin Media provides has taken over it seems to me that their customer service is much worse that NTL's used to be. To be without a phone for a week can be very serious especially if you are old with a medical condition it could be a matter of life or death. Of course i have a Virgin Media mobile so the longer they delay fixing my land line the more £20.00 top-ups I am having to make to my Mobile and since my mobile reports "limited service" half the time trying to use it can involve standing outside the house in my dressing gown
Any on else find that Virgin Media is any but a "service"
A little over the top, if your elderly and need the phoneline you can register with virgin as a lifeline customer where they have to respond to your phoneline in 4 hours. If you asked a neighbour to use their phone or used your mobile to call the 0845 number you'd have saved yourself alot of time and money
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13   #11
Arborlinden
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
A little over the top, if your elderly and need the phoneline you can register with virgin as a lifeline customer where they have to respond to your phoneline in 4 hours. If you asked a neighbour to use their phone or used your mobile to call the 0845 number you'd have saved yourself alot of time and money

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

How would I have saved money by calling the 0845 number? I used the email to report the fault and got a fault report number. Would calling the 0845 number have got a quicker service call than an email fault report? Please read posts properly before making nonsensical replies
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:

How would I have saved money by calling the 0845 number? I used the email to report the fault and got a fault report number. Would calling the 0845 number have got a quicker service call than an email fault report? Please read posts properly before making nonsensical replies
You wrote

Of course i have a Virgin Media mobile so the longer they delay fixing my land line the more £20.00 top-ups I am having to make to my Mobile

Read your own posts

So while your topping up waiting for an email reply, if you called up in the first place a technician could have been deployed an en-route to you today, also you could have claimed your 0845 call costs back from virgin once your phone is re-connected.

P.s have you seen the weather lately? Could explain why its taking longer to get a reply as staff cant make it to work or they are re-arranging appointments missed by technicians
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

They appear to attached you to an outage, but that is not always correct, so being advised to call in on another phone using 0845 454 1111 is sound advice as you will then know if an engineer is required rather than it being an area fault.

You can also check the service status by clicking the link in my signature for your area as well.
Old 02-12-2010, 13:58   #14
Arborlinden
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
They appear to attached you to an outage, but that is not always correct, so being advised to call in on another phone using 0845 454 1111 is sound advice as you will then know if an engineer is required rather than it being an area fault.

You can also check the service status by clicking the link in my signature for your area as well.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

I always check service status when I have a problem and refrain from reporting a fault is there is a reported problem. There was none reported on we site last week. However I have noticed that there can be no problem reported on web but there is a verbal message on 150 which I use when it is broadband or television at fault.
Few people are happy to use their mobiles to call premium rate numbers such as 0845 but it look like what you are saying is that 0845 call are an effective fault reporting action where as filling the fault report on the Virgin Media web site is non-effective. Certainly seems so in my case.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
You wrote

Of course i have a Virgin Media mobile so the longer they delay fixing my land line the more £20.00 top-ups I am having to make to my Mobile

Read your own posts

So while your topping up waiting for an email reply, if you called up in the first place a technician could have been deployed an en-route to you today, also you could have claimed your 0845 call costs back from virgin once your phone is re-connected.

P.s have you seen the weather lately? Could explain why its taking longer to get a reply as staff cant make it to work or they are re-arranging appointments missed by technicians

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Why should calling Virgin Media on 0845 result in a engineer visit when using the official web page to report a fault and receiving an email acknowledgement result in no further action. I have noticed the weather, however I have not noticed that the snow has significantly delayed my emails, they still seem just as quick and the snow might have delayed a call from Virgin Media to my mobile number given as contact details in my fault report but by a week! VM service could have used either service to tell me that the weather has rendered VM service impotent and they would get an engineer to me in the Spring.
Old 02-12-2010, 15:40   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

I always check service status when I have a problem and refrain from reporting a fault is there is a reported problem. There was none reported on we site last week. However I have noticed that there can be no problem reported on web but there is a verbal message on 150 which I use when it is broadband or television at fault.
Few people are happy to use their mobiles to call premium rate numbers such as 0845 but it look like what you are saying is that 0845 call are an effective fault reporting action where as filling the fault report on the Virgin Media web site is non-effective. Certainly seems so in my case.
We have a diagnostics flow which tells us to ask if you are on a mobile and to ring you back if so, many people ring from a neighbours phone as well.

Do you have any neighbours in the houses either side that are also on a Virginmedia phone line and if so is their phone line dead, if their phone is not dead then you need an engineer.