Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Allotments

Old 26-02-2012, 21:28   #151
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Allotments

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
It's that time of the year again.
Kymmy, Have you got any tips on growing potato's in containers?
Last years effort at growing veg was a disaster, so I thought about trying again on a smaller scale and in containers, rather than in the garden.

TIA
One of the latest seed catalogues has a good & simple drawing/instructions and although they use a potato planter you can use a large laundry bag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg potatos.jpg (626.0 KB, 68 views)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-02-2012, 06:58   #152
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Something I should have added when I posted the above was to if possible chit the potatoes first..

You can buy small bags (like five roosters in wilkinson) when you get them home grab an old egg box and remove the lid. In the bottom place the potatoes with the eyes up (if you can;t see any eyes then look for where the potato was attached tot he plant, that bit should go down) and then place the box in a light but cool area (frost free.) The eyes should eventually sprout and should stay small and dark and not long and white (means there's not enough light) By chitting you will be giving the potato a good head start in life.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:45   #153
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Container-grown spuds are easy, but a good tip is to water them like crazy after the flowers fade, that's when the spuds swell.... but don't overdo it!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:36   #154
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

Question - Has anyone had any experience growing Strawberries with Tomatoes?

Also, Would Growing Strawberries in a Line with Peas in Front work? The shade would not affect the fruit turning red? Is it the heat that turns them red?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:30   #155
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've never grown them together and it appears to me that the heavy feeding habits of tomatoes might affect the strawberries. I grow Basil with tomatoes though as they seem to like the same conditions.

Peas and strawbs might work as the peas would supply extra nitrogen, but that could cause "more green. less fruit". I think it's sunlight, not heat, that ripens them, and always pick at max ripeness for best flavour, That's why shop-bought ones are watery. And eat as soon as possible as they won't improve, they'll rot.

Alpine strawbs go almost black when ripe, and they are my favourite "sweeties" as I forage around the garden. Hardly any make it into the house. I get my 5-a-day in minutes in the garden.
Old 11-03-2012, 17:41   #156
Kymmy
Inactive

First seeds of the year have popped up in the propagation trays.. Not the tomatoes, Squash, Pumpkins, Sweetcorn or Chillies.. instead its the two different types of Sunflower we have round the allotment (Giant and Autumn Beauty) We grow them between the beds as they feed the wild birds and also really do attract the pollinators.
Old 11-03-2012, 19:18   #157
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Not the tomatoes, Squash, Pumpkins, Sweetcorn or Chillies..
All those need a bit of real warmth to get going AFAIK. I need to start my chillis as they love a long season, but I've run out of warm window space!
Old 11-03-2012, 19:28   #158
Kymmy
Inactive

Wilkinson has some great little miniature greenhouses (4 tier double seedtray width) for only a tenner. My main seeds are in there with covers on them.. Also light enough to carry in/out so it's indoors at night whilst it's fully loaded.. Will also come in handy for keeping the chillis in once all the seeds are transplanted. Ideal for anyone starting out as well

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-gr...s76aYYKg%3D%3D
Old 11-03-2012, 19:48   #159
Taf
cf.mega poster

I have a few of that sort... the problem is light as well... going looking for growlights around here would incur a visit from the Drug Squad in no time!
Old 11-03-2012, 20:22   #160
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I've never grown them together and it appears to me that the heavy feeding habits of tomatoes might affect the strawberries. I grow Basil with tomatoes though as they seem to like the same conditions.

Peas and strawbs might work as the peas would supply extra nitrogen, but that could cause "more green. less fruit". I think it's sunlight, not heat, that ripens them, and always pick at max ripeness for best flavour, That's why shop-bought ones are watery. And eat as soon as possible as they won't improve, they'll rot.

Alpine strawbs go almost black when ripe, and they are my favourite "sweeties" as I forage around the garden. Hardly any make it into the house. I get my 5-a-day in minutes in the garden.

I havent got any alpines, cant say ive seen any either. Youve got me thinking now, maybe i should get some.
Old 11-03-2012, 21:04   #161
Kymmy
Inactive

Problem with alpines is that they are tiny.

We have a good mix up the allotment with currently 150+ strawberry plants ...YUMMY
Old 11-03-2012, 22:40   #162
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Problem with alpines is that they are tiny.

We have a good mix up the allotment with currently 150+ strawberry plants ...YUMMY
send me some :P could do with some. tried to find some round here but aint found any yet
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14   #163
Taf
cf.mega poster

Alpines are one of the few that actually taste of strawberry... little flavour bombs! They don't waste energy on growing runners either.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16   #164
Kymmy
Inactive

Sweet temptation was always my choice for strawberries at home.. Grew them from seed a few times and they are mostly runnerless.
Old 12-03-2012, 14:17   #165
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Sorry for going slightly off topic but the talk of where best to grow Strawberries brought back some happy memories for me.

My Grandad always edged his flower boarders with alternate Strawberry plants and Pansies. I would be sent out to collect some flower heads, my Nan's salads always looked very exotic with the pansy flowers scattered over it and they tasted nice as well. She even candied some to decorate my wedding cake.

The tiny strawberries never seemed to make it to the table though.