Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where are we all going to work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Where are we all going to work?

Old 12-11-2017, 21:10   #76
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Where are we all going to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
But the world is better than it was however many years ago that was . Over the last 20-30 years people can travel further for cheaper, they can communicate which distant people easier and cheaper almost instantly wherever they are, we carry devices around that allow us to do that or find out almost any information we want at a moment's notice and fewer people are dying of starvation, war, poverty or disease.

Would you have been able to believe some of the oppertunities and technologies that exist today when you where whatever age I am?
No when I was much younger the were those who were telling us that the retirement age would come steadily down and we'd all be worrying more about what to do in the increasing years of retirement but none of the opportunities and technologies you refer to are likely to involve providing more work for humans than the companies responsible for them can get away with. In fact the driver for these things is all too often to shed people. In the west at least, humans are expensive to employ and need all sorts of benefits, protections etc. that machines don't. I'd hazard a guess that I'm at least twice your age but that's only a guess.

Unless our employers are going to hire people so they can pay them wages in order to buy their products and services, I don't see where the jobs you allude to are going to come from, I really don't.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2017, 21:18   #77
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If people become much poorer they will have less to spend.

If employers use robots to cut costs, they will have have to pass these cost savings on to reduce the prices.

There would be a real danger of 'negative inflation' which would be disastrous for the economy.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:53   #78
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

This isn't exactly a surprise is it:

Quote:
Automated checkout machines put off about a quarter of older people from going shopping, a survey from a housing charity for the elderly suggests.
They can find the automated checkouts "intimidating" and "unfriendly," according to the charity, Anchor.
Without someone to talk to at the tills, shopping can be a "miserable experience," a spokesman said.
The British Retail Consortium said it was important for shops to be welcome destinations for all of the community.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42052234

Somewhere in amongst all the profit/loss calculations surely the value to people of dealing with other people needs to be taken into account and maybe government needs to create incentives on order to ensure this. I never use self service tills but that choice is slowly being taken away. Do we really want to be slowly reduced to dealing with machines and robots in almost every area of our lives?

I was listening to an expert on AI the other day being interviewed on Radio 4. She made the point that the days when machines only took away jobs from the lower paid and manual workers are long gone. Even over paid BBC radio presenters aren't safe...

Last edited by Osem; 21-11-2017 at 10:06.
Old 21-11-2017, 10:07   #79
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
This isn't exactly a surprise is it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42052234

Somewhere in amongst all the profit/loss calculations surely the value to people of dealing with other people needs to be taken into account and maybe government needs to create incentives on order to ensure this. I never use self service tills but that choice is slowly being taken away. Do we really want to be slowly reduced to dealing with machines and robots in almost every area of our lives?
You'd have made a very good Luddite ! Times and the type of work people do change.

If you run out of work you can always spend all day posting paranoia on forums....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 10:26   #80
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally we detest Automated checkout machines and will avoid them at all costs.
Old 21-11-2017, 11:27   #81
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally we detest Automated checkout machines and will avoid them at all costs.
i would rather stand in a queue for 20 mins to get served by a human

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You'd have made a very good Luddite ! Times and the type of work people do change.

If you run out of work you can always spend all day posting paranoia on forums....
about the NHS
Old 21-11-2017, 11:40   #82
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
We went into a Tesco supermarket about 4 years ago and thus had quite a lot in our trolley and once finished we went to the normal checkout and a lady came to us and said you will have to use one of the automated checkouts and our reply was a curt no thank you as we want to be served by a human operated checkout and sadly she still did not budge thus a rather blunt polite reply to her was well if you don't serve us we will leave our trolley here and go elsewhere and seconds later came her reply back that she was going to get someone quickly to serve us.
Old 21-11-2017, 11:48   #83
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I actually don't mind machines, in fact I own quite a few . . car, washing machine, vacuum, lawnmower etc . .

However the idea of machinery replacing people to generate profit for better machinery to replace more people does seem to be a tad concerning when you look at the long term.

I have this vision of humans eventually doing 4 hour shifts, running in large hamster wheels simply to generate the power needed to keep the machines operating
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 20:09   #84
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
{B]I actually don't mind machines, in fact I own quite a few . . car, washing machine, vacuum, lawnmower etc . .

However the idea of machinery replacing people to generate profit for better machinery to replace more people does seem to be a tad concerning when you look at the long term.
[/B]

I have this vision of humans eventually doing 4 hour shifts, running in large hamster wheels simply to generate the power needed to keep the machines operating
Yes don't we all but to anyone with a brain cell or three that prospect ought to be of concern, especially those who spend their lives telling us that life outside the EU will result in financial ruin, the collapse of the NHS and mass unemployment in the UK. Maybe they're just paranoid though eh?...

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We went into a Tesco supermarket about 4 years ago and thus had quite a lot in our trolley and once finished we went to the normal checkout and a lady came to us and said you will have to use one of the automated checkouts and our reply was a curt no thank you as we want to be served by a human operated checkout and sadly she still did not budge thus a rather blunt polite reply to her was well if you don't serve us we will leave our trolley here and go elsewhere and seconds later came her reply back that she was going to get someone quickly to serve us.

Whenever they suggest we use the automatic tills I tell them I prefer chatting to a human being. It's very sad that they have to push people to use the machines that will eventually replace many of them and I do think a compromise can be reached by which jobs can be preserved without turning our backs on technology. There'll need to be the political will to do it though and if there isn't the future doesn't look great for a whole lot of us.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

about the NHS
EU migrants and fax rolls are in short supply you know. The NHS is dependent on both...

Last edited by Osem; 21-11-2017 at 19:59.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13   #85
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
RBS is closing 259 branches - one in four of its outlets - and cutting 680 jobs as more customers bank online.
The closures involve 62 Royal Bank of Scotland and 197 NatWest branches.
RBS, which is 72%-owned by the taxpayer, said it would try to ensure compulsory redundancies were "kept to an absolute minimum".
The bank said use of its branches by customers had fallen 40% since 2014, but the Unite union, which represents bank staff, called the cuts "savage".
Following the closures, the RBS group will be left with 744 branches.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42192641

Every time I go into a bank they try to persuade me to do my banking online so this is not really a surprise is it. They'd very much like there to be no branches and if they carry on like this that's what'll happen. Still I suppose there'll be more room in our high streets for nail bars and coffee shops...
Old 01-12-2017, 12:31   #86
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

What I don't want is machines/robots that talk/argue to me. Shades of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..Or according to the late great Dave Allen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PinfbvkbwZk

BTW it is Dave Allen so some mild swearing involved.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33   #87
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42192641

Every time I go into a bank they try to persuade me to do my banking online so this is not really a surprise is it. They'd very much like there to be no branches and if they carry on like this that's what'll happen. Still I suppose there'll be more room in our high streets for nail bars and coffee shops...
i joined the giro bank i think it was in the 80s no premises all done over the phone now it's been taken over by santander i still use the telephone banking system although they do now have branches [ the old abbey national] that they also took over ,i went to transfer some cash to buy another boat and was met with a total brick wall by the manager , so i wen't home got on the phone and transferred the money in a matter of minutes .
Old 01-12-2017, 14:14   #88
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
i joined the giro bank i think it was in the 80s no premises all done over the phone now it's been taken over by santander i still use the telephone banking system although they do now have branches [ the old abbey national] that they also took over ,i went to transfer some cash to buy another boat and was met with a total brick wall by the manager , so i wen't home got on the phone and transferred the money in a matter of minutes .
... and they're making it easier/faster to do online and or by phone for the very reason that they want to shift the responsibility/risk to us, close down branches and shed staff. They close branches so more people bank online then use that to justify closing more branches....
Old 01-12-2017, 14:37   #89
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I'm with a bank that's mobile only, cool stuff though.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 14:56   #90
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I'm with a bank that's mobile only, cool stuff though.
Yes very cool until it all goes wrong and you have no other choice...

Anyway back to RBS, I believe we the taxpayer still own the vast majority of it so oughtn't this be a case where the wider public interest is taken into account?