Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old CATV systems (70s/80s)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Old CATV systems (70s/80s)

Old 01-11-2017, 21:37   #1
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Old CATV systems (70s/80s)

Do any of you remember the original CATV systems that were put up in the 70s and 80s? Do you remember who your provider was or what channels you had?

I think the one we had was installed by the local authority to get around the fact that the new housing estate (mid 70s) was built behind an ironstone hill, which effectively blocked the terrestrial signal. I am assuming they put an antenna on the top of that hill (there's a mast there with a pair of antennae pointed at the TV tower).

When they expanded the estate, they applied a "no external aerials" rule to the area and the basic system was extended to the new homes. In '91, the system was sold (I think) to "County Cable", who presumably linked that segment of the network up to another small cable company, which was operating where the current hubsite is now and who had a satellite dish in their yard.

They added these satellite channels (just a few) and began to charge for the service. The aerial restriction was lifted and we had a TV aerial installed. For about a year though, they allowed everyone to view the premium content before eventually disconnecting those that didn't want to continue subscribing. I think we had Sky Channel, MTV, Children's Channel and a few others.

Do any of you remember something similar in your areas?
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2017, 10:23   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Old CATV systems (70s/80s)

You may be interested in this.

http://www.rediffusion.info/

We had a modern offshoot of it in Hemel Hempstead. The new town was built with the concept of "NO AERIALS" with TV/Radio services provided by British Relay.

The system used a multi-core cable to provide 4 TV & 4 Radio channels. BBC 1 & ITV London were provided, along with BBC 2 & ITV Anglia (until the launch of Channel 4), & BBC Radios 1, 2, 3 & 4. With the cabling going from house to house & being subsidised by the local council it managed to last until the end of 1982, when the plug was pulled.

We then had to wait until 1990 for County Cable to start installing HFC. For a while they too provided us with Anglia ITV & the first local TV channel in the country (West Herts Television). The local TV service closed when Comtel took over from Telecential, & ITV Anglia disappeared (to much local disgust) when services went digital.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

We had a Redifussion radio-only box in the 50's and 60's. A big switch to change channels (the Light Programme, and the Home progamme I think) and a single speaker.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:03   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Milton Keynes and Westminster were quite big installs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog...#Milton_Keynes
Old 02-11-2017, 13:31   #5
psyentist
cf.member

psyentist is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you a bit about a system that was introduced in the mid 60s in Woolwich & Plumstead, South-East London.

It was originally called "Woolwich relay" and was a system to get around the fact that the area was in the shadow of Shooters Hill, thus effectively blocking signals from Crystal palace (BBC) & Croydon (ITV).

Initially it was VHF (405 lines) and offered three channels - BBC London, ITV London and ITV Anglia. Some people (including my father) had previously erected aerials pointing to the Anglia transmitter at Mendlesham to get a watchable ITV signal.

Later it was converted to UHF (625 lines) to accommodate BBC2 transmissions including colour. This required a total upgrade to the cabling & repeaters - the latter made by Teleng.

I believe the system was based on a similar operation in Canada. My father was the main service engineer and we left London as a family in 1969 so not sure what happened after that.

I do know the cable network was later operated by Greenwich Cablevision.
psyentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:16   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Some more info here:

http://www.meargreen.co.uk/britishrelay/

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154678

British Relay adverts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltI09lTuGjk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0q-v12_zk

Rediffusion:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...php?p=22672414
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22   #7
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Some interesting info here - I've seen most of these before but others might not have. Thanks for sharing!
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41   #8
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp
Do any of you remember the original CATV systems that were put up in the 70s and 80s? Do you remember who your provider was or what channels you had?
Yes and I loved it mate,pure analogue glory!!

I remember the day we got it hooked up...... 36 channels of goregousness!!!

GOOD cartoons everyday

Sure has gone downill since
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote