Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | U.S President: Donald Trump

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

U.S President: Donald Trump
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:37   #1576
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: U.S President: Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
https://www.ft.com/content/93d3ea4e-...a-1e14ce4af89b or Google "Comey to say that Trump asked for assurances on ‘loyalty’
There is a 7 page testimony on Senate website on what Comey is going to say up to a point.

Nothing new so far. It backs news stories in Washington Post and New York Times. But according to some US Attorney's they are coming out and saying someone who leaked that to them could be in serious trouble, if found out who they are, as they broke the law leaking that to them.

But asking for loyalty, Trump was his boss, nothing wrong with a boss asking for loyalty.

Comey told then President-Elect Trump he was not under personal FBI Investigation.

Trump did NOT order Flynn investigation to be closed, his words were, 'I hope you can let this go, let Flynn go, he is a good guy.' The word 'hope' was used twice. Big difference between hoping for something or ordering someone to do something.

Comey has to be very careful as he could implement himself into an indictment. How can he say he thought the president was attempting to obstruct justice without incriminating himself. Him sitting on the information and not reporting a potential case of obstruction to the Senate when he is bound by the duty to report such a thing so, could see Comey in trouble himself.

Months ago, scores of Democrats wanted Comey fired, but now he has been, it's a different story. Of course scores of Democrats and liberals screaming Obstruction, impeach etc etc. But they are simply being partisan.

We should see how it plays out later today.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2017, 01:41   #1577
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

David Aaronovitch in The Times nearly sums up what Trump did.
Quote:
The embassy knew it even if Mr Trump didn’t: Mr Khan was speaking on behalf of the capital. At that moment, in the hours after the bloodshed at London Bridge, he was a symbol of civic unity in the face of terror. And by insulting him, President Trump insulted Londoners. He didn’t care.
and he concludes
Quote:
In the meantime I’ve changed my mind about the proposed state visit. Short of an apology to London’s mayor, I don’t want him strutting through my capital city any time soon. He has insulted us and it is important that, like the French and the Germans, we exhibit a sense of self-worth, a basic dignity, when dealing with this aberration. For now at least, Britons don’t want him. Perhaps after today, when James Comey, the FBI director he sacked, gives evidence about the administration’s links to Russia, Americans will begin to feel the same way.
I wonder how Trump's words will impact his visit to the UK?

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/c...dent-qx8wttqjj

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
We should see how it plays out later today.
Agreed, will be fascinating.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:47   #1578
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Given this is a discussion thread, and forum, I dont think its the end
It's the end of the discussion where people are telling me my earlier post was not being mis-represented, when it quite clearly was. As this was days ago, not sure why Stephen felt the need to bring it up again, but the issue to me is done and dusted with.

As for the topic. It's not the end of the discussion on what seems to be the real life soap opera that trounces, House of Cards....
Old 08-06-2017, 02:20   #1579
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well as its a discussion, I am perfectly entitled to post about it even if it was a day or so ago. I was not on the forum much this week so just posting my views and opinions.

Trump, not so much house of cards as the circus is in town and everyone has come to see it.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:28   #1580
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
David Aaronovitch in The Times nearly sums up what Trump did.

and he concludes
I have to say, Liberal drivel.

Trump was wrong to tweet what he did and has been said so by our own PM.

But.....Remember this is a Mayor who has said those who live in big cities should come to expect terrorism. He said this when a bomb went off in New York and while he was there.

Lots of questions why Khan sat on recommendations to put barriers up around landmarks, he should have sought funding that got that emergency infrastructure up and in place that could have prevented both the Westminster Bridge attack and this latest attack on another London Bridge. This is now in place, but it should not have taken two attacks to get it there.

I have seen this question being asked again and again in the last few days, this stemming from the last car crash interview with Diane Abbott, in which a Terror Review Report was completed by Lord Toby Harris, in which he made those barrier recommendations, after the Nice Terror Attack and this report was then commissioned by Sadiq Khan in Oct 2016.

So while he is being critical of Trump's flaws, he has his own here.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:48   #1581
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I think Surveillance/Unmasking is going to be the big story in the end.

Quote:
A former U.S. intelligence contractor tells Circa he walked away with more than 600 million classified documents on 47 hard drives from the National Security Agency and the CIA, a haul potentially larger than Edward Snowden's now infamous breach.
And now he is suing former FBI Director James Comey and other government figures, alleging the bureau has covered up evidence he provided them showing widespread spying on Americans that violated civil liberties.
Full story here:

http://circa.com/politics/accountabi...g-on-americans
Old 08-06-2017, 17:26   #1582
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Nothing new so far. It backs news stories in Washington Post and New York Times. But according to some US Attorney's they are coming out and saying someone who leaked that to them could be in serious trouble, if found out who they are, as they broke the law leaking that to them.
Given the accuracy of the NYTimes leaks it looks very likely it was Corney himself who leaked it to them. There were only two people in the room and only one person who knew that Corney would put in his statement - himself. If it was Corney it was someone close to him.

I don't see see how 'they' broke the law though. Corney's statements aren't classified.

Quote:
But asking for loyalty, Trump was his boss, nothing wrong with a boss asking for loyalty.
The FBI Director should be non-partisan and his loyalty is to his office not the President.

That said the statement seems to reveal more of Trump's ego than it shows obstruction IMO.

Quote:
Months ago, scores of Democrats wanted Comey fired, but now he has been, it's a different story. Of course scores of Democrats and liberals screaming Obstruction, impeach etc etc. But they are simply being partisan.
Of course but then so are the Republicans. If Clinton had won the election and fired Corney whilst he was still investigating the e-mails do you think that wouldn't have been a big scandal?

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Comey just admitted he leaked the contents of his notes!
Old 08-06-2017, 18:05   #1583
Mick
Cable Forum Team

I'm perplexed. Comey says at start he doesn't think he was ordered to drop Flynn investigation, the words used did not amount to an order but he believes he was ordered.

I'm surprised he was the source of the leak.
Old 08-06-2017, 18:10   #1584
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I'm perplexed. Comey says at start he doesn't think he was ordered to drop Flynn investigation, the words used did not amount to an order but he believes he was ordered.
He is saying that there wasn't a direct order but an implicit one.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

He keeps pushing the more interesting questions to the closed session.
Old 08-06-2017, 18:20   #1585
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Looks like Trumps Attorney's have told him to stay off Twitter. U.S Journalists said he may have live tweeted during the session.

The question of does he think if Hillary Clinton was President, does he think she would have fired him made me giggle and Comey said, not sure, it's possible.
Old 08-06-2017, 18:31   #1586
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Looks like Trumps Attorney's have told him to stay off Twitter. U.S Journalists said he may have live tweeted during the session.

The question of does he think if Hillary Clinton was President, does he think she would have fired him made me giggle and Comey said, not sure, it's possible.
He has been pretty critical of Clinton as well during this. Think he has measured out every word to appear calm and unbiased.
Old 08-06-2017, 20:54   #1587
RizzyKing

Surveillance of US citizens by US intelligence and security agencies is hardly any revelation at all most americans i know just assume their internet traffic is monitored and their mail scanned not a big deal at all really in terms of it coming out. Whether it's right or wrong is upto US citizens to decide and take appropriate action over and given it was going on long before trump got into office not sure it affects him one iota. Whilst it's true the head of the FBI is not supposed to be political again the position was politicised a long long time ago and i doubt Trump said more then any other president before him.

There is very clearly a campaign against Trump that seizes on the slightest thing but it isn't helped by Trump stacking the ammunition boxes for them and I'd have expected him to play this game a lot better then he has. As a businessman he was able to issue any order he saw fit and behave in a way that might have annoyed people but ultimately didn't really bother them, he seems to think that style can work in the white house and it's what's creating most of his problems.

Old 08-06-2017, 21:22   #1588
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Surveillance of US citizens by US intelligence and security agencies is hardly any revelation at all most americans i know just assume their internet traffic is monitored and their mail scanned not a big deal at all really in terms of it coming out. Whether it's right or wrong is upto US citizens to decide and take appropriate action over and given it was going on long before trump got into office not sure it affects him one iota. Whilst it's true the head of the FBI is not supposed to be political again the position was politicised a long long time ago and i doubt Trump said more then any other president before him.

There is very clearly a campaign against Trump that seizes on the slightest thing but it isn't helped by Trump stacking the ammunition boxes for them and I'd have expected him to play this game a lot better then he has. As a businessman he was able to issue any order he saw fit and behave in a way that might have annoyed people but ultimately didn't really bother them, he seems to think that style can work in the white house and it's what's creating most of his problems.
The likes of NYT and Washington Post being aggressively Anti-Trump. I agree with what one of the senators said in the hearing, all these leaks about Memos, crime scene photos of Manchester Arena and yet they couldn't leak the fact that President Trump was not under FBI investigation, it's too positive for their liberal stance, this had never been made official until today.

But don't get me started on the likes of NYT and other US media outlets, who leaked photos of the bomb fragments from Manchester Arena and the day before that, a picture of dead bodies on the floor of the foyer of Manchester Arena with blood smeared here and there. They are so wrapped up in their political stance with Trump that they completely had a ethics bypass sharing foreign intelligence during what was a active investigation.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:11   #1589
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

I came across this Tweet from the Senate Democrats and it is disturbing if true:

"Will there be a hearing on the health care proposal?" Senator @clairecmc asked today in the Finance Cmte. You should watch: #Trumpcare
Old 11-06-2017, 18:30   #1590
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Looks like Trump may be postponing his visit here due to fears of protests.
Quote:
Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming. The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time The call was made in recent weeks, according to a Downing Street adviser who was in the room. The statement surprised May, according to those present. The conversation in part explains why there has been little public discussion about a visit.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...in-put-on-hold
Closed Thread