Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Game of Thrones

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Game of Thrones

Old 18-07-2017, 17:09   #91
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Game of Thrones

yeah, I like the idea of doing it to completely immerse myself in the GoT universe but I think I would have to go shopping in advance and prepare some meals and maybe plan in a takeaway or two and go for something like 9am-11pm everyday. I think planning is going to be key.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2017, 17:20   #92
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

But it just seems like a LOTR ripoff? Or, more precisely, Eastenders in period costume.
I mean, George R R Martin/J R R Tolkien; Ned Stark/Boromir; Midget/Hobbit; Dragons/Nazgul; Armed struggle; fortresses; War of the 5 Kings/Battle of the 5 Armies.

It does have Daenerys and Lena Headey but the LOTR girls were yummy too.

I dunno, I'm undecided. Will I just be shouting ripoff at the screen for hours or is this more than a soap opera on horseback?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:11   #93
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

LOTR was just complete rubbish, while GOT is excellent.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:54   #94
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yup, it goes back to what I have said many a time before about realism. If somebody is supposed to be super evil and do really bad things then you need to see it to make it realistic. Similarly, if you know a massive army is coming to attack your castle then you want to see an epic battle. Normally you wouldn't expect such grandiose scenes in a tv series but GoT delivers every time. For anybody who has yet to see it, I can assure you it is a jaw dropping experience.
Old 18-07-2017, 20:55   #95
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yup, it goes back to what I have said many a time before about realism. If somebody is supposed to be super evil and do really bad things then you need to see it to make it realistic.
They're different I think. You can get away with unrealistic depictions of anything in a fantasy universe. In LoTR the evil is allegorical, it's evil as a force itself. Everything seems to symbolise a wider point, the orcs, the ring, the elves, the hobbits and so on. It's less about them than it is what they represent. GoTR is more human and the relationships between them, their more realistic in they lack pure evil or pure good characters. Although I don't think Kursk meant it in the same way, it is closer to a soap opera in the dynamics of the characters.

Anyway I like GoTR. I think it could have stood to lose a season, it does meander about a bit half-way though the entire show but picked up last season. You're right about the production values, it is by far it's strongest suit - might be the best ever on television for sheer scale and set-pieces.

I would recommend it to most people but depends what they like.

Last edited by Damien; 18-07-2017 at 21:08.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 20:59   #96
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
LOTR was just complete rubbish, while GOT is excellent.
Both are good IMO but each to their own l say.
Old 20-07-2017, 14:58   #97
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They're different I think. You can get away with unrealistic depictions of anything in a fantasy universe. In LoTR the evil is allegorical, it's evil as a force itself. Everything seems to symbolise a wider point, the orcs, the ring, the elves, the hobbits and so on. It's less about them than it is what they represent. GoTR is more human and the relationships between them, their more realistic in they lack pure evil or pure good characters. Although I don't think Kursk meant it in the same way, it is closer to a soap opera in the dynamics of the characters.

Anyway I like GoTR. I think it could have stood to lose a season, it does meander about a bit half-way though the entire show but picked up last season. You're right about the production values, it is by far it's strongest suit - might be the best ever on television for sheer scale and set-pieces.

I would recommend it to most people but depends what they like.
Thanks. An informative and useful post. If it's soap opera, I will fall asleep no matter how it is dressed up.
Old 20-07-2017, 15:10   #98
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Thanks. An informative and useful post. If it's soap opera, I will fall asleep no matter how it is dressed up.
I wouldn't say it's a soap opera. Just that it does take some of it's structure from soap operas. It's not fantasy Eastenders.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 21:13   #99
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its not a soap opera in the sense most people would mean it.

Its a Fantasy/Drama, set in a fictional land.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:22   #100
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Perhaps then I will give it a go. I'll do it for Daenerys
Old 21-07-2017, 08:05   #101
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Perhaps then I will give it a go. I'll do it for Daenerys
A open mind often learns.
Old 21-07-2017, 14:37   #102
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A open mind often learns.
Thank you for your pithy wisdom Young Grasshopper.
Old 13-08-2017, 18:48   #103
General Maximus
Ran Away

I couldn't resist:

Old 13-08-2017, 21:06   #104
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Soap opera's go on for years and people get killed off over Christmas. Game of Thrones is limited to 8 seasons and well loved characters are lucky to survive each and every episode

Each game of thrones episode is more like a short movie due to it's huge production values. Lots of eye candy to go along with a brilliant story and you get emotionally engaged with individuals. First tv show I have watched where my jaw actually dropped in disbelief after something happened in the first season. Was an OMG moment.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 20:16   #105
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
What’s in store for the final season of Game of Thrones? Deadline reports the HBO TV show will shoot multiple endings for season eight to avoid spoilers.

As reported earlier, the upcoming season will be the last for the hit fantasy drama.

Recently, HBO chief Casey Bloys revealed Game of Thrones will shoot different endings for the series to avoid leaks:

“You have to do that on a long show. Because when you’re shooting something, people know. So they’re going to shoot multiple versions so that there’s no definitive answer until the end.”

This decision comes months after HBO was hacked and Game of Thrones content was leaked online. Production on the eighth and final season is expected to begin in October. No premiere date has been announced yet.