Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fibreband wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Fibreband wireless router

Old 17-02-2012, 11:47   #1
suzyq
Inactive

suzyq is an unknown quantity at this point
Fibreband wireless router

Hi i just had fibrband installed and bought a n router as suggested and its fine if ethernet i get the speeds but i go wireless drops to only 20 ? are their any specific routers that work better ?
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 14:03   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Fibreband wireless router

What router is it and what wireless card do you have in your computer? Can't say if there's anything that works better if you haven't told us what you have.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 16:53   #3
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Someones is going to need a lot of information before recommending you would be better of with a new router EG..

Is the wireless card in your laptop/PC on the latest firmwear and N capable?
Where is the router positioned
Whats the speed meant to be for your connection
Have you tried changing the wireless channel
Is there a setting to increase or reduce output power of your router antenna

And on and on, But make and model of router is a good start but as its a N router it will definately be capable of pushing out more the 20,
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 16:13   #4
suzyq
Inactive

suzyq is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks this is a link to the router i bought

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-WR841N

will see if i can figure what wireless card in my laptop and desk top

thanks

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

If say my cards are not up to the speed etc would i need this ?

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-WN822N

Or a usb stick version
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:13   #5
FibreMonster
Inactive

FibreMonster can only hope to improve

SuzyG -

If you're on the fibreband network then you'll need a pretty powerful router.
My understanding is that there's no other network quite like this one in the UK.

The TPLink routers will really only throughput around 100Mbps due to the processor power.

Something like the Netgear N900 will be more suited to this type of network.

Remember, you will need a gigabit hard wired network card in your computer to see the true performance. A wireless card simply won't keep up.
FibreMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 14:48   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Unless broken, crappy, or misconfigured, wireless should easily keep up. I've seen £5 wireless routers connected to £3 wireless cards hit 160mbps.

Some TP-Link routers with low to mid-range processors can do 300mbps either wired or wireless. The average user might see less, but even this is out of the box with a standard TP-Link router on default settings:

Old 20-02-2012, 14:54   #7
FibreMonster
Inactive

I have a top of the range TP Link on my desk (TL-WR1043ND) and that won't throughput more than about 120Mbps wired.
Old 20-02-2012, 19:52   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FibreMonster View Post
I have a top of the range TP Link on my desk (TL-WR1043ND) and that won't throughput more than about 120Mbps wired.
The TL-WR1043ND is several years old and was hardly top of the range even when it was released.
Old 22-02-2012, 13:47   #9
FibreMonster
Inactive

Interesting, the national sales rep for TPlink claims that it's their best performing router.
He recommended this over the: TL-WR2543ND

Same internals I presume.
Old 22-02-2012, 15:24   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Completely different internals. Every single component on the list is different.

The TL-WR2543ND has a newer generation and faster CPU, double the RAM, newer-generation and faster wireless, and better ethernet chip, the whole device is nearly two years newer. The only thing the "same" about them is the size of the ROM flash and even then they use different flash chips. What on earth would make you think they had the same internals?!

And even TP-Link's top of the range product pales in comparison to the competition since they only make budget-orientated equipment.
Old 24-02-2012, 12:14   #11
FibreMonster
Inactive

I am Terrance from TP-LINK HQ Office.
For the WAN-LAN rate of TL-WR1043, it goes approximately 120Mbps-130Mbps due to the limited chipset capability and it is hard to improve by upgrading software. TL-WR2543ND is the same, both seems to have a limited rate for the high bandwidth environments. However, the LAN-WLAN rate shows normal.

For the high WAN-LAN rate products, our new products TL-WR1042ND ( have a 300Mbps+ WAN-LAN rate) and TL-WDR4300 (goes up to 900Mbps by enabling HWNAT), they will be released on April and May approximately.

Best Regards
------------------------------------------
Terrance Liu
Product Engineer
TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.
E-mail: terrance.liu@tp-link.com
Old 24-02-2012, 16:37   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FibreMonster View Post
I am Terrance from TP-LINK HQ Office.
For the WAN-LAN rate of TL-WR1043, it goes approximately 120Mbps-130Mbps due to the limited chipset capability and it is hard to improve by upgrading software. TL-WR2543ND is the same

Gimme three hours...
Old 25-02-2012, 04:58   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Whoops... got distracted by weekend-y stuff.

Click for full size where you can clearly see a laptop connected to a LAN port of a TL-WR2543ND and downloading at 233mbps through the WAN port. Some scrolling may be required.

Being 4am, I pretty much just yanked it off the shelf and plugged it in. With (literally) off the shelf settings and upgraded software. I couldn't really bothered tweaking the settings to get the most performance so you could probably get more.

Being a TP-Link it's only got a lowly 400Mhz CPU whereas competitors have had 680Mhz-1.2Ghz CPUs in their routers for years. Yet it's doing well over double what you claim to be the maximum. Unoptimized.
Old 28-02-2012, 11:40   #14
FibreMonster
Inactive

Well, that is interesting!

Not running the standard firmware?
Old 28-02-2012, 18:35   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Upgraded version of the standard firmware.