Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

Old 27-09-2007, 19:42   #1
dumbNTW
Inactive

dumbNTW is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

Hi,
I am having tremendous problems to connect my laptop to Virgin media boradband network. My laptop was configured to be used at the university , now i am using it at home [it is mine and the technical support can't assist me in fixing the problem]. Please forgive my ignorance in networking. The laptop seems fine. following some hints which might help you to diagonise the problem.

I have been in touch with Virgin media and they are more than sure there is no problem with their network at my home address but they can't identify my laptop fault. the laptop was configured to retrieve automatically its IP from DHCP server. i did not change anything on the settings, i just installed virgin media cd setup software

Just a note which might be relevant, in my nearby home address there seems to be a free OPEN wireless network so i was trying to get in was never be able to access it though. Despite that i was not able to get connected to the internet prior to this attempt, the situation got worse since i mess with the wireless card.

as it stands, the "ready led" keeps flashing: ON, OFF when i plug in the modem. the ip address that i am getting seems a local card ip, so i am not allocated any IP by the server! i have taken all the recommended steps by virgin: plug out the modem, wait for 30 sec, etc....to no avail

any help please

cheers
dumbNTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2007, 19:48   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Problem to connect my PC to virgin media broadband

to Cable Forum

Are you are connecting your laptop using ethernet direct to the modem, or do you have a router? If the latter what router and are you trying a wired or wireless setup? If wireless, can the laptop get a wired connection?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 19:54   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Look in your internet browser connection settings then LAN settings to make sure there is no proxy server specified which you may have been connecting through at university.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 21:42   #4
dumbNTW
Inactive

dumbNTW is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
to Cable Forum

Are you are connecting your laptop using ethernet direct to the modem, or do you have a router? If the latter what router and are you trying a wired or wireless setup? If wireless, can the laptop get a wired connection?
Many thanks for your welcome i have discovered this forum only this afternoon, seems so interesting.

to answer your question i am using a direct ethernet cable to the modem and guess what i am online from home!!! i have called them again, they log on my account to confirm at the end that everything is fine....really weird.

there is no proxy server address in my IE proxy setting
dumbNTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 01:17   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

If your laptop has both wired and wireless adaptors available try disabling the wireless adaptor. On a couple of occasions this has fixed it for me. Windows seems to get confused about which adaptor it should be using sometimes.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote