Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

watching catchup on the v6 box

Old 22-02-2018, 14:39   #1
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough
watching catchup on the v6 box

just a quick one really,
thinking of switching back to virgin as i will be moving soon and currently with sky for their fibre max broadband and t.v,
i've checked with various suppliers and would only get about 3mb at most, but.... the new property hasen't been enabled for fibre yet, half the street is, 2 doors away in fact, and just wondered if the catchup feature was streamed like on the old tivo boxes or can you download it as you can on the sky hd boxes so you can watch at your leisure and easily find it in your planner again if needed.
i need the fast broadband as i have 4 kids who suck the life out of my current pipe and wouldn't be able to manage with such slow speeds
many thanks

steve
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2018, 16:03   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: watching catchup on the v6 box

Virgin streams it's On Demand.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 16:06   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

In the case of iPlayer (and Netflix / YouTube) the connections are fast enough to allow full quality streaming without the need to download it.

For other Virgin On Demand that uses different technology that doesn't currently use the broadband service anyway.
Old 22-02-2018, 18:49   #4
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the info, thought as much may have to keep the sky tv and just get bb and phone from virgin
Old 22-02-2018, 20:26   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna View Post
thanks for the info, thought as much may have to keep the sky tv and just get bb and phone from virgin
Why not just record what you want?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 20:39   #6
bobna
cf.addict

because i may forget to set a record or not realise a show was on...... i much prefer the sky on demand
Old 22-02-2018, 20:48   #7
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Set a Tivo series link and you don't have to remember when it's on or even if a new series is starting. It will record it for you no hassle
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 20:58   #8
bobna
cf.addict

please re-read the #1 post................
Old 22-02-2018, 22:16   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

You can bookmark On Demand programmes to watch later
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:36   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
'I've re-read It, what an odd way of doing things... Series link does what you need
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:13   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why not get Virgin Media broadband?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:35   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why not get Virgin Media broadband?
I think he's saying he can't get Sky Fibre at the new property, but can get VM.

I still don't understand the concern though. Why would you want to download On Demand, when you can watch it immediately?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:44   #13
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It is streamed but you can watch it at your leisure - TiVo can also add catch-up programmes to your MyShows (planner).
Quote:
... and just wondered if the catchup feature was streamed like on the old tivo boxes or can you download it as you can on the sky hd boxes so you can watch at your leisure and easily find it in your planner again if needed.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:02   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I think he's saying he can't get Sky Fibre at the new property, but can get VM.

I still don't understand the concern though. Why would you want to download On Demand, when you can watch it immediately?
I know, but I am still confused. He implies that he can't get a better speed than 3MB, which is why I suggested that he change his broadband to VM.

As for the downloading, I do understand this, because that's what you do with Sky, and then it is shown in your recordings list. The OP doesn't seem to appreciate that VM works differently and there is no need to download it.

If he wants it to appear in 'My Shows', he just needs to bookmark it, and it will appear there.I expect he wants that outcome so that he doesn't forget about the programme if he wants to watch it later.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:33   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

With the Sky approach, does the downloaded On Demand material stay forever like a real recording or have to comply with On Demand watch windows, say 30 days?
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote