Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Services Chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Services Chat

Old 25-01-2012, 08:33   #16
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky Services Chat

I currently do not have an active phone line but wiring in to the house does exist from before. If I move my BB to Sky and then get their landline, will they just activate the old wiring or can I ask them to instal a new line and socket (in to a room which did not previously have a socket).
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2012, 11:33   #17
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I currently do not have an active phone line but wiring in to the house does exist from before. If I move my BB to Sky and then get their landline, will they just activate the old wiring or can I ask them to instal a new line and socket (in to a room which did not previously have a socket).
I think you can ask for a new line , but they charge around 39.00 I believe , you should be able to get a speed estimate off the Sky site with just your postcode.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:33   #18
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

My access line speed estimate is between 12.2 - 19mbps so shouldn't be too far off my VM speed once all factors are taken in to account.

I need the landline for my multi room anyway and Sky phone + BB is cheaper than VM plus I can get 6 months free.

Whats the deal with restricting the BB speed to 4mbps to begin with. Does this always last 10 days or do they get this sorted quicker than that?
Old 25-01-2012, 13:21   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It starts creeping up after a couple of days it's to ascertain the best speed your line can handle.
Old 25-01-2012, 13:31   #20
LexDiamond
Inactive

They allow cancellation if I get 8.8 mbps or below so win win for me.
Old 25-01-2012, 13:44   #21
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
They allow cancellation if I get 8.8 mbps or below so win win for me.
I get 9mb my estimate was 4.5-11mb . You should see over 15 I would think , a HD movie takes about 60-90 secs to be available on my 9mb so yours should be considerably quicker.
Old 25-01-2012, 19:00   #22
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I get 9mb my estimate was 4.5-11mb . You should see over 15 I would think , a HD movie takes about 60-90 secs to be available on my 9mb so yours should be considerably quicker.
Your estimate is pretty much the same as what Sky say I should get based on postcode. How far away is your exchange according to samknows?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 19:31   #23
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Your estimate is pretty much the same as what Sky say I should get based on postcode. How far away is your exchange according to samknows?
It says 2.36km

According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
6Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

Standard ADSL RAG results

Lex says that Sky give you a guaranteed speed allowing you to cancel if your nowhere near it.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:05   #24
LexDiamond
Inactive

Yeah on the Sky website postcode checker it gives a range of speeds you can receive and then states a minimum speed for your address that they think Sky BB will give. The page states that if after 10 days you don't have at least the minimum stated speed you can cancel the contract any time in the first three months.

With 6 months free anyway its worth a punt.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:12   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yeah on the Sky website postcode checker it gives a range of speeds you can receive and then states a minimum speed for your address that they think Sky BB will give. The page states that if after 10 days you don't have at least the minimum stated speed you can cancel the contract any time in the first three months.

I've had mine in a good few months now and it's been excellent granted 9mb isnt the quickest but it copes perfectly well with Netflix in HD , iplayer HD , Anytime+ and for an unlimited service 7.50 is great and free for 6 months is even better.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:48   #26
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I'm reading that as if your actual speed is significantly below the estimate you can cancel within the first 3 months. 3.9mb is mentioned as a benchmark.

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 21:07   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm reading that as if your actual speed is significantly below the estimate you can cancel within the first 3 months. 3.9mb is mentioned as a benchmark.

That's exactly how I read it.
Old 26-01-2012, 01:21   #28
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
The line is installed by Openreach so they will NOT fit a new socket if one is already there. They will simply reactivate the existing socket.
If there is a wire but no socket they will just fit a new socket where the old one was.

If you want the socket re-located then Sky cannot help. or more precisely you will need to escalate to tier2 and YOU will need to pay the install costs £150+

Quote:

You need to ask what the minimum speed is.

They do not have to tell you if you do not ask.

If they fail to provide this minimum speed then you need to go to technical then get the problem escalated.
Only tier2 technical can exempt you from the contract and they have to put a specific note on your account.
No note then you cannot cancel.

So not quite as simple as it would seem.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 07:01   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Go update available in app store for ios devices.

The update now adds access to Sky Atlantic via Sky Go.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:42   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Broadcaster BSkyB announces internet TV service

Quote:
Broadcaster BSkyB started the fightback against competition Netflix and YouView today as it announced a new internet TV service.

Launching in the first half of this year, the service will be aimed at the 13 million households who do not subscribe to pay-TV.

It will initially allow customers to pay to download films without a contract or a satellite dish but will expand its offer to include sport and entertainment soon afterwards.

Sky's TV sales will face growing competition with the launch in the summer of YouView, an internet-connected set-top box involving the BBC, ITV and BT.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-6297348.html

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Sky Go expansion plans

Quote:
Just five months after its launch, 2.5 million customers have used our Sky Go service to access a range of movies, sports and entertainment channels through PCs, laptops, X-boxes, smartphones and tablets. In November, we expanded the range of content available on the Sky Go mobile application with the launch of a constantly updating library of 600 on demand movie titles from all the major studios. As a result, Sky Go reached a new high of 1.5 million monthly unique users in December. Looking ahead, we will launch Sky Go on the Android platform in February, representing a base of five million devices in the UK. We also plan to expand the channel line-up on our Sky Go mobile service, starting with the addition of Sky Atlantic, closely followed by Sky 1, Sky Living and Sky Sports F1.
http://corporate.sky.com/documents/p...ase_1112_final