Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bloody "Sky" Engineers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Bloody "Sky" Engineers

Old 17-10-2008, 11:10   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Bloody "Sky" Engineers

Hi,

We've just had Sky out to our Sky+ box again for the 2nd time in a week...

The Sky "engineer" (contractor who works for CustomTV) and moved the alignment of our dish and now we can only get London channels where we should have Meridian etc...

He's now buggered of because my other half threw him out becuase he claimed he could not fix it, even though it was working with the correct channels 10 mins before.

Is this an alignment issue or is it just a case of putting the correct channels back into the correct channel numbers - i.e. 1 BBC South, 3 ITV Meridian etc.

Cheers

Lee
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2008, 11:21   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Bloody "Sky" Engineers

Nothing to do with alignment
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:23   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The localization is screwed up in your STB settings. This is nothing to do with the alignment of the dish. Sadly I haven't a scooby how to localize your ITV/BBC region in a Sky box. It's got to be either in the engineer menu, or possibly Sky do it by hitting your card ... I'd have a snoop around the engineer menu and see what you can find.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:23   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I think the local channels is set within the box, probably by an engineers menu or via your subscription...

[edit] LOL, Chris beat me to it [edit]
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:25   #5
LSainsbury

Yep - you are all correct - she's already been on the phone to Sky and it's the localization settings - we have to wait 2 mins > 4hrs for the update to come through.

So why didn't the Muppet "Sky Engineer" do this for us?? Idiots....
Old 30-11-2008, 13:13   #6
MoodySuzie
Inactive

Services: BT, BT Vision, BT Broadband
MoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about them

tried to get sky several times, but they say due to health and safety they will not go up so far, had my trees cut down now, but still waiting for a refund from them for the installation 3 months on, really ****ed me off, cant get cable here either, just have freeview box though it aint bad would like abit more choice
MoodySuzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 13:12   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodySuzie View Post
tried to get sky several times, but they say due to health and safety they will not go up so far, had my trees cut down now, but still waiting for a refund from them for the installation 3 months on, really ****ed me off, cant get cable here either, just have freeview box though it aint bad would like abit more choice
I had the same problem Suzie - elf'n'safety means Sky have to send an 'at height' install team (two man instead of solo) if your dish needs to go more than abut 6 ft off the ground. Our dish had to go on the chimney because it's the only part of the house that's brick. The rest is wood and not ideal for bolting a dish into.

They cancelled the install on me three times as well. And because they have so few at-height teams, getting another install date can be frustrating. However after the third time, I insisted on talking to someone senior at the Sky callcentre and he advised me to cancel my order, that I had placed directly with Sky, and instead order it through an independent, sky-approved installer. Independent installers are not obliged to follow Sky's policy on at-height installs. I found a local company and ordered Sky through them, and had the installer out and job done in under a fortnight.

Not that I'd recommend Sky to anyone though; we cancelled it after a couple of years and now just use the dish to get free satellite channels. We watched far too little of the subscription channels for it to be worthwhile. If you want digital TV and you're worried about Freeview reception, then have a look at Freesat. Again, to avoid fussy installers I'd steer clear of the main retailers and find a local, independent satellite installer. This website will tell you who the Freesat-approved installers are in your area:

http://myiss.co.uk/eurosat/listing.php
Old 01-12-2008, 13:51   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

How much was the at-height install?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 14:30   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It's only Sky that considered it 'at height'. To the local company that came out to us it was just another job.

I can't exactly remember what the deal was now - it was 4 years ago. However Sky themselves were doing free install, free dish and free box at the time, and I don't remember the company we went with being very different. I think it was all free provided we took Sky's top package for 3 months.
Old 01-12-2008, 15:57   #10
MoodySuzie
Inactive

MoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks for that Chris, got a number straight away
Old 01-12-2008, 16:03   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Remember, that site catalogues Freesat-approved installers. They are not all necessarily Sky installers as well. You will need to check with the company what they are able to supply you with if you're dead set on having Sky's subscription-based service.

Although as I said, personally I wouldn't bother with Sky, just go and get a Freesat installation and never worry about paying for channels you won't watch anyway.
Old 01-12-2008, 17:43   #12
MoodySuzie
Inactive

Mainly for my lad, as least then he can have it in his room, already got some quotes £49 for Sky+ no installation fee another one wanted £160.
Old 02-12-2008, 13:45   #13
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Hi,

We've just had Sky out to our Sky+ box again for the 2nd time in a week...

The Sky "engineer" (contractor who works for CustomTV) and moved the alignment of our dish and now we can only get London channels where we should have Meridian etc...

He's now buggered of because my other half threw him out becuase he claimed he could not fix it, even though it was working with the correct channels 10 mins before.

Is this an alignment issue or is it just a case of putting the correct channels back into the correct channel numbers - i.e. 1 BBC South, 3 ITV Meridian etc.

Cheers

Lee
You dont get all this hassle with Virgin Media, perhaps you might find them better? If your with Sky for the Sky channels, then they are now available on Virgin Media, alternatively, Tiscali TV maybe available in your area, BT line needed for Tiscali and BT Vision.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 14:54   #14
MoodySuzie
Inactive

Wouldnt get Bt Vision as it takes some of your bandwith for it so it gives you less for your internet.
Old 02-12-2008, 19:56   #15
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
You dont get all this hassle with Virgin Media, perhaps you might find them better?
After reading some of the threads on here? They are all as bad as each other.

And I would need to be in a VM cabled area to get VM services.

Quote:
If your with Sky for the Sky channels, then they are now available on Virgin Media...
Only just returned though...

Quote:
...alternatively, Tiscali TV maybe available in your area, BT line needed for Tiscali and BT Vision.
Tiscalli? I'd rather chop of my left ear before I'd return to some of their "services...

I suggest you go lookup my thread regarding my Tiscali "experience"...

IPTV consumes lots of bandwidth and is still not a viable option until the ISPs in the UK remove their stupid limits - which won't happen any time soon.