Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Old 20-05-2008, 14:04   #46
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by info4u View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7384928.stm

Free satalite TV due to launch to improve the service of Freeview with 80 channels to start and expected to change to 200 by the end of the year

Virgin Media and Sky might find this difficult to compete with, specially since stb and installation looking at about £45.00 or £120.00 for HD STB
interesting !! but i think i will wait and see the results and comments.
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2008, 14:11   #47
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetypie/8 View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7384928.stm

Free satalite TV due to launch to improve the service of Freeview with 80 channels to start and expected to change to 200 by the end of the year

Virgin Media and Sky might find this difficult to compete with, specially since stb and installation looking at about £45.00 or £120.00 for HD STB
installation is £80 on top of that so your wrong there.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 18:32   #48
bonehead
Inactive

bonehead is an unknown quantity at this point

just read the above posts i wasnt aware that freesat had started yet,well done to them
my question is could i use my sky dish and lnb with freesat box been looking at humax box
cheers
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 18:42   #49
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

yes you can use your sky dish - saves you an £80 installation charge!
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 19:20   #50
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
just read the above posts i wasnt aware that freesat had started yet,well done to them
my question is could i use my sky dish and lnb with freesat box been looking at humax box
cheers
? have you still got your Sky receiver ?
Old 21-05-2008, 20:41   #51
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
cheers
Yes, you can.

Ditch your Sky box if you still have it - you might be able to flog it on eBay. Then wait a couple of months until the HD Freesat boxes with ethernet connectivity start to appear. These boxes have a higher spec than the Sky ones and will future-proof your TV viewing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 01:11   #52
Losttheplot

Anyone watch ITV HD tonight? It was only available on receivers where you can specify what PIDs to use. 10Mb/s Sport and HD don't really go together well, picture wasn't the best. It was also upconverted.
ITV HD seem also to have switched to 3/4 resolution (1440 rather than 1920).
Old 22-05-2008, 10:21   #53
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
Anyone watch ITV HD tonight? It was only available on receivers where you can specify what PIDs to use. 10Mb/s Sport and HD don't really go together well, picture wasn't the best. It was also upconverted.
ITV HD seem also to have switched to 3/4 resolution (1440 rather than 1920).
They are still pre-launch, which means you're viewing test transmissions - I doubt what you're seeing now will bear much resemblance to the final product.

In any case, ITV is planning to offer its HD content as a red-button option when the SD equivalent is broadcast on ITV1, rather than on a separate channel number, so when it comes to it you won't need to worry about tuning your receiver.
Old 22-05-2008, 14:50   #54
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
They are still pre-launch, which means you're viewing test transmissions - I doubt what you're seeing now will bear much resemblance to the final product.

In any case, ITV is planning to offer its HD content as a red-button option when the SD equivalent is broadcast on ITV1, rather than on a separate channel number, so when it comes to it you won't need to worry about tuning your receiver.
I beg to differ, unless they manage to get some extra bitrate allocated to ITV HD then theres not a lot extra they can do to improve the picture quality especially for Sport.
I won't be buying a Freesat box.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:
Yes, you can.

Ditch your Sky box if you still have it - you might be able to flog it on eBay. Then wait a couple of months until the HD Freesat boxes with ethernet connectivity start to appear. These boxes have a higher spec than the Sky ones and will future-proof your TV viewing.
Sorry Chris, but what will this ethernet port on the box offer the consumer?
Old 22-05-2008, 15:14   #55
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Does this require a Twin LNB & 2x Cables from Dish to PVR? My old Sky Box has 1 Cable (but dish has 4x LNB as I have "Sky FreeSAT" in 2 Rooms in the house)
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 15:50   #56
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

it requires either a dual or quad lnb & two cables for any PVR whether its a Sky + receiver or not. also i already answered your question in this post before, why ppl dont search before they post i'l never know
Old 22-05-2008, 16:07   #57
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Does this require a Twin LNB & 2x Cables from Dish to PVR? My old Sky Box has 1 Cable (but dish has 4x LNB as I have "Sky FreeSAT" in 2 Rooms in the house)
The way satellite TV in the home works is that every individual receiver requires its own LNB at the dish. A PVR has 2 or 3 receivers built in, so requires 2 or 3 receivers. AFAIK you can't buy tri-LNBs, which is why for a three-receiver box like Sky Plus (which lets you watch one channel and record two more) you need a quad-LNB.
Old 22-05-2008, 17:35   #58
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
it requires either a dual or quad lnb & two cables for any PVR whether its a Sky + receiver or not. also i already answered your question in this post before, why ppl dont search before they post i'l never know
Yawn... Pot Calling AGAIN? Why have Ethernet Port, the Answer posted for Sky & obvious its same fore FreeSAT & yet you harp on & on about Chris T. Practise what you Preach lol

Anyway, anyone OTHER than the-cable-guy. How would one connect an extra cable (to make it 2x core cable to dish)? Dont want to move dish lol.
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 17:48   #59
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

simple then you connect another two runs of cable to your PVR/Sky + receiver. whether you want to take my advice or not is upto you & if you dont believe me there are many guides on the internet, which back what iv said up. btw you dont have to move your dish at all.
Old 22-05-2008, 17:51   #60
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
Yawn... Pot Calling AGAIN? Why have Ethernet Port, the Answer posted for Sky & obvious its same fore FreeSAT & yet you harp on & on about Chris T. Practise what you Preach lol

Anyway, anyone OTHER than the-cable-guy. How would one connect an extra cable (to make it 2x core cable to dish)? Dont want to move dish lol.
If you have a mono-LNB on your dish, and you want to install a quad-LNB, then I'm afraid you have to get a ladder out and get up to the dish, where you then remove the old LNB, install the new one, and then run four new lengths of coax down to where you need them. I think you can buy lengths of coax that are already paired so you have less individual lengths of cable to juggle.

Having said that, I'd never recommend working at height unless you're really competent and comfortable up a long ladder - find someone to do it for you and pay them if you have to!