Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Budget

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Budget

Old 10-03-2017, 18:34   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Let see, shall we?

No one knows, including the EU, what will happen in the Brexit negotiations.

A lot of pessimism around, but how about a bit of optimism instead?

Unless there's dire hard EU loving fanatics here, which I don't think there are, leaving the EU was the right decision. Even a okay-ish deal will put us in a better position long term than the EU. (and yes I do expect there to be some pain soon, but it will pass.)
Yep, as we know, there's no gain without pain and there's plenty of the latter ahead for the EU regardless of Brexit.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well it will affect my daughter..she had to give up a 9-5 job due to debilitating migraine attacks.She has taken up working from home as a writers assistant and so had to go self employed so she could earn around around the attacks..So not all self employed are selfish **** avoiding paying their way...
Correct. It's odd how some people will deride negative stereotyping but don't mind indulging in it when it suits.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2017, 19:34   #32
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

To be self employed one has to register as self employed and that will mean they will fill out tax returns .No one can simply say "i am self employed" and decide not to pay tax or nics.Also i would point out that self employed people have always had access to the state pension and other contribution based benefits via class 2 nics ,which although voluntary are paid on top of compulsory Nics (class 4)
Old 10-03-2017, 22:59   #33
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
However they do get 'cash in hand'.
What decade are you living in?

Cash maybe king. But as a day to day transaction facility it's on life support.

Self employed tradesmen now need to have cardpay facilities, and many apps as well as Paypal are used.

Cash in hand is a thing of the past.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Smokers got hammered again, and this time by a variation in the way tobacco is taxed... now by "minimum price". It'll be alcohol next.

All the usual sites said "no increases for alcohol" but those taxes are indexed so happen anyway, they don't need to be announced in the budget.
Cigarettes should be £10 for 20, hell no make it £20 , a £1 a cig.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:
I think it might be a vote loser..
Possibly but it impacts a very small section of the electorate.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Quote:
Well it will affect my daughter..she had to give up a 9-5 job due to debilitating migraine attacks.She has taken up working from home as a writers assistant and so had to go self employed so she could earn around around the attacks..So not all self employed are selfish **** avoiding paying their way...
And will this impact her?

Does she earn more than £16,000 a year? ( I think that's the correct figure) if not this won't impact her, she may even be better off.

As ever there's loads detail,behind the headlines
Old 10-03-2017, 23:28   #34
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's all about making the tax system fairer. Listen to Phil and Mother Theresa, they don't tell lies
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:48   #35
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's all about making the tax system fairer. Listen to Phil and Mother Theresa, they don't tell lies
You should be in marketing or politics - empty sound bites, no factual back up....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:55   #36
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You should be in marketing or politics - empty sound bites, no factual back up....
I think Mr K is joking.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:57   #37
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quote:
The IFS said the chancellor's 2% increase in NICs for the self employed closed a small fraction of the gap between employees and the self employed.
Quote:
The government says this was traditionally down to a lesser entitlement to benefits and pensions, but that these disparities have mostly been removed, so the difference in rates is unfair
Quote:
In April 2016, self-employed people were given rights to the state earnings-related pension scheme, which offers an extra £1,890 annually to those who have made 35 years of contributions – providing a boost of £37,500 over a 20-year retirement.
However, the combined changes in NIC contributions announced in the spring budget will cost a self-employed person just £193 each year, equating to £7,720 over a 40-year working life.
£193/year with a return of £1,890/year. How is that not a good deal?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:59   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I was being ironic, as was Mr K....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:17   #39
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

To clarify my earlier comments a bit more, I dont support targeting a part of the population that is perhaps considered the easiest to hit, I expect they thought by targeting self employed it would not generate much bad publicity. But more that I support tax rises in general.

Certainly I think the UK population somehow needs reeducating that tax rises need to happen, because of all the tax cuts in the past decade or so, everyone seems to have got used to an idea that we can just have everlasting tax cuts which is clearly not sustainable unless you are david cameron who thinks we can make it work by just dismantling the public sector.

The party policy at election time to promise no rise in income tax, NI and VAT was just irresponsible.

May seems to have her hands tied by promises of the previous leader, she could untie the hands by winning an election without that manifesto but of course winning the election is not a certainty even with labour been as unpopular as they are now strange things can happen.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 12:51   #40
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

NI increases scrapped.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39278968
Old 15-03-2017, 13:07   #41
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good grief that is a fairly quick U-Turn Andrew.
Old 15-03-2017, 13:38   #42
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I like how in PMQ's idiotic Jeremy Corbyn, claims the government is in chaos over the U-Turn. So laughable from him, but I liked TM's reply that if she wants to take lectures on 'Chaos', she will approach him and his party.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 14:00   #43
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Good grief that is a fairly quick U-Turn Andrew.
The whole thing's a farce but to its credit, the Government has moved swiftly. After Osborne's omnishambles budget, the Government took two months to drop the higher taxes on static caravans and pasties.
Old 15-03-2017, 14:07   #44
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I like how in PMQ's idiotic Jeremy Corbyn, claims the government is in chaos over the U-Turn. So laughable from him, but I liked TM's reply that if she wants to take lectures on 'Chaos', she will approach him and his party.
Corbyn - Pot kettle black... lol

He couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. He's utterly inept and deeply uninspiring.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 14:26   #45
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Corbyn - Pot kettle black... lol

He couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. He's utterly inept and deeply uninspiring.
Gawd, ol' Jeremy blew a big chance to embarrass the Government. He's just not quick-witted enough
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote