Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old 'Tivo' boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Old 'Tivo' boxes?

Old 03-03-2017, 16:30   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Old 'Tivo' boxes?

A while ago when we upgraded to new Tivo boxes VM asked me to return one of the old STB's and dispose of the other one. I think at the time that one was Samsung and the older one an SA box.

I have just seen an advert in our local evening newspaper offering cash for Sky digi boxes and Virgin Media Tivo boxes.

Surely the Tivos have not yet become obsolete have they?

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2017, 17:00   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Old 'Tivo' boxes?

Virgin still do ask for TiVo boxes back at present.

Wonder why they want to pay for them though. They can't be used by anyone once they're disconnected - unlike Sky boxes that can be reused with a new viewing card.
Old 03-03-2017, 17:15   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

I suppose there are 'unofficial' ways.

Still see a few TiVo boxes for sale on Flea bay as well.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 17:16   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is no way of getting a TiVo box to work on Virgin TV without a valid subscription. The 'unofficial' ways stopped when Virgin Media moved to cardless authentication for TiVo.

And with the eBay TiVo boxes, unless they are selling them as non-working boxes, it's fraud.
Old 03-03-2017, 20:21   #5
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Interesting how many legacy boxes are still active V+ or SD and HD STB none PVR boxes out there?
Old 03-03-2017, 20:23   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I suppose there are 'unofficial' ways.

Still see a few TiVo boxes for sale on Flea bay as well.
How much do they tend to go for out of interest?

I can't see what use they would be though, even the FTA channels are obscured by TiVo branding if there isn't an active subscription in place.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 21:13   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There is no way of getting a TiVo box to work on Virgin TV without a valid subscription. The 'unofficial' ways stopped when Virgin Media moved to cardless authentication for TiVo.

And with the eBay TiVo boxes, unless they are selling them as non-working boxes, it's fraud.

They could always be used as a door stop. :-)
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:08   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
How much do they tend to go for out of interest?

I can't see what use they would be though, even the FTA channels are obscured by TiVo branding if there isn't an active subscription in place.
I agree with you, Richard. I think those who buy these boxes get a bit of a shock when they try to use them.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:34   #9
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Maybe there is a way to flash them and use them for 'something else'?
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:57   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Maybe there is a way to flash them and use them for 'something else'?
Don't see what they could be used for. The frequency band the boxes operate at is only used for DAB radio & other private comms operations. The only thing they would be useable on would be another cable TV system. To get them to operate on other TV platforms would require a lot of the electronics inside to be changed.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:29   #11
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
A while ago when we upgraded to new Tivo boxes VM asked me to return one of the old STB's and dispose of the other one. I think at the time that one was Samsung and the older one an SA box.

I have just seen an advert in our local evening newspaper offering cash for Sky digi boxes and Virgin Media Tivo boxes.

Surely the Tivos have not yet become obsolete have they?

Jim.
The "Old" Tivo boxes remain the property of Virginmedia and anybody offering to sell them is breaking the law and as others have said they are of no use whatsoever outside of the Virginmedia network.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:47   #12
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
Interesting how many legacy boxes are still active V+ or SD and HD STB none PVR boxes out there?
Definitely some, I know people who still have the old SD Samsung box and the blue ambit modem for broadband, the only way they'll probably ever upgrade is when forced due to either equipment failure or Virgin dropping support for it.

Likewise they only went from analogue cable to digital when analogue got switched off in there area

Some people are technophobes and if it's working don't want to change it.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote