Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 11-05-2016, 22:00   #46
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So will this mean that we will not have the need for a TiVo? will we just be issued with a smaller device to access "the cloud"?
You can pay extra for a smaller device connected to the cloud that will offer several advantages over the current set-top boxes one of them presumably being speed. In the UK it will have Tivo software on it and in Europe, Horizon software.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2016, 22:02   #47
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
So will this mean that we will not have the need for a TiVo? will we just be issued with a smaller device to access "the cloud"?
I guess so. If content is in the cloud, I guess an Amazon Fire TV type box would do the job?

There are good and aspects of cloud versus hard disc PVR/streaming service boxes IMHO. It all depends on the rules that are set around the cloud content (e.g. length of time available).
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 22:59   #48
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
We all knew that the cloud was the next significant step; trying to figure out exactly when VM would make that step was the difficult bit.

I guess based on what we've gleaned (kudos to Horizon on that front), it appears that the cloud is 'Coming Sooner' than many people thought.
VM or rather NTl: were supposed to be offering cloud based TV recording years and years ago. I remember reading about it (it was coming soon) I think it's when TW announced the TVDrive, NTl: wanted to join in. Each subscriber, it was proposed, would get so much free cloud space to record shows and access them wherever they wanted.

I would guess that this idea was scuppered by the content producers rather than NTl: not bothering.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:21   #49
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Perhaps, or perhaps not. I'm wavering on this. This is what I said on the DS forums:

I guess it could go a few different ways in regards to new hardware:

1. A full blown SkyQ type 4k, recorder box with large hard drive costing a lot of dosh to customers, (perhaps not VM). I think this is the least likely option.

2. As above, but like Sky, VM offer mini boxes for other rooms. So perhaps you pay for the "big box" and VM throw in the mini boxes.

3. No recordable box at all. All recording done in the cloud. VM offer mini boxes as an interface between the Superhub 3 and your tvs.

4. No boxes at all. VM release a Fire TVish USB stick instead.

What is clear from the webcast is that the cloud will be central to the new 4k service. How central is yet to be determined.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote:
I guess so. If content is in the cloud, I guess an Amazon Fire TV type box would do the job?

There are good and aspects of cloud versus hard disc PVR/streaming service boxes IMHO. It all depends on the rules that are set around the cloud content (e.g. length of time available).
I am eagerly awaiting to see how VM got round the copyright issues of holding recordings in the cloud too, unless of course they're not really recordings...

When we all last spoke about copyright and cloud related issues, I suggested back then that what VM might do is pull a sneaky and not really offer PVR cloud recording options at all. Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.

But that's my suspicious mind at work, I'm sure VM would not be dishonest.
Old 12-05-2016, 00:18   #50
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I've never seen such excitement on this forum since the will-it, won't-it run up to the launch of BT Sport on VM. Happy days again.
Old 12-05-2016, 00:36   #51
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've never seen such excitement on this forum since the will-it, won't-it run up to the launch of BT Sport on VM. Happy days again.

Don't think i'd call it excitement tbh, just curiosity for me.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 00:58   #52
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
As far as cable goes, there's been nothing to talk about until now.

So, we have new services coming, network upgrades and other things to get our speculative teeth into. Now if it all works well, then yes, good days indeed.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:04   #53
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

I am eagerly awaiting to see how VM got round the copyright issues of holding recordings in the cloud too, unless of course they're not really recordings...
I find it interesting that all but a couple of channels are now available via MRS. I'm not sure whether that has been a linearly progressive increase or a whole bunch of them being added recently. That had to happen for cloud and multiscreen viewing to be available on any forthcoming box.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:52   #54
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
All this lovely speculation.....
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33   #55
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

To be fair what's happening in the UK pretty much follows development in the United States.

As an example Comcast a large US cable co is already providing Cloud DVR functionality as opposed to its satellite competitors Dish and DirecTV who use similar multiroom installations to that of Sky Q.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59   #56
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
To be fair what's happening in the UK pretty much follows development in the United States.

As an example Comcast a large US cable co is already providing Cloud DVR functionality as opposed to its satellite competitors Dish and DirecTV who use similar multiroom installations to that of Sky Q.
Interesting, just had a peek. Comcast X1 looks good. Interestingly, it offers 500Gb of storage so less capacity than Sky Q's 2Tb. (Not that this has a bearing on how much storage LGI will provide but an interesting benchmark.)
http://www.xfinity.com/x1a
Old 12-05-2016, 11:09   #57
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

If you look at Dish Network they beat Sky Q with a 16 tuner system.

Interestingly someone posted over a year ago or so that they'd completed a survey from Sky which mentioned extra storage up and above the local HDD.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:47   #58
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.
Not sure how that would work, especially as iPlayer programmes are removed after just four weeks. I wouldn't be happy only having a month's worth of BBC series - that would be a step back for me.
I'm reviewing my TV deal when my contract's up in February. Unless Virgin really deliver something special I'll be giving serious consideration to a Freeview recorder alongside NowTV (retaining my VM broadband). The current Horizon and TiVo boxes don't justify the high monthly bills I'm seeing.
nialli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:54   #59
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Interesting, just had a peek. Comcast X1 looks good. Interestingly, it offers 500Gb of storage so less capacity than Sky Q's 2Tb. (Not that this has a bearing on how much storage LGI will provide but an interesting benchmark.)
http://www.xfinity.com/x1a

I liked the last bit on the video with the lucky guy sitting in his pool.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 15:01   #60
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Not sure how that would work, especially as iPlayer programmes are removed after just four weeks. I wouldn't be happy only having a month's worth of BBC series - that would be a step back for me.
I'm reviewing my TV deal when my contract's up in February. Unless Virgin really deliver something special I'll be giving serious consideration to a Freeview recorder alongside NowTV (retaining my VM broadband). The current Horizon and TiVo boxes don't justify the high monthly bills I'm seeing.
It will be interesting in how VM package the new set-top box. Obviously, they would like to charge more for it but if it is constrained by copyright issues then these could outweigh any benefits in picture quality and speed for some people. And I wonder if the size could work in reverse - eg why does VM expect me to pay £5pm for a box no larger than my mobile phone? Even if the box offers speed and capacity advantages over its current offering.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:
I liked the last bit on the video with the lucky guy sitting in his pool.....
Yes, but wonder how long that tablet will last before going overboard!