Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)
Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2017, 17:07   #46
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It looks like Sky are going to lose these channels.

The following preparations have been made:

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".
Good on SKY i say if discovery had only done this stunt here i might of believed Discovery however given that they've pulled the same crap in sweden. germany, romania,norway and usa let's see how dicovery do without their claimed 6 million a week viewers.
I hope BT do exactly the same if Discovery try this crap with them because they will i feel.
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2017, 17:37   #47
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
It looks like Sky are going to lose these channels.

The following preparations have been made:

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".
well my epg still showing all discovery programs right through to next monday and the caption on my screen still says "may" lose the channels ,so nothing definite yet

Old 30-01-2017, 17:40   #48
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
well my epg still showing all discovery programs right through to next monday and the caption on my screen still says "may" lose the channels ,so nothing definite yet
Well Marty best to check early on Wednesday as if it has gone off there will be the same message on all of Discovery's channels.
Old 30-01-2017, 17:54   #49
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I suspect that customer facing information will continue to say this until the deadline.
Old 30-01-2017, 19:41   #50
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Only just occured to me if Discovery do pull channels of sky the DMAX will be a vm exclusive channel.
Old 30-01-2017, 19:48   #51
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Only just occured to me if Discovery do pull channels of sky the DMAX will be a vm exclusive channel.
That will please some on here.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:06   #52
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That will please some on here.
tbh I don't think I'd notice if they'd gone. Less channels to flick through before deciding to go to sleep I suppose.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:11   #53
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I am nt technically minded. But.

Where do VM get there signals from. Say Sky have there Dishes pointing skywards.

So where is the main Sat station for VM. And do VM dishes point directly to Astra. As l was under the impression that VM signal cam via Sky dishes. That why VM were always fighting with Sky over channels.

Or do VM have talks with various companies ie Discovery to sort out deals.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:26   #54
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

Where do VM get there signals from. Say Sky have there Dishes pointing skywards.

So where is the main Sat station for VM. And do VM dishes point directly to Astra. As l was under the impression that VM signal cam via Sky dishes. That why VM were always fighting with Sky over channels.

VM use seperate sattelites and negotiate their own deals.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:47   #55
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

Some of us remember when cable first started & Discovery was recieved by the cable companies from Intelsat 27.5W. Eurosport was taken from Eutelsat Hotbird at 13E. There are still lower power distribution satellites up there, & it would actually be cheaper for broadcasters to uplink to these than general broadcast satellites like Astra. If you doubt VM's ability to still use them, take a look at post 7 of this thread.

VM only deal with Sky for the channels they own.

Last edited by nodrogd; 30-01-2017 at 21:50.
Old 30-01-2017, 22:58   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

AIUI all of the Discovery channel feeds are now via fibre.

If no deal is reached, this is what Sky plan to show from 1/2/17:

https://s27.postimg.org/4kokftw5v/Sk....png?noredir=1

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Some of us remember when cable first started & Discovery was recieved by the cable companies from Intelsat 27.5W. Eurosport was taken from Eutelsat Hotbird at 13E. There are still lower power distribution satellites up there, & it would actually be cheaper for broadcasters to uplink to these than general broadcast satellites like Astra. If you doubt VM's ability to still use them, take a look at post 7 of this thread.

VM only deal with Sky for the channels they own.
Wasn't Discovery formerly owned by United Artists and then Telewest??

I remember when they started on Astra analogue in 1993 and the Discovery Channel was only on from 4pm to midnight along with Bravo.

Later on they used the capacity to show TLC from 9am until 4pm.

This TLC was educational and eventually closed down and was nothing like the TLC that is on VM today!
Old 31-01-2017, 00:47   #57
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
AIUI all of the Discovery channel feeds are now via fibre.

If no deal is reached, this is what Sky plan to show from 1/2/17:

https://s27.postimg.org/4kokftw5v/Sk....png?noredir=1

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Wasn't Discovery formerly owned by United Artists and then Telewest??

I remember when they started on Astra analogue in 1993 and the Discovery Channel was only on from 4pm to midnight along with Bravo.

Later on they used the capacity to show TLC from 9am until 4pm.

This TLC was educational and eventually closed down and was nothing like the TLC that is on VM today!
If i was SKY i'd take Discoverys EPG slots from them too why should they keep them for if they ain't agreed anything.
Nat geo channels imo are leaps and bounds ahead of Discovery for quality content these days.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:55   #58
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
If i was SKY i'd take Discoverys EPG slots from them too why should they keep them for if they ain't agreed anything.
Nat geo channels imo are leaps and bounds ahead of Discovery for quality content these days.
It's not clear who actually owns the Discovery EPG slots. It's generally accepted that Discovery own them apart from TLC which either of them may own.

Apparently, TLC resides in a slot that was previously recycled from a former Sky channel.

They will have to find a way of keeping their valuable SD EPG slots alive that conform to Sky rules; it's suspected that they may show temporary programming at various times of the day.

If not, Sky have created a generic 'channel' showing the slate that I posted earlier that they can point the various Discovery EPG slots to.
Old 31-01-2017, 13:06   #59
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Peace talks fuel hopes Discovery will keep channels on Sky ahead of midnight showdown.

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...jLHHy4tSxSX.99
Old 31-01-2017, 14:18   #60
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Peace talks fuel hopes Discovery will keep channels on Sky ahead of midnight showdown.

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...jLHHy4tSxSX.99
Tiny bit of wrong info there the #keepdiscovery wasn't started to encourage sky and discovery to keep the peace it was infact set up by Discovery to wrongly encourage sky customers to bombard skys customer service with calls.
Discovery are very lucky SKY still wish to hold talks and vice versa too.
Closed Thread