Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Headends.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Headends.

Old 25-11-2010, 23:17   #46
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Headends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.b View Post
Edinburgh headend...
I wish I saw this thread earlier. I've just been there, I walked from Edinburgh Park railway station up Lochside Ct then across Redheughs Avenue stopping at Redheughs Rigg. I could have took a slight detour and not lost too much time. I could have 'spotted' it.

Maybe that's for the hardcore VM fan - see who can be the first to 'spot' all the headends

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Can anyone tell me what this building is used for? Street View

Some static shots: Link Link Link

It's Cable Plaza, Brierley Hill - it was a Telewest building until the merger.

My father tells me there were some huge satellite dishes nearby when he was in the area a couple of years ago but I can't seem to find the ones he described.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2010, 00:16   #47
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post

Can anyone tell me what this building is used for? Street View

Some static shots: Link Link Link

It's Cable Plaza, Brierley Hill - it was a Telewest building until the merger.

My father tells me there were some huge satellite dishes nearby when he was in the area a couple of years ago but I can't seem to find the ones he described.
I thnk Cable Plaza was a call centre before closing down after the ntl/Telewest merge.

The dishes, I think, are still there and can be seen from Sainsbury's car park. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...00857&t=h&z=20

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,155.59,,0,2.9
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:12   #48
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

I asked my dad if it was those dishes and he said no - maybe the pictures weren't clear enough. He said it was at the end of a car park so that makes sense.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:55   #49
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

VMs TV feed goes to Langley direct from Luxembourg via fibre

any dishes o/s VM buuldings in the UK are now pretty much redundant.
Old 26-11-2010, 16:32   #50
Buffalo2102
Inactive

Buffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
I thnk Cable Plaza was a call centre before closing down after the ntl/Telewest merge.

The dishes, I think, are still there and can be seen from Sainsbury's car park. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...00857&t=h&z=20

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,155.59,,0,2.9
Cable Plaza is still in use by VM as offices etc.

Quote:
I asked my dad if it was those dishes and he said no - maybe the pictures weren't clear enough. He said it was at the end of a car park so that makes sense.
Those are the dishes that were used for the old Dudley headend. The headend isn't there any more though as it was moved to Wolverhampton.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
VMs TV feed goes to Langley direct from Luxembourg via fibre

any dishes o/s VM buuldings in the UK are now pretty much redundant.
Only some of the TV services come from Luxembourg.......not all.
Buffalo2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 01:07   #51
JG3870
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media (ex-Telewest) Broadband Size L/TV Size XL & V+ Box / Freesat
JG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to beholdJG3870 is a splendid one to behold

Does anybody know where the Wolverhampton headend is?
JG3870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 16:22   #52
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Massive thread necro, which I apologise for but does anyone know where the Telford headend is? I've had a look on Google Maps, around the industrial parks but can't see anything obvious.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 17:00   #53
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3870 View Post
Does anybody know where the Wolverhampton headend is?
In Wolverhampton.

Sorry couldn't resist.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 21:57   #54
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Massive thread necro, which I apologise for but does anyone know where the Telford headend is?
By strange coincidence, Wolverhampton
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 22:05   #55
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
By strange coincidence, Wolverhampton
That would be why I can't find it in Telford then lol. I always thought it was fed from Wolverhampton, didn't realise they were in the same building.
Old 08-02-2017, 00:18   #56
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That would be why I can't find it in Telford then lol. I always thought it was fed from Wolverhampton, didn't realise they were in the same building.
Hi Jon, when Cable Midlands launched in Newport and Telford they had a fairly big office presence on the Central Park business estate (opposite what is now Wickes/Aldi).

Unlike the rest of the franchise, initially Newport and Telford were unable to receive either a Channel 7 local channel, or The Box (which was also local service at that time). Channel 7 just showed a still caption and The Box channel number broadcast static.

I guess that either means there was some kind of play-out facility on site for them the be broadcasting differently to the rest of the Cable Midlands franchise, or it could mean the opposite and the lack of these local services meant it was all just fed from Wolves.

Last edited by Inactive Digital; 08-02-2017 at 00:21. Reason: Typos
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 00:57   #57
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Hi Jon, when Cable Midlands launched in Newport and Telford they had a fairly big office presence on the Central Park business estate (opposite what is now Wickes/Aldi).

Unlike the rest of the franchise, initially Newport and Telford were unable to receive either a Channel 7 local channel, or The Box (which was also local service at that time). Channel 7 just showed a still caption and The Box channel number broadcast static.

I guess that either means there was some kind of play-out facility on site for them the be broadcasting differently to the rest of the Cable Midlands franchise, or it could mean the opposite and the lack of these local services meant it was all just fed from Wolves.
Thanks for this. Think I may of found a Virgin related building in that area, on Google Maps. Has a few satellite dishes on the premises along with some vans outside. Whether it's still an office, a storage building or there's actually network equipment there, I'll leave to those more knowledgeable.

https://goo.gl/maps/Bj9aPYoDqEk

Last edited by Jon22; 08-02-2017 at 01:15.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:30   #58
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Uddingston Headend

http://i.imgur.com/WtUwUNt.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/cMF9JtD.jpg

Last edited by Martin_D; 08-02-2017 at 02:41.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:52   #59
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for this. Think I may of found a Virgin related building in that area, on Google Maps. Has a few satellite dishes on the premises along with some vans outside. Whether it's still an office, a storage building or there's actually network equipment there, I'll leave to those more knowledgeable.

https://goo.gl/maps/Bj9aPYoDqEk
That looks very likely, given the VM/Kelly vans - and is that the top of the old Telewest Communications logo on the larger dish? I work nearby so will go for a nose at some point!
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 14:10   #60
Jon22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
That looks very likely, given the VM/Kelly vans - and is that the top of the old Telewest Communications logo on the larger dish? I work nearby so will go for a nose at some point!
Certainly looks like the logo. Zooming out, there's what look like some air con units around the back of the small outbuilding and maybe a couple where the dishes are. It's quite a small building compared to the one Martin linked to at Uddingston.