Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 08-02-2017, 15:59   #151
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Ben or SP would be able to remark on that but suffice to say as with all new boxes with whatever company it is with there will always be bugs and glitches to iron out sadly.
Old 08-02-2017, 17:57   #152
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
A couple of times I've had my v6 cutting out - the screen goes blank and sound goes off for a second or half a second, then comes back on. This keeps happening in fairly quick succession (I tried uploading a video showing it happening, but the upload kept erroring.)

The first time this happened it seemed to stop after I switched the box to standby and back on again. The second time I had to reboot the box.

Is this a known issue?
That's not very good now is it, in fact that's really poor imo, hence the reason that i am hanging back on getting a V6 until things settle down, in fact i may even dump VM for TV soon, as i'm fed up with the constant price increases, and the offers being handed out to new customers.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 20:41   #153
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
A couple of times I've had my v6 cutting out - the screen goes blank and sound goes off for a second or half a second, then comes back on. This keeps happening in fairly quick succession (I tried uploading a video showing it happening, but the upload kept erroring.)

The first time this happened it seemed to stop after I switched the box to standby and back on again. The second time I had to reboot the box.

Is this a known issue?

It's worth trying basic things to rule out basic causes.
Try a known working HDMI lead (from another working connected device), and try different inputs to your TV

Also, check the video output setting on the V6.

My Telewest supplied HDMI cable on the V+ caused similar issues when I first got it years ago; a new HDMI cable fixed it. HDMI handshake can cause all sorts of problems as well.

It may not be any thing to do with these things, but at least you've checked the basics before getting an engineer out.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 22:31   #154
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Try a known working HDMI lead (from another working connected device)
Actually that isn't a reliable test. I've come across several HDMI cables that worked fine with an old TiVo, but cause blanking pictures or box lockups when used with a V6.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 00:01   #155
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Actually that isn't a reliable test. I've come across several HDMI cables that worked fine with an old TiVo, but cause blanking pictures or box lockups when used with a V6.

So, is there anyway to validate an HDMI cable then?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:27   #156
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
They transfer over with the series links. If you look in the manage series links (I think it's called that) they should be listed in there.
Nothing from my old TiVo was successfully transferred over.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:28   #157
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I've found it to be hit and miss.

Sometimes it copies first time - sometimes after 2-3 tries.

I've had it stilll no copying after 5-6 tries and have given up.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:09   #158
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Nothing from my old TiVo was successfully transferred over.
I've had this problem too. All of my series links transferred over from mm old TiVo without problem but despite repeated attempts my wish-lists will not for some unknown reason. I've raised this with tech support and they are looking into it and (hopefully) getting back to me before the two weeks allowed for such transfers is up after which it will no longer be possible.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:13   #159
i am not scouse
cf.member

Services: 65"Samsung 4k tv. X2 v6 x3tivo's 200mb bb and a phone line I don't use.
i am not scouse is on a distinguished roadi am not scouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Is this a known issue?
I've had this also. It happens out of the blue when I've changed channel. And persists until I turn the box on and off
i am not scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:48   #160
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I thought this was a similar issue with the earlier reports of the V6 box not waking from standby, but it does appear to be slightly different, and has only just started.
I have a Samsung UE40KU6100 television. When I turn the television on first thing in the morning there's no sound or picture, but the V6 box is showing as awake (white light). If I change the television source from HDMI to "television" (i.e. Freeview) and back, then the picture and sound come back.
I've tried using more than one of the television HDMI ports and it's the same with both.
It seems to happen when television or box haven't been used for a while (and I've also had the box sleep and wake, and stay awake all the time with suggestions on). This didn't start to happen until last Friday, and now it's every morning.
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Does anyone have any idea what is causing the issue and what the solution might be?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:16   #161
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
So, is there anyway to validate an HDMI cable then?
Not apart from trying them with a V6. New cables supplied by VM should be to the required spec, but I've learned to be wary of old or customer-supplied ones.
I agree in OLDGOLD's case it may well be an HDMI problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 13:10   #162
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not apart from trying them with a V6. New cables supplied by VM should be to the required spec, but I've learned to be wary of old or customer-supplied ones.
I agree in OLDGOLD's case it may well be an HDMI problem.
Is HDMI cable likely to be the cause of my issues above? (No picture on Samsung when it's turned on in the morning and have to switch to television and back to HDMI for a picture from the V6).
Old 09-02-2017, 13:38   #163
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Is HDMI cable likely to be the cause of my issues above? (No picture on Samsung when it's turned on in the morning and have to switch to television and back to HDMI for a picture from the V6).
That's more likely a compatibility problem. Is it a direct connection from V6 to TV, or do you have any HDMI switches/splitters etc? Have you checked the TV firmware is up to date? If that doesn't resolve it, you might have to wait for the next V6 software update for a fix
Old 09-02-2017, 14:07   #164
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Replacement remote on the way as this one randomly loses pairing with V6. Known issue apparently. Other forum reports that if you squeeze the base it works properly!
Old 09-02-2017, 14:46   #165
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That's more likely a compatibility problem. Is it a direct connection from V6 to TV, or do you have any HDMI switches/splitters etc? Have you checked the TV firmware is up to date? If that doesn't resolve it, you might have to wait for the next V6 software update for a fix
Direct connect. I only noticed it from about Friday last week.
Yes, double-checked this morning that television software was up to date (it's set to update automatically).
I notice at least one other person has the same issue, but another with a Samsung television doesn't have the problem.

Trouble is VM could easily pass the issue off as fault on television, whilst they pass it back to VM.