Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Credit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Universal Credit

Old 17-03-2015, 23:03   #16
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Universal Credit

I think Zero Contracts is similar to Agency work. If you register with them - you don't get money unless you work for them.

UC is one of the worst benefit systems you get. Its a way that the JC are forcing people back into taking low paid jobs. It is basically taking people back to the days when, you had to queue outside a factory. And you were then chosen for the job, by the foreman.

All this rubbish from employers about if they paid high wages, they would go bust. Total rubbish. What they are saying, if we pay low wages, we wont make a profit.

I am not looking to retiring, l am due to retire in two years time. But wont. As l need to support my family, and l was told that OAP's pension is only £115 per week. How can you survive on that.

And then you apply for a job to back up a pension, only to be told 'you are over experienced' Ive been told several times that one
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2015, 00:09   #17
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Find a place that needs a town crier, you should be excellent at the sort of job.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:15   #18
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Find a place that needs a town crier, you should be excellent at the sort of job.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 14:42   #19
Jayo
Inactive

Jayo is an unknown quantity at this point

I made a claim for universal credit as my old company closed trading. It is Dire to date I have had 3 letters off them , 1. First was to say we need more information.... So I called at expense to me and was told the computer automatically generates this letter and they did not need more info.
2. The second and 3. Third letter stated You ( meaning me) have changed details and this may effect your award, we will write to you to inform you of the outcome.
Considering you have to wait for 6 weeks for any sort of payment , and during this period are being informed your pitance may be reduced and or stopped, This is causing stress and undue worry. After my third phonecall I was then informed that I should Disregard the letters because they are generated when they process and update their systems. 3 letters that have had me in a panic, and still no award notice to date , yet I am finally due my payment in 4 days. This system is severely flawed, leaves you in debt everywhere, landlord, borrowings to survive etc.
And to the person or Persons who say what ya whinging at ya being given free money. I do hope you never loose your job, or that your children and or family never find themselves in a situation where they need such help. Also its not free money, I've paid into the welfare state all my life with Taxes etc. So wind ya necks in .Not everyone who requires benefits are as Chanel four or the government would have you believe. Just shows the ignorance of some people who would go through a registration process on a help forum to be a sarcastic sod. Obviously they have way too much time on their hand between benefits street and political propaganda.
Jayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 14:45   #20
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I might have descibe it as a 'tax', its a crippling benefit. That should be scrapped.

Its similar to the BT. But what this government is doing, is focing people to take pathetic low paid jobs, on zero hour contracts, just to get them off the benefit,.

I am soon to retire, but l will have to conitinue to work in some capacity, as l would not survive on the benefits or pension that this pathic government supply.

Sometimes l feel that this pathetic look after other countries, then there own people

Get a better job so you can contribute more in NI & Tax
Get a second job
Pay into a private pension to supplement your state pension.

It's not rocket science is it?
Old 17-12-2015, 14:59   #21
Jayo
Inactive

The Ignorance. Get a better job , like its just that simple, not everyone is highly paid and already have to budget from week to week and decide what they are going to do without. So how therefore can they pay into a private pension scheme , and do you not remember how many people who have lost from private pension schemes that have gone under. Get a second job ! Lol the guy/gal just said they are reaching retirement age fgs . I was in the job center yesterday with my mentor {yes that's what they are called nowadays... Advisor} who informed me that in two weeks since I have attended their are no new jobs for me. In two weeks. I think you need to take a long hard look at the facts and show some respect. Your basically attacking someone who is nearing pension age. Ignorant at best .
Old 17-12-2015, 15:25   #22
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
The Ignorance. Get a better job , like its just that simple, not everyone is highly paid and already have to budget from week to week and decide what they are going to do without. So how therefore can they pay into a private pension scheme , and do you not remember how many people who have lost from private pension schemes that have gone under. Get a second job ! Lol the guy/gal just said they are reaching retirement age fgs . I was in the job center yesterday with my mentor {yes that's what they are called nowadays... Advisor} who informed me that in two weeks since I have attended their are no new jobs for me. In two weeks. I think you need to take a long hard look at the facts and show some respect. Your basically attacking someone who is nearing pension age. Ignorant at best .
It's not ignorance it's a simple fact.

I live in one of the most deprived areas of the country (Middlesbrough) where the average salary is way below the UK national average. I started off right at the very bottom when I was a kid and grafted my arse off. When my mates were out on the beer I was studying. I'm now in a situation that whilst i do a four hour return commute each day I earn a decent salary, and I already save and invest for my retirement.

A good friend of my mine is european director of a global software company, fifteen years ago he was a homeless alcoholic and he bust his guts to get where he is

Im attacking the post which insinuates that the government or society owes them everything, is the job centre the only place to look to find a job? No of course it isn't

We aren't owed a single thing and we have to make our own chances in life. yours and the post I quoted are systematically evident of the proportion of our society who think they're owed everything

There are companies who are actively recruiting people near or past retirement age due to their knowledge and experience !!
Old 17-12-2015, 16:06   #23
Jayo
Inactive

Well done to you and your friends, I served in the British army and have had no higher than managerial position since leaving the armed forces, its not down to just "grafting your ass off" It is to what's available and circumstance also if as obv. Happened with you the correct person in interviews see's your potential. I have grafted my ass off all my life and will continue to do so , and these companies that actively recruit older people because of their Experience are few and far between nowadays its not 1990 anymore since the governments initiative scheme for employers ended ( to recruit older people) many of your so called companies that actively recruit older people have stopped doing so because they can get 3 18 year old college students for the same minimum wage they can get someone over the age of 25 {25 for minimum wage highest rate} as taking on older folk (over say 55)may be more expensive and counter productive due to work limitations such as heavy lifting etc. Its quite folly to say get a better job , when most work is at minimum wage nowadays and just who is going to invest 3 maybe 4 years into someone of the age of 60 to get them a higher salary ? Nobody that's who. Your also saying someone of 60 or more should do full time employment. At minimum wage then get another job ontop without knowing personal circumstances such as maybe also only carer for their spouse or partner, their in lies the ignorance. I congratulate you on working hard and getting the job you wanted and the salary you deserve, to your friend also who turned his life around. But you are neglecting to take in personal circumstance and are folly to believe that because you and One of your friends managed to do this then Everyone can. If you did some research you would see that even though this figure of 2.2 million unemployed being bandied about by our government it is actually propaganda, due to the sanctions and disallowances by the welfare scheme and the amount of people who are in work and having to use schemes such as food banks and the likes is near the 4million mark, but they wouldn't want that on the news. I am just saying someone nearing retirement after having paid into the welfare scheme for most if not all of their working life Are due something. That's why they payed in , in the first place. Not everything is black and white

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Paid # sorry autocorrect.
Old 17-12-2015, 16:12   #24
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Well done to you and your friends, I served in the British army and have had no higher than managerial position since leaving the armed forces, its not down to just "grafting your ass off" It is to what's available and circumstance also if as obv. Happened with you the correct person in interviews see's your potential. I have grafted my ass off all my life and will continue to do so , and these companies that actively recruit older people because of their Experience are few and far between nowadays its not 1990 anymore since the governments initiative scheme for employers ended ( to recruit older people) many of your so called companies that actively recruit older people have stopped doing so because they can get 3 18 year old college students for the same minimum wage they can get someone over the age of 25 as taking on older folk may be more expensive and counter productive due to work limitations such as heavy lifting etc. Its quite folly to say get a better job , when most work is at minimum wage nowadays and just who is going to invest 3 maybe 4 years into someone of the age of 60 to get them a higher salary ? Nobody that's who. Your also saying someone of 60 or more should do full time employment. At minimum wage then get another job ontop without knowing personal circumstances such as maybe also only carer for their spouse or partner, their in lies the ignorance. I congratulate you on working hard and getting the job you wanted and the salary you deserve, to your friend also who turned his life around. But you are neglecting to take in personal circumstance and are folly to believe that because you and One of your friends managed to do this then Everyone can. If you did some research you would see that even though this figure of 2.2 million unemployed being bandied about by our government it is actually propaganda, due to the sanctions and disallowances by the welfare scheme and the amount of people who are in work and having to use schemes such as food banks and the likes is near the 4million mark, but they wouldn't want that on the news. I am just saying someone nearing retirement after having paid into the welfare scheme for most if not all of their working life Are due something. That's why they played in , in the first place. Not everything is black and white

My brother in law served in the forces (a sapper IIRC) who did two tours in the gulf and i think did one in AG but not sure.

He came out of the army and basically dossed about sleeping at members of families houses. For him life changed when he met his now wife. It spurred him on to improve himself and now he has a career on the rigs as a lead electrician.

He also lives in Boro.....

We dont pay NI etc for our future, we're paying it in to support those currently receiving the state pension and/or other. The people who will be paying for your or my state pension more than likely haven't been born yet !!

Why is that not everyone can do it? What is stopping them? (This isn't having a go I'm genuinely interested to see your response)

Thanks
Old 17-12-2015, 17:09   #25
Jayo
Inactive

As I stated before personal circumstance, the right person seeing potential, the face fits, association with higher ranking individuals , their are many factors , Also happy to hear about a former comrade who served then slumbered , but then turned his life around ( always good to here , positivity ) I am pretty sure their will be no state pension by the time You and I reach retirement age ,( I am making an assumption you are below say 45yrs old. ) apologies! Many many people who have worked their entire life on minimum age or lower end wages and never claimed a penny have probably came across a manager or senior worker who did not have the experience nor the knowledge of their job and pondered why they themselves are not in that position. Its about The breaks as much as hard work and commitment. I have previously had to employ lesser suited people for vacancies due to My Brief given by my Seniors , For instance I had to turn down a Gentleman with 15 years of experience in retail and customer service because even though the vacancy posted salery at £9500- £15,000 depending on experience, I was told to find a suitable candidate at the lowest end of the scale. Even though the recruit would be working in my store and under my guidance I had to take on someone of lesser experience because of the money factor. The old adage (brown stuff rolls downhill) seems to still apply these days. True their are many shylarks and benefit scroungers about. And this should not at all be tolerated, maybe a system such as Germany has in place would be more productive, cost affective to the country, whereby if you or I should need some sort of welfare state that you are paid at your previous salary for a year and one year only, then you cannot receive any more benefits or state help if you are fit and able for work. This would certainly stop the layabouts and scroungers. As they would have had to have meaningful employment. I am not saying it would be perfect .... But surely better than what was in place and much more reasonable for the unfortunate. Have a great day and wish me some luck. Off for an Interview.
Old 17-12-2015, 19:08   #26
mrmistoffelees

The very best of luck I hope it went well !!!
Old 30-07-2016, 23:24   #27
Linnie
Inactive

Linnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always worked though became unemployed as my temp contract ended I had to start claiming UC I then received a small part of my usual wage £386 as you have to wait at least 5 weeks for a UC payment this last wage helped me buy food and pay for gas & electric and have cash for my phone and attend interviews for the next 5 weeks. I tried to phone the UC on the 0345 number and could not ever get through I then went to see my US (Advisor) who does not Advise you of anything he just sits there slowly typing on his pc I then used the job centres phone and got through to the 0345 number within a minute? and was told that they had been back logged fair enough and a payment was on its way to me though UC would be Deducting from my last wage an amount of of £319 which would only leave me with £67 to do me for a further month I do not care what anyone says I worked hard for that last wage and UC had no right to take it I also had the run around to claim rent as the Advisor sent me twice to the wrong places and then had to go back to Main Housing as they were requesting a UC letter as proof? a letter that I hadnt yet received due to back log! More cash used for bus fares as too far away to walk. This UC Benefit paid monthly is not to Benefit us who are genuine and looking for work every day its designed to make claimants Miserable as possible and you just keep Hitting a Wall of Silence?
I asked my Advisor what do I do if I get a new job say for example on Monday and I can not keep trying to get through to UC 0345 to tell them when I would be too busy in work he replied eh oh just keep trying to phone UC or pop in to job centre! eh? how can I pop in if im in work? there should be an email address to make it easier to contact them if you start a new job aw well hope I get a new job fast and get to keep my sanity & good luck to all UC Claimants!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

No I do not agree with your comment or all the Smug people out there who are blinded by this Greedy Government! The reason the UC would rather pay claimants monthly except for the first 7 days lol is to Benefit them and not the Claimant it saves them Administration costs ect and makes Claimants Suffer Hardship for Longer nothing to do with the world of work where you get paid monthly also the little amount you receive from UC Benefit is not even enough to cover you for a month unlike a wage even then the wages are not as high for doing the same job as before I know this as I have always worked also UC would rather pay Claimants Housing Benefits Direct rather than to Landlords this may be another save on Admin ect or test a Desperate Claimant who could be tempted to spend some of their Rent Payment then be evicted from property not that the UC usualy PAYS Full Rent anyway lol its Shocking how others Judge unfortunate genuine hard up job seeking people of this totally unfair World Ruled by GreedySmug idiots.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

I used to find that if you took say a 3 or 6 month temp contract job then your Employer would normally if you were a hard worker give you a Perm Contract.

What I am seeing is that Employers have got on the Bandwagon of Hire 17yr olds as the pay them less and sugar coat it and call it an Apprenticeship more like an excuse to pay a 17 year old a very low wage!
Ive worked next to 17yr olds and its unfair that they do the same hard work as a 25 year old or older and yet get alot less! Yes they are getting the experience on their CV THOUGH They dont all have their parents to help them with living costs as their parents could be on Benefits or low paid jobs themselves.

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

I must be seeming too Desperate to Employers at Job interviews as I am Desperate due to being Unemployed and on Universal Crap Credit and so far ive coped and now as more time goes by Im Totally Desperate to get Employed I get up at 5.30am or 6am every morning and start searching for a new Job and ive not got one yet I have been for an interview on Friday
I so hope I get that Job!
Linnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 00:57   #28
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Lets get one thing straight. I have been Unemployed three times in my life. I am 64 now and am NOT looking to retiring.

My pension will be crap fro the Government.

When k was unemployed, l was given rubbish work from the JC, my benefit was very poor.well below the poverty line.

I done everything possible to get a job. I was told that l had to WALK ten miles to find a job.

I lost a job THREE times, when the JC, told me to sign on. when l had interviews for a job. At the same time. the JC insisted that l had to sign on at my correct time or lose benefit.

The insulting thing was was. I had FIVE letters fir interviews in ONE WEEK. They told me that l was not trying hard enough.

You are just a number, to them.

I sat for hours on the A4 near where l live. Contacted companies each day.

Luckily l found a job, where l am still employed for the past five years. Threatened with redundancies due to the Conservative Cuts TWICE.

But now just working out my last two years.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 04:36   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
... its a crippling benefit.
LOL, I almost choked on my drink as I read that.

Please do tell how giving people free money, for doing nothing, is "crippling" ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:44   #30
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Why the government, to use the term very loosely, thinks it's better to pay housing benefit to the claimant is unclear. I can only assume they're saving money on admin by doing away with housing benefit. In other words, it benefits them, not us.[/FONT]
It's always been the case that the money you get is yours to do with as you will ,a claimant has always had the option to either get the money in full or have rent money paid directly to a landlord (even in private rents) .It has always been considered normal practice to pay council tenants directly because the HB came from the council and went to the council in rent so it took minimal administration .Nowadays it's different because most LA's use private housing companies to manage stock and there are a lot more private tenants .Also it gives tenants more control over the landlord should there be issues with quality of housing.

My son claimed UC for about 3 weeks at the start of the year (signed off in 1st week of feb),he got a job and 2 monthly pay checks before he got any money and last week he got a letter stating that his change of circumstances meant he wouldn't get any more money he phoned up to query it and was told "we are a bit behind"

---------- Post added at 08:44 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:
This system is severely flawed, leaves you in debt everywhere, landlord, borrowings to survive etc.
Have to say the new system does seem to move as fast as continental drift ,but as far as housing benefit is concerned that has always taken about 6-8 weeks to get going so no change there