Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-09-2012, 14:18   #46
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
This is massive news. I am staggerred that they have chosen to break away the English Heineken Cup games. This has huge implications for Sky sports.

And huge implications for pay per view. As far as I'm cocnerned anyway.
Now this is a temptation to me to look at what BT has to offer.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:30   #47
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Now this is a temptation to me to look at what BT has to offer.
Me too. Big time.

I could live without (some) football. But not rugby, especially Heineken Cup. This is proper game changing.

Interesting though that the English clubs seemed to have brokered a deal with BT behind the backs of sky and the ERC. Where does that leave the rest of us?
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 15:00   #48
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Welcome the new contender to the Sporting arena BT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...redirect=false

In my opinion the writings on the wall for ESPN.
I totally agree MM mate writing on wall for ESPN in uk now can see espn being removed from xl pack at end of the football season
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 15:25   #49
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Agreed I think we will see a slow with drawl from the UK market with may be just ESPN America surviving.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 15:37   #50
Jameseh

Maybe BT will cripple ESPN to a degree where they buy them?
Old 12-09-2012, 15:45   #51
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
That is very possible. I can see Ray Stubbs on BT channel.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:00   #52
Jameseh

I hope we somehow end up with it in the XL pack again, I couldn't see myself paying any more for TV.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:13   #53
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

The current NFL Monday night deal with the BBC only lasts a year , so BT could potentially acquire those rights also.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:16   #54
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

For once l agree with you.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:42   #55
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

A Disney company - I doubt it.
However that does not mean a withdrawal from the UK market is not on the cards
Old 12-09-2012, 16:44   #56
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I hope we somehow end up with it in the XL pack again, I couldn't see myself paying any more for TV.
I can't see it happening.

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainme...otball-rights/

"How much will the channel cost / will this mean I end up paying more for Premier League football?

Our objective is to widen the enjoyment of Premier League football and make it less dependent on signing up to an expensive pay TV package."

That to me suggests they have no intention of the channel going into the XL package with Virgin.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:46   #57
Jameseh

Oh I know there isn't a chance in hell, but they can always offer it on smaller packages individually.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:51   #58
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I personally see it included on BT Vision packages with customers of other platforms having to pay a monthly fee to access it.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 16:57   #59
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
I personally see it included on BT Vision packages with customers of other platforms having to pay a monthly fee to access it.
They will have to get a lot more rights to make it worth while to subscribe as a stand alone. We will also have to see how VM deal with BT.
Old 12-09-2012, 17:21   #60
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

BT has spent £890 million on sports rights so far. If the channel launches at £10.00 per month they will need around 22 million subscribers to take the channel for 4 years just for them to break even. Based on previous Setanta Sports and ESPN subscriber numbers, I think BT will be lucky to get more than 1.5 million people taking the channel. Didn’t Setanta peak at about 1.1 million?

If and when BT land more sports rights you’ve really got to start to wonder how much money they are prepared to throw at this. Can anyone really see BT overtaking SKY as the nation’s favourite TV provider?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote