Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sight impaired locked out of online world as fonts become unreadable.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sight impaired locked out of online world as fonts become unreadable.

Old 24-10-2016, 22:16   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Sight impaired locked out of online world as fonts become unreadable.

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-da...81672549481554

Whilst I think that website developers ought to be made aware of this, wouldn't a text to speech solution be better for them?

...or isn't it that simple??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2016, 10:50   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Sight impaired locked out of online world as fonts become unreadable.

I think I'd agree with the sentiment. Try to make content "look good" can sometimes make it harder to use.
And text to speech can be too slow, I can read much,much faster and you may only be interested in a paragraph or so not to have the whole text read out.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:59   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I thought there was long-standing legislation to prevent this? I remember a lot of sites changed overnight to accommodate the rules?
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:29   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I think I'd agree with the sentiment. Try to make content "look good" can sometimes make it harder to use.
And text to speech can be too slow, I can read much,much faster and you may only be interested in a paragraph or so not to have the whole text read out.
I didn't know that text to speech involved having to have the whole article read out!

Do you find the colours of this website difficult to read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I thought there was long-standing legislation to prevent this? I remember a lot of sites changed overnight to accommodate the rules?
I've not heard of anything, that's not to say that this legislation doesn't exist!

Maybe the Equalities Act could be used to make webmasters more mindful of disability needs??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:37   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

http://www.webcredible.com/blog/disa...accessibility/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 19:51   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Try reading the labels on food items. Small text and awkward colour combinations. I keep a magnifying glass in the kitchen to cope with them.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 20:40   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I didn't know that text to speech involved having to have the whole article read out!

Do you find the colours of this website difficult to read?

I've not heard of anything, that's not to say that this legislation doesn't exist!

Maybe the Equalities Act could be used to make webmasters more mindful of disability needs??

As with the DDA it only applies to websites who are service providers. The DDA only applies to service providers not private websites I should imagine the EA is the same.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote