Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Super hub 2 v's Superhub 3 for Wi-fi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Super hub 2 v's Superhub 3 for Wi-fi

Old 25-10-2016, 11:56   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Super hub 2 v's Superhub 3 for Wi-fi

Hi all

Due to on going Wi-Fi issues Virgin Media have offered me a new super hub 3 to try and improve things (although I had to take out a 12 month contract) !

In people's option is the super hub 3 an improvement on 2 in terms of Wi-Fi signals ?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2016, 12:56   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Super hub 2 v's Superhub 3 for Wi-fi

Not as far as I can see

Having said that, Wifi issues aren't really Virgin's responsibility, beyond a hardware fault with the hub. If you're having issues, it's going to be caused by local congestion or interference, neither of which will magically vanish if you get a SH3.

Your best bet would be to bite the bullet and purchase your own Wifi Router, put your hub into Modem mode and be done with it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 15:09   #3
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not as far as I can see

Having said that, Wifi issues aren't really Virgin's responsibility, beyond a hardware fault with the hub. If you're having issues, it's going to be caused by local congestion or interference, neither of which will magically vanish if you get a SH3.

Your best bet would be to bite the bullet and purchase your own Wifi Router, put your hub into Modem mode and be done with it.
I am thinking that maybe the way to go (just need to get myself a suitable router ???)

Thanks for the advice

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 17:50   #4
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I'm lucky with my hub 3 the wifi is pretty good apart from the bathroom which is the furthest point away
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 17:40   #5
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not as far as I can see

Wi-fi in the hubs have been the very definition of a hardware fault, everybody who can afford a decent router does.
Mate, I have had the SH2 and the SH3 and they are the best cable modems on the market for 200mb
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:40   #6
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I found here that I could get the range on the SH3 that I had on the SH2ac.

The SH3 was even replaced but still the same range as the old one.

I may have been I had a good SH2ac.

I opted to use my own Netgear router in the end which was better than both.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 18:47   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Wi-fi in the hubs have been the very definition of a hardware fault, everybody who can afford a decent router does.
Poor performance doesn't mean it's a fault with the hardware, it means the design is bad (or cheap). If you buy a cheap router, you'll get similar (or worse) performance. Unfortunately, you very often get what you pay for with this tech.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote