Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free cloud storage recommendation?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Free cloud storage recommendation?

Old 13-03-2016, 12:35   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Question Free cloud storage recommendation?

I am looking for some FREE cloud storage for photos, it needs to have 500GB+ storage.

The 2 i have seen so far are Google Photos which is unlimited but is restricted on resolution and Flickr which has 1TB free storage but unsure whether resolution is restricted.

Are there any others someone could recommend?
Old 13-03-2016, 12:38   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Free cloud storage recommendation?

SnoopZ beat me to it as I was going to ask nearly the same question.

I'm looking for cheap decent cloud storage which I can easily sync in folders for data I don't want to lose.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 13:42   #3
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Far as flickr goes, try this: http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flick.../#ydGz37_lbEq9

Quote:
Which Flickr Pro Features are Now Available for Free?
The biggest advantage of Flickr Pro was that more than 200 photos were viewable in a photostream, users could only upload 100MB of photos a week and photos were not displayed in full resolution.

With the new Flickr, free users now get 1TB of photo uploads, and the maximum photo size is now 200MB (it was 10MB for free users before). What's more, all users can create collections, post to up to 60 group pools and limit the maximum image size available to others.

Free users can also upload full HD videos up to 1GB each, with playback of three minutes.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 14:29   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

There's unlimited photo storage IF you have Amazon Prime?

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 14:40   #5
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

I would be suspicous of what the T&C's are for free storage especially for the amount in question. Do you still have copyright ownership for any pictures for example. Other questions re: security, business model, how long the company be be around for, bulk file download for retrieval, client platform availibility, etc. also need to be asked ..

The Office 365 subscription offers a good deal as a solution for this problem. If you use Office on your devices that the value is increased. For a family of 4 or 5, Office 365 Home at ~£60 per year is pretty good value ..
Old 13-03-2016, 19:01   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I am looking for some FREE cloud storage for photos, it needs to have 500GB+ storage.

The 2 i have seen so far are Google Photos which is unlimited but is restricted on resolution and Flickr which has 1TB free storage but unsure whether resolution is restricted.

Are there any others someone could recommend?
The problem is if your internet is down you cannot get access to your files which is why I keep all file locally in three places.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:05   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
The problem is if your internet is down you cannot get access to your files which is why I keep all file locally in three places.
If your house burns down or you get robbed then your plan goes pear shaped, this is what i am trying to avoid, the internet being down is very minor and hardly ever happens.
Old 13-03-2016, 19:09   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If your house burns down or you get robbed then your plan goes pear shaped, this is what i am trying to avoid, the internet being down is very minor and hardly every happens.

Yep, same here.
Old 13-03-2016, 19:26   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Has anyone tried Amazon Cloud Drive, it costs $11.99 a year for unlimited photos, are there any file size restrictions?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/pr..._lm_navpricing
Old 13-03-2016, 19:30   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
If your house burns down or you get robbed then your plan goes pear shaped, this is what i am trying to avoid, the internet being down is very minor and hardly ever happens.
Yes if all of your backups are in your house which is why one of my backups are held else ware.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:30   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

I know that part of thier web services (AWS) they do online storage where you get charged monthly for space used and transferred but didn't know they did a fixed price package. Any idea if you get a choice of data centres like their AWS?
Old 18-03-2016, 12:09   #12
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

I use a storage box from Hetzner for my photo backups (and any other files).

https://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produ...-produktmatrix

Few quid a month for a 500GB box and you can upgrade/downgrade too. Accessible over FTP, SMB, etc so quite versatile.

I'm not affiliated with them I just use their product and recommend it
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 23:18   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I have so far ended up using Flickrs free 1TB storage for my photos and it keeps them the same resolution as the original unlike Google photos and pretty pleased with it so far.

As for Amazon's unlimited storage for $11.99 the best the UK site offer is 1TB for £320 a year or unlimited if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I have so far ended up using Flickrs free 1TB storage for my photos and it keeps them the same resolution as the original unlike Google photos and pretty pleased with it so far.

As for Amazon's unlimited storage for $11.99 the best the UK site offer is 1TB for £320 a year or unlimited if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.
Thanks for pointing out the Amazon Prime photo storage - I have 37GB of photos backed up to MS OneDrive, but another site is always useful (I am a Prime customer, and also back my photos up to a removable drive).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:10   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thanks for pointing out the Amazon Prime photo storage - I have 37GB of photos backed up to MS OneDrive, but another site is always useful (I am a Prime customer, and also back my photos up to a removable drive).
So now Amazon Prime UK has unlimited photo storage i am using that, the desktop app is very easy to use in uploading the photos but there doesn't seem to be an option to specify a folder or drive to automatically upload if a photo is dropped there, does this option exist?