Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multiroom pre-installation query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Multiroom pre-installation query

Old 21-10-2016, 20:16   #1
grimbo
Inactive

grimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Multiroom pre-installation query

Hi,

I am switching to VM from sky and have a question about the Virgin's multi room set-up. I have signed up the VIP bundle which comes with an additional Tivo box. I have a separate double garage about 15 metres from the main house with a large room above it. Currently i have sky multiroom in there but sky had to install a separate dish as they decided themselves this was the best option. I only 2 virgin wall sockets (both in the lounge) which we asked to be installed as it was an option for a new build house. I would like to know the following if anyone can help:

1. Does an additional tivo box have to be connected to a virgin wall socket in every room it is in and if so does the installer put these in if the room e.g. bedroom doesn't have one?
2. Will i be able to replicate my current sky set-up in the room above the garage if i have my second tivo box in this room (ideal scenario). The room does have power and wireless internet through powerline and is on the same wiring loom as the main house.

Any help much appreciated,

Grimbo
grimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2016, 22:03   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Multiroom pre-installation query

Every item of VM kit has to be connected to a VM cable, so having TiVo in your garage will rely on VM being able to run a cable out to it. Whether they're prepared to run 15 metres of cable that way, I don't know. What sort of ground would such a cable be crossing? Could it be buried?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 22:07   #3
grimbo
Inactive

grimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. The cable could run around the house along a brick wall if it could be tacked to the wall or alternatively it could be buried as it goes over a grass lawn. Would the cable be protected though if it was exposed to the elements? Does the length of cable affect the signal? Excuse my ignorance on this!
grimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:05   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If signal is an issue they can fit a booster. Your only real problem is going to be getting them to run a cable across open ground, or burying it. Your best hope is to dig a channel yourself, and if you want it armoured, put your own ducting in. The install teams are under severe time pressure and it's highly unlikely* your install tech would do any digging or back-filling.

* For which read, totally not going to happen
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote