Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can I get a soundbar whose volume is controlled by the TV?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can I get a soundbar whose volume is controlled by the TV?

Old 11-10-2016, 14:48   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Can I get a soundbar whose volume is controlled by the TV?

I need a 'for dummies' explanation of what to look for in Soundbars. I want one where I can do the following:
  • It plays whatever is on the TV. So Xbox, Sky, Apple TV is all routed via the TV rather than having to connect them all to the soundbar
  • The volume control is still on the TV and not the soundbar. I don't want to have to have two different volume controls.

Any idea?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2016, 17:25   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can I get a soundbar whose volume is controlled by the TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I need a 'for dummies' explanation of what to look for in Soundbars. I want one where I can do the following:
  • It plays whatever is on the TV. So Xbox, Sky, Apple TV is all routed via the TV rather than having to connect them all to the soundbar
  • The volume control is still on the TV and not the soundbar. I don't want to have to have two different volume controls.

Any idea?
You might want to check the options on the TV for the output to the bar. Our Sony under the sound settings has the option to slave the audio output (to our subwoofer) to the TV volume control so the subwoofer only has to have its output setup once.
Old 11-10-2016, 20:04   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

Any idea?
I just got one of these

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...44845-pdt.html

It's connected via an optical cable and has it's own remote ,however my SkyQ remotes work the volume so no reason why any other remote wouldn't operate it .Just one connection (optical cable) from the soundbar to the tv and everything ,including the PS3 is working through the soundbar and the sub woofer is wireless .
Old 11-10-2016, 21:43   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Cool. I might try something like that. I really don't want a third remote around the place :/
Old 11-10-2016, 22:48   #5
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

You could always invest in a logitech harmony then you'll only ever need to use 1 remote no matter how many devices you have.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 23:05   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

So the two things you'd need to look out for are:

HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel)

The ARC will send the soundbar whatever the TV audio is via an HDMI connection. This does depend on your TV supporting it.

HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

This is normally branded by different companies (for instance Samsung call it Anynet+) but the aim is to allow your TV to control attached devices via the HDMI connection. This would mean the soundbar comes on when your TV comes on, and the volume of the soundbar is controlled by the TV too.

As long as you have both of these supported on your TV and Soundbar, then you can achieve what you're after
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
So the two things you'd need to look out for are:

HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel)

The ARC will send the soundbar whatever the TV audio is via an HDMI connection. This does depend on your TV supporting it.

HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

This is normally branded by different companies (for instance Samsung call it Anynet+) but the aim is to allow your TV to control attached devices via the HDMI connection. This would mean the soundbar comes on when your TV comes on, and the volume of the soundbar is controlled by the TV too.

As long as you have both of these supported on your TV and Soundbar, then you can achieve what you're after
That looks promising! Mine would be BRAVIA SYNC from the research I have done.

So get a BRAVIA SYNC soundbar and all should be well....
Old 12-10-2016, 10:08   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. For Sony this one seems to be the minimum soundbar they do that has HDMI connections

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-ct380