Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone else having problems in Lincoln?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 4 / Telephone

Old 30-01-2020, 12:15   #1
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Hub 4 / Telephone

Does anybody know whether or not I should have been sent a phone cable to plug my analogue phone (VM contract) into the Hub 4? Or are there some gotchas?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2020, 13:11   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hub 4 / Telephone

The Hub 4 doesn't change the Telephone type you've got. So if you've got a separate line you'll keep that until Virgin Media offer an option to move across to the Hub based line.

Only if you're joining now for the first time will you automatically get a Hub based line - and you'd get the appropriate adapter.

There is an exception to this where some areas are having their standalone (called TDM) lines switched off, and migrated across to the Hub based lines. But they've had specific letters about that so it's now something you'd miss.
Old 30-01-2020, 15:01   #3
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Clear enough, thanks.

Old 30-01-2020, 17:36   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The Hub 4 doesn't change the Telephone type you've got. So if you've got a separate line you'll keep that until Virgin Media offer an option to move across to the Hub based line.

Only if you're joining now for the first time will you automatically get a Hub based line - and you'd get the appropriate adapter.

There is an exception to this where some areas are having their standalone (called TDM) lines switched off, and migrated across to the Hub based lines. But they've had specific letters about that so it's now something you'd miss.
What would be the advantage of a hub based phone ? Seems to me best to keep the phone separate in case the hub goes down - not great in an emergency.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 17:48   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What would be the advantage of a hub based phone ? Seems to me best to keep the phone separate in case the hub goes down - not great in an emergency.

Or if the Internet goes down
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:13   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That's when your mobile phone comes in handy...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:21   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There isn't really an advantage of one over the other as such at present

However for full FTTP addresses it's the only way to get a fixed line as there is no metal cable to the address, and even in some HFC areas new connections are only now cabled with coax rather than the twin coax and telco cable.

The key long term advantage is that it will allow Virgin to offer better services on the Hub based lines - some of the kit running the existing telco network is many many years old and can't be updated to new features and services.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Or if the Internet goes down
The Hub based phone lines are on separate network with in the Hub. So it will be possible for there to be a Virgin Fibre fault that doesn't affect the phone line or vice versa.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's when your mobile phone comes in handy...
And for anyone that doesn't have one, Virgin will currently provide an emergency backup unit that will allow a call to 999 from a connected wired landline handset.
Old 30-01-2020, 18:35   #8
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
<SNIP>
The Hub based phone lines are on separate network with in the Hub. So it will be possible for there to be a Virgin Fibre fault that doesn't affect the phone line or vice versa.

<SNIP>
That's the bit I don't understand. I can see how the phone service would be on its own frequency but that'll be over the same glass.
Or will it? Can you please explain more?

Old 30-01-2020, 20:10   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's the bit I don't understand. I can see how the phone service would be on its own frequency but that'll be over the same glass.
Or will it? Can you please explain more?
If the fibre is broken you'll lose both, but there are other types of fault that may only affect one them.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 20:13   #10
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If the fibre is broken you'll lose both, but there are other types of fault that may only affect one them.
Of course I understand that. Ben was explicit about a "fibre fault".

Old 30-01-2020, 21:18   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The only advantage I can see is for Virgin Media. Only one line to install/maintain. For the customer, it's 'all your eggs in one basket/hub' !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 21:30   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
With a capital F. It's the trendy new name for VM broadband.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 21:44   #13
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

But copper broadband is Fibre, Hybrid Coax is Fibre, Fibre is Fibre, a bowl of Muesli is probably fricking Fibre with Ooomph.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 23:43   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
With a capital F. It's the trendy new name for VM broadband.
Yes, sorry for any confusion there.
Old 31-01-2020, 18:54   #15
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The only advantage I can see is for Virgin Media. Only one line to install/maintain. For the customer, it's 'all your eggs in one basket/hub' !
Cost should be much lower as there's no physical line to maintain. Realistically, it's now a VoIP trunk which are cheap cheap and better quality, too.

But the price we pay for line rental is vastly inflated over the actual cost of those so I don't expect that saving to really impact customers.

It's something that would have been better 10 or 20 years ago but these days, mobile phones are everywhere and a better alternative to Landlines.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote